• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Ranger

t2boats

Yes, that's a good idea, you know I've used those mini Tamiya connectors - they do not look strong enough to take a lipo

I'll permanently change the rx/esc connection to a Deans, then have an alternative short cable with a female deans to the male tiny Tamiya. It'll work alright, at least then the rx/esc will handle the Lipo without the possibility of the tiny tam' connection breaking down.

Yeah help yourself! 

On another note, been looking at moving the shocks on the Ranger, outboard of the chassis rails. I reckon it'd work if I fitted longer machined screws, will have a good look sometime soon and post up what I end up doing. 

Hi All,

Eight weeks have now gone by and I’ve spent the time experimenting ( playing ! ) with my new Ranger.

Like everyone seems to agree the Ranger is very capable straight out the box,  However I wanted to do a few improvements etc so I started by removing the stickers, fitting a Defender grill and painting the wheel arches satin black.

It now looks much more Defender like I also swapped of the battery pack with the rc and esc which helps with putting the weight forward. I then lifted the body by two holes and extended the front bumper out by one hole.

I remove all the shock absorber inner rubber tubing as well as cutting out the cross member above the steering servo. I now get full suspension travel and buy sticking with the same size wheels; tyres and leaving the track width alone the tyres don’t foul the arches or bumper.

With watching the Landy Ranger closely going over large obstacles and rocks the suspension never bottoms out due to it being quite a light crawler.

I decided to buy 2 x 1700 mah Ni-mh so I can swap them when I out. I was more than surprised that they both lasted 35 minutes plus and 70% of that time was spent climbing hill as high as a double decker at times with quite a few gradients that were difficult to walk up.

I live very close to Carisbrooke Castle IOW and find the moat and surrounding area a great challenge!!!

Would just like to say thanks to everyone contributing on this forum,  as all the information, opinions and advice are well received.

Will try to work out how to get some pictures on here this weekend !!!

John.

Edited by spiderman
  • Like 2

Hi Basher,

So pleased to know someone else is on the IOW and yes I will try to get over to Puckpool Park to meet up.

I presume that when I click on your profile, the envelope I see is a private mail contact ???

If that's the case please leave me your contact number and I'll give you a ring and arrange a meeting, It would probably be on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. 

Like your Urban Space Man Name !!!!!

John

18 hours ago, spiderman said:

Hi Basher,

So pleased to know someone else is on the IOW and yes I will try to get over to Puckpool Park to meet up.

I presume that when I click on your profile, the envelope I see is a private mail contact ???

If that's the case please leave me your contact number and I'll give you a ring and arrange a meeting, It would probably be on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. 

Like your Urban Space Man Name !!!!!

John

You have PM ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

my pretty much finished EXC/FTX outback barrage cross over :) 

complete with scale diamond plate and mesh

sliders

roof rack with lights

after a good while working on it (when I got round to do some) its now time to get it mucky

looking forward to visiting Cannock chase soon.

(its a bit rough in places, but hey I'm an amateur and it has been my first attempt at working on a rig)

WP_20170327_20_39_59_Pro_zpszrdvqg7p.jpg

WP_20170327_20_41_06_Pro_zpsh346w2tk.jpg

WP_20170327_20_38_35_Pro_zps7moxt588.jpg

rc%20car_zps8ja3ujjb.jpg

if you want anymore info about what I have done and how I have done it, ill be happy to answer any questions :) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Noj said:

Looks bloody marvellous does that! Grand first effort.

Rock sliders: where did they come from? Fancy a set for the beige beauty...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gmade-Junfac-Aluminum-Side-Bars-Axial-SCX10-Honcho-Dingo-1-10-RC-Car-J20028-/381312993954?hash=item58c8068aa2:g:dusAAOSwyQtVklgA :thumbsup:

thanks bud

there you go noj

they are 30 odd quid from modelsport

25 quid from fusion hobbies

or less than 20 quid from RCmart hong kong and they came pretty quick too, no slow boat haha

its probably worth watching for a little bit to see if you can get the best exchange rate for your money.

Awhile ago I bought a rgt rock cruiser which is the same as the ftx/ecx but more in common with the ftx. 

It don't stay stock for long and currently under construction for a scale project. 

mods / upgrades I know of that I haven't read on this site yet unless I missed it.

Cut the shock limiters in half

Cut the male side of drivelines 10mm -13mm down it allows for full compression of suspension, even in Stock form.

Flip the chassis brace above servo so it doesn't hit. That all for free stuff

Now for bought mods/ upgrades

Traxxas mini e-revo pinion in front axle, give you an overdrive for tighter turns and helps with torque twist. Only rub is the shaft is 4mm and not 5mm so a driveline can be made from traxxas parts.

Losi mini crawler/vaterra slickrock parts fit the axles so 4 link options are available.

Slickrock/ mrc blue Springs fit stock shocks, just have to flip the top spring holder as the blue Springs are a bit shorter but also softer.

Scx10 rear bumper mount fits chassis with some filing down of the part that slide in to the chassis. 

Scalerfab makes front and rear bumper for the barrage and also rock sliders so they will fit. 

Wertymade makes two different sliders one round tube and the other square tube.

As for my rig I swapped out the stock axles for redcat everest 10 axles, working on leaf Springs for the rear, did the Scx10 bumper mount. Will be making a forward mounted motor mated to a transfer case. I haven't tried yet but I believe scx10 rear shock hoops will fit the chassis for front and rear hoops

Also working on fitting a tamiya Blackfoot body too. 

• Like 1

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12:26, t2boats said:

Yeah help yourself! 

On another note, been looking at moving the shocks on the Ranger, outboard of the chassis rails. I reckon it'd work if I fitted longer machined screws, will have a good look sometime soon and post up what I end up doing. 

The losi mini crawler out broad kit 

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread about these little trucks. On reading this and the other Outback thread on here I decided to buy one. Arrived yesterday. Took it for a quick spin....... and noticed that the front wheel was loose. This is why:

FTX_Outback_Ranger_Land_Rover_highlighted_(3).thumb.jpg.70ddc85013b8786ba82258c5aff2d8e7.jpg

Missing screw from the steering knuckle. Exhaustive examination of box and surrounding area did not locate it. Contacted the seller who has passed on my details to their supplier. New part in the post straight away. In the meantime I went to my local nut and bolt man and found an almost perfect replacement. Time will tell if it will remain in situ. Screw size was 2.5 by 6mm.

Imagine the frustration to a child though if it had been their present?  Incidentally it's opposite number on the other knuckle was only finger tight and would have soon gone awol.

Keep the updates, upgrades and info coming. Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2017 at 20:49, johninderby said:

Threadlock it!!!

Had the same thing with my Outback when I got it. The screw had fallen out but fortunately was in the bottom of the box.

John

Have been checking them regularly John, but since being tightened up correctly they haven't come loose. I have some spare screws as a precaution.

I have changed over to Li-Po batteries and got these from Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271733898294?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mine were 27 quid for two with free postage. Luckily I already had a Li-Po charger.

Fit perfectly between the shock mounts and seem to last for over an hour.

59083c943ffd9_outbacklipobattery.thumb.jpg.bb249dc39b19e34dc693133987a33106.jpg

Edited by petevtwin650
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

New to the forum and the hobby.. Love seeing other people's builds!

Here is my FTX Outback Ranger. I have done various bits to it: the standard axle wideners, moved the battery to a new mounting system (diy from take away box), put on a snorkel, tow rope, new grill and split screen windscreen to make it look more like a scale series (IIA?) Land Rover (would have to be a series with custom fenders and bonnet), coloured the wheels and removed/added some stickers. Also Turnigy servo and an alloy servo horn. 60 weight shock oil (not filled right to the top).

Further down the line I would like to upgrade to a 540 motor (in the hope that it won't run so hot and hence that the motor would last longer? - I have burnt out one of the stock motors already). Also, I want to get the alloy knuckles as the plastic ones bend sometimes and the steering can stick. I also have on order these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-N10138-3cm-Aluminum-Hex-Drive-Extension-Adapter-For-RC1-10-Off-Road-Car-Black/182450351732?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43782%26meid%3D40bd68fb7f224b39897bad473b6c8553%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172524430949

as the axles just aren't wide enough for the wheel size to be stable sideways IMO. Would also kinda like to a do a pan hard set up...

IMGP3280_opt.jpg

IMGP3284_opt.jpg

IMGP3293_opt.jpg

IMGP3299_opt.jpg

Edited by Gert Nang
  • Like 1