• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tony's Build Log - Mad Bull

Tony

Interesting, didn't see the other side. Mind you, I was up until about 11:30pm when I came across this, so I must have been tired and did not spot that! ;) 

Will check tonight, cheers.

18 hours ago, Tony said:

Front section done... The air suspension is laughable! 

IMG_20161120_210640.jpg

Pop one of those shocks off and measure it from ball end to ball end pop a reply here,
I will then measure up my spare Vaterra oil sprung front shocks and see if they could be an ideal fit. if so i will mail you for a address and get them shipped to you No charge.

that way your going to have a nice set of oil front enders hopefuly

adjustable full alloy vaterra front shocks are 6.5 cm from center of top hole to center of bottom hole, if need be i can also throw in a tube of team losi 35w shock oil to help you and lad along.

rP0TnyA.jpg

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Thanks 1

With that out of the way, I needed to put the receiver somewhere secure, so I've put it in there, allowing me to put the short aerial cable out of the tube hole. :D

IMG_20161121_205403.jpg

Edited by Tony

Due to my battles with trying to work out the correct way to put the ECS and the masses of cables, including testing (where I found the steering turned the wrong way and motor going reverse when I wanted for it to go forward) - I forgot to take some photos of the build. :( But here are where I have put all of the electrical products...

IMG_20161121_221619.jpg

I have to agree with @XV Pilot - the steering rod is too loose. I need to find heatshrink tube to resolve this.

And as it turns out, because I have got the Venom 20C 2S 4000mAh Lipo battery, I did not see that it came with 4 different connectors, and it includes the Tamiya connector! So, I did not need to cut off the cable from the ECS unit. Saves me a bit of time. :)

Seems very secure for me so will use this for now and if it does not work out well, I'll chop off the cable & weld the Deans connector on it. :thumbsup:

IMG_20161121_202530.jpg

26 minutes ago, stretch said:

Re the transmitter you secured that is actually the receiver

This is what happens when you stayed up late and make this post! Haha. Now edited. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Yes, I enjoyed this - the last time I did this was building the Thunder Dragon so a good 20+ years ago or so! /showingmyage

The venom battery connector solution looks like a neat one - just the sort of thing I could use in both my race cars (that use Deans) and my vintage ones (that use Tamiya/Molex). If the battery fits them that is.

If you get a chance, would you mind please measuring the overall length of the battery minus cables? Thanks!

23 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

If you get a chance, would you mind please measuring the overall length of the battery minus cables? Thanks!

The battery is brilliant, yes. The product description states 22.9 x 7.6 x 3.8 cm, but I'll double check & measure it when I gets home. It's an Tamiya style battery.

• 1 month later...
On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 23:37, Tony said:

I have to agree with @XV Pilot - the steering rod is too loose. I need to find heatshrink tube to resolve this.

And as it turns out, because I have got the Venom 20C 2S 4000mAh Lipo battery, I did not see that it came with 4 different connectors, and it includes the Tamiya connector! So, I did not need to cut off the cable from the ECS unit. Saves me a bit of time. :)

Seems very secure for me so will use this for now and if it does not work out well, I'll chop off the cable & weld the Deans connector on it. :thumbsup:

IMG_20161121_202530.jpg

The more I use the charger, the more annoyed I gets about the interchangeable connector, you see, the charger do NOT have a Tamiya connector at all, just the Deans connector. And it was a hassle to try to remove the connector from the battery pack every time I need to charge it up as it's clipped on VERY tightly.

So, yeah I will need to chop off the Tamiya connector from the ESC and fit the Deans connector on it, which will make my life easier! :D Now, where's the time for me to do this...

Nice build thread. 
I ran a Mad Bull as a basher for a while as well and it's still in the attic just now in need of repairs.

The amount of abuse these things can take is unreal. I fitted the older shocks from the 1st gen E-Maxx to the rear of mines and some cheap Tamiya's up front and it made a huge difference with how it drove.

I'll need to try and get it repaired then do the heat shrink mod you've done here as my steering is still standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Any  chance you might be able to post a few pictures of the read body shell support for me please?  I'm looking to see if the Mad Bull body will fit onto my ageing Fighter Buggy chassis and have read about the rear support being different and I'm just trying to gauge just how different it is and wif I can fabricate something that would do the job.

Thanks

• 3 years later...