• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

41 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

I like that they are out on display and not tucked away in boxes. Some cars deserve to be appreciated whether running or stationary. 

Yea I could never NOT build them. As ive got older Ive become less interested in using/bashing/racing and enjoy the building and comminity aspect more. 

That said, the most expensive one there is the TL01 Focus, and that was mainly because it was nostalgic to me. Ive not lost much building up an £88 TT02, I cant see that rocketing up when im in my 50s lol

17 hours ago, Guns said:

Yes mate they're from Argos, I used to work for Sainsburys so got a load of them with my discount. They vary between £10-15 depending on offers

Need another one now, ordered that Ferrari TDF

Thought so, got 3 the same myself but in oak. Left the bottom 2 screws out as they never lined up or the heads stuck out at 45 degrees. Other than that, good shelves.

A bigger spur will help reduce the load on your motor and thus on your ESC, along with giving quicker acceleration and a lower top speed. However I would stick to 0.6 module for an off-road vehicle. 0.4 is very prone to damage from small stones, etc, as well as stripping more readily if you jump it. 

I've just finished my MF-01X beetle and not sure if I'm going to keep the beetle shell or not but if I do I would want some new wheels as the stock ones aren't to my taste I would want to get some of the tamiya porsche 911 carrera rsr front wheels as I think the rear ones would be to wide for the rear does anyone with the kit have the part number for the front wheels from the porsche 911 carrera rsr kit ?

If you go onto Tamiya USA and download the manual for that model the part number for the wheels should be in there.

In other news ive ordered 3 new spur gears 55, 58 and 61t and a 14t pinion gear. And if that doesnt lower the temps of my ESC im gonna be getting really annoyed and sell the bloody thing. Lol

11 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

If you go onto Tamiya USA and download the manual for that model the part number for the wheels should be in there.

I've done that still no good :( 

• Sad 1

There may be a strong chance that you can not buy them seperate from the kit. Tamiya are good at doing that, not selling the wheels on thier own. The TT02T wheels arent available and niether are any of the Metallic Editions on the TT02B chassis.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

There may be a strong chance that you can not buy them seperate from the kit. Tamiya are good at doing that, not selling the wheels on thier own. The TT02T wheels arent available and niether are any of the Metallic Editions on the TT02B chassis.

What's the point of that ? :017: 

I've found out that it's a 2 piece wheel so I'm getting closer :lol:

• Like 1

On 29/07/2018 at 08:30, RC4WD fan said:

I've just finished my MF-01X beetle and not sure if I'm going to keep the beetle shell or not but if I do I would want some new wheels as the stock ones aren't to my taste I would want to get some of the tamiya porsche 911 carrera rsr front wheels as I think the rear ones would be to wide for the rear does anyone with the kit have the part number for the front wheels from the porsche 911 carrera rsr kit ?

Wheels from this ?

model_58571_01.jpg

P/N 10445925 (alt 445925) Front

P/N 10440610 (alt 440610) Rear

Listed here (parts tab): https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models/58571 An image search seems to confirm they are the right part numbers.

You also need a parts sprue for the wheel centres.  You can see them in this thread: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/71806-shodogs-58571-porsche-911-carrera-rsr-builds/

Tamiya USA lists part number 9335704 https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=9335704

( parts listing here https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcpss.php?command=parts&kit_id=58571 )

Meantime, my TL-01 turned up, somewhat grubby but after stripping and washing all the parts its come up very well. Mini CVA oil shocks, bearings almost everywhere (just not on propshaft), Schumacher Formula motor and an RCLine ESC. Only issue found was that someone has cut the switch off the esc and soldered the wires together, I have a switch to put back on it, just waiting for some heatshrink to cover up the join.

The body has a bit bashed around, but the plan is to put the GTR body from the TT-01 on this and that wear a Subaru NBR body - which I've masked up ready for paint. Only fly in the ointment to this is that the rear body mounts are L-shaped and go backwards, this stops the TT-01 body fitting (see chassis pic), they need to go more or less straight up from the chassis mounting point. Do any TL-01 (or other kits) have such a body mount?

1YohZsRl.jpg

UYazl11l.jpg

Chassis cleaned up:

hq9NZCnl.jpg

I was idly watching ebay (terrible habit as my purchase history shows...) and there was a couple of wild daggers - bit expensive for their condition so I passed. A Double Blaze (same WR-01 chassis) got listed, so I was watching that and another one appeared (these things are like buses..) much shorter listing - won that one for £43, the first Double Blaze finished yesterday for £95 so pretty happy with that!

Edited by Mark_C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mark_C said:

Wheels from this ?

model_58571_01.jpg

P/N 10445925 (alt 445925) Front

P/N 10440610 (alt 440610) Rear

Listed here (parts tab): https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models/58571 An image search seems to confirm they are the right part numbers.

You also need a parts sprue for the wheel centres.  You can see them in this thread: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/71806-shodogs-58571-porsche-911-carrera-rsr-builds/

Tamiya USA lists part number 9335704 https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=9335704

( parts listing here https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcpss.php?command=parts&kit_id=58571 )

That's the one ?

But the more I look into it the more I'm thinking I'll not bother to be honest to many bits to buy so would add up don't know how much but probably more than I would want to pay :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

That's the one ?

But the more I look into it the more I'm thinking I'll not bother to be honest to many bits to buy so would add up don't know how much but probably more than I would want to pay :rolleyes:

FWIW Ive just clocked on to what you want to achieve with those wheels.

Those Fuch wheels with your Beetle shell would look absolutely awesome!

2 hours ago, Guns said:

FWIW Ive just clocked on to what you want to achieve with those wheels.

Those Fuch wheels with your Beetle shell would look absolutely awesome!

? yep thought someone would of said something sooner ? think I've found the wheels now the HPI ones part number 3918 ? MS should have them in stock on the 17th of August it says they should but you never know ? I'm thinking the body in black with them wheels what you think ?