• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

There is a lot of Tamiya chat in several threads that is a little distracting from the thread itself. (Partly my fault). And we already have a "show us your tamiya thread" which is mainly for pictures, so i thought this one could be mainly for chat, advice and all them questions people might have!

Strictly Tamiya :-)

Im currently on the hunt for a new Tamiya, im torn between the FF-01, 2 and 3 and the TT-02B.

Im leaning towards the TT-02B MS but with metal diffs out of the DF-02, ive never really been into Buggies but i just fancy building a Tamiya one.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

• Like 1

Sorry for the slow response - count me in! :)

I certainly don't claim to know all there is to know about Tamiya, but I have been happily building them for the last two decades or so, and will happily pass on any knowledge I have gained during that time.

I'm interested to see what TMaxxDave decides to build. The three FWD options under consideration are all quite different despite having similar drive layouts, and then there is the buggy wildcard too. What criteria are being used to make the decision?

I'm also interested to see what he builds to!

Well as your aware I'm quite a fan of the TB-01 chassis with having 2 complete as shelf queens and 1 partial build which will be my runner.

I've got a Hyper 10TT brushless truggy which is cool, just not Tamiya.

I've always liked the look of the FF chassis, and would love a Astra Coupe shelf queen, but on the flip side I'd love to get a 306 Rallye and bash it hard!.

The buggy is a total wild card, I've never been into buggies, but I just think that it would work very well for me, having seen lots of TT-02 builds, it would have to a buggy with the TT-02 chassis, and I've narrowed that down to the TT-02b MS, I wanted the Sandshaker for absolutely ages, but I just feel like it would spend more time on its side than its wheels.

The only thing for sure is.... I can only afford one of them at the moment.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Started with a Holiday buggy 35 years ago,have owned / raced loads of Tamiya,still have a few.

Edited for admin/Mods,sorry about that chaps,didn`t mean to break the rules. :)

Edited by twisty
Sorry,i didn`t mean to break the rules.
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2016 at 14:28, TMaxxDave said:

Im currently on the hunt for a new Tamiya, im torn between the FF-01, 2 and 3 and the TT-02B.

All good choices there!

The FF-01 traces its lineage to the DF-01 buggy, and is thus quite rugged. It is a very close relative of the TA-02 with which it shares several parts including the main chassis tub, but the parts that are unique to the FF-01 are getting quite scarce now, so it is perhaps best kept for light running and display use. Maybe something to put under the Astra Coupe shell?

The FF-02 is essentially a stretched M-03. As such it is a very flexible chassis - you can build it really short by omitting the central spacer and fit a classic Mini Cooper shell, or you can add multiple spacers and turn it into a stretched limo. You can fit the narrow M-chassis suspension, the standard TL-01 suspension, the race-oriented TL-01LA suspension or even the buggy width TL-01B suspension if you want to. The basic chassis is rugged and the gearbox is well sealed. It even takes the kick-up front bumper from the TL-01B with no modifications required. This would be my choice for a rally car that is to see hard use.

The FF-03 is in many ways the FWD sibling of the TA-05IFS, with race-grade fibre-reinforced plastics, turnbuckles throughout, bearings supplied, etc. It is by far the highest spec of the three, but it is designed to race on smooth, clean surfaces - the spur gear cover is more of a shield than a seal against dirt. Not a rally basher by any means, but a strong contender if you fancy some organised racing.

The TT-02B is in many ways more of a DF-03 than the DF-03 is, being the buggy sibling of the TT-02 touring car just as the DF-02 was the buggy sibling of the TT-01 before it. While not a serious racer, I think it makes a fine little basher buggy once one has toughened up the drivetrain with metal DF-02 parts.

• Like 1

Having seen pictures of the FF-03 i can safely rule that one out of the picture. Its seriously overkill for my needs and not rally spec at all.

The FF-02 is a very likely possiblity just for parts availability.

Did Tamiya make an Astra Coupe?

The buggy wildcard is down to the TT-02B but im open to suggestions on it. Must be 4wd and shaft driven.

Since the FF-02 shares everything except its centre chassis spacer with the M-03 and/or TL-01, spares are easy to come by, as are many hop-ups.

There are a good few Tamiya buggies that would suit your brief if you are perhaps considering going retro, with either a re-release or a restoration. The Hotshot is an interesting classic, as are its derivatives, the Terra Scorcher has always appealed, there is of course the Manta Ray or a similar DF-01 buggy,  and the humble TL-01B is also perhaps worth a mention.

As for modern machines, you have the DF-03, the DF-02 or the TT-02B. Each has minor shortcomings, but those of the TT-02B are most easily rectified. (I refer of course to the diffs.)

Let us know which you decide to go for! 

I'm not after a resto project as I don't have the time or desire to put into one. A re-re could be an option, I'm going to have a look more in depth and see if any of them catch my eye. I do like the bright pink neo scorcher

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

My re-re Holiday Buggy (DT02) has been a solid and trusty basher, my 'go to' RC in many ways...

The shell is dead, the box has taken a four pole 3800kv can for the last year plus and refuses to die....only gripe is the weak front bulk and the front body mount...saying that, not broken one for a while now....

Bought a spare kit without ESC for 60 quid and use parts as and when required...

Edited by Noj
Df corrected to DT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noj said:

My re-re Holiday Buggy (df02) has been a solid and trusty basher, my 'go to' RC in many ways...

The shell is dead, the box has taken a four pole 3800kv can for the last year plus and refuses to die....only gripe is the weak front bulk and the front body mount...saying that, not broken one for a while now....

Bought a spare kit without ESC for 60 quid and use parts as and when required...

My re-re Holiday Buggy was on the DT-02 platform.........................................

Tis a good lil chassis, my first took a total beating, my second isn't a shelfer (I don't do shelfers) but only gets run in the right conditions due to the time spent putting it together. For full on bashing I have the DT-03T Aqroshot which is just so much fun. 

This will make Noj laugh cos we've had the 2wd/4wd conversation regarding MTs, but I think both formats have their advantages in buggies, they offer different experiences. 

• Like 1

I agree with different experiences. Id never buy 2wd but if i was given one id give it a shot. Lol

Ill rephrase that..... id never buy 2wd rear wheel as i quite fancy a FF-02. Maybe if it was front motor RWD not rear motor rwd that would be a different story

5 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Im not sure we need that type of negitivity on this thread.... lol

Hmmmmmm....... id have to drive one to see how we got on.

Tell you what, you try a 2wd buggy and I'll try a 2wd MT!