• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/8th scale buggy but which one ??

mydoddy69

2 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

The RB is a nice bit of kit but after a phone call this morning the outcome was to give it a swerve :( 

Really fancied a kit so dropped the rtr's and went with the Losi 4.0 kit mind you MS has them on order so it might be a while in coming :( oh well gives me chance to think about a combo :) 

May be worth checking if the 4.0 has changed at all buy the previous 8 kits were fantastic but benefit from the aluminium bearing insert on the rear diff case. Not required but will give it extra life and you'll only need to shim once.

9 minutes ago, mond said:

May be worth checking if the 4.0 has changed at all buy the previous 8 kits were fantastic but benefit from the aluminium bearing insert on the rear diff case. Not required but will give it extra life and you'll only need to shim once.

Thanks fella from what I've read so far the changes seem subtle but well engineered. I looked at the 3.0 thinking prices would have dropped but it's the same money . 

2 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Mainly about parts supply which was good and bad basically some parts are already gone some are in short supply but the guy said there breaking a few kits to cover parts for a while.  Realistically he recommended to buy 2 kits but I think he was just trying to push unwanted stock if I'm honest .. This was to me it's final nail in the coffin .

Was this convo with PBM? The 'spares for a year' sounded too good to be true. I knew this would be an issue so, I intended building the kit for the experience, and putting the electrics into a Monster truck when it became an issue. Long term I'd never recommend this kit, but it does seem amazing. Shame it got to this stage, cause it doesn't deserve it from what I've saw from my build. That said, it wouldn't have been on my radar at its full rrp, so c'est la vie.

Losi 3.0 for me due to the carrier design + bearing layout minimizes axle/hex wobble. Parts are reasonably available and they are a proven chassis.

I wouldn't get another car with the HPI Trophy style steering arm setup again.

Edited by dazp1976

12 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

The RB is a nice bit of kit but after a phone call this morning the outcome was to give it a swerve :( 

Really fancied a kit so dropped the rtr's and went with the Losi 4.0 kit mind you MS has them on order so it might be a while in coming :( oh well gives me chance to think about a combo :) 

Off the top of your head can you remember what parts we're out / running short?  

I've a second kit to steal bits off....wondering if I should pick a third up or just get a few of the more common bits - after all I can't see anyone needing every part.

17 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Off the top of your head can you remember what parts we're out / running short?  

I've a second kit to steal bits off....wondering if I should pick a third up or just get a few of the more common bits - after all I can't see anyone needing every part.

The optional Spurs, Front carbon shock towers where already gone and diff out drives rear hubs front carriers and a couple of other bits where in short supply, you can just buy another kit but you would then only have one spare for each part so on reflection it's a bit of a con IMO ..Then there's the bits you don't get in the kit like the optional Spurs these you'll need to source an alternative for .. Oh and ring gears they where another part that was gone but he was stripping a few kits so you can still get them for a while .. 

Dont get me wrong if I wasn't fussed about running it until it breaks then dumping it and saving the electrics I'd buy one .. But for me there just a short term buggy which may or may not be useable come say the end of the summer?  I mean you could potentially be hunting weeks if not longer for bits or alternatives to fit in say just a couple of months ? 

There  was no guarantee of parts being around for a year he just said a while but he did say he had a few kits he was stripping and he did have some parts on the shelf . If your not hard on it then it may well be fine but if like me your not then you might struggle .. 

Rb seem to have gone bust, hence the 'fire sale' of everything.  Optional spurs I can live without - until I build mine I won't know, but I shall be offering up various other diffs to the housings etc when I do.  Front towers I think I'll be looking into getting some customs ones cut - even in thicker CF or alloy.  Ring gears running low interest me - it's either the RTR brigade swapping there crappy ones or showing a possible issue with the conical gears and high power systems that bashers rather than racers use.

I agree the rb one is very tempting but it's unknown how long it will have support. The other thing I can't shake is the truggy gearing which is easily solved but still just puts me off. 

If buying one rb may aswel buy two to atleast double the life of the rc. I think Pbm have sold loads of them so I wonder just how many have been held back for spares. Ide hope atleast 20 for things like diffs, cvds ect. They'll sell out super fast.  

4 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

I agree the rb one is very tempting but it's unknown how long it will have support. The other thing I can't shake is the truggy gearing which is easily solved but still just puts me off. 

If buying one rb may aswel buy two to atleast double the life of the rc. I think Pbm have sold loads of them so I wonder just how many have been held back for spares. Ide hope atleast 20 for things like diffs, cvds ect. They'll sell out super fast.  

They could be lying about breaking some tho just to get rid of them all and parts could be non existent once they've all gone. Bit of a gamble.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Losi 3.0 gets my vote.

Or... Buy my newly built Vorza for £395. Just add tx/rx + servo.

Yeah I did consider the Vorza but a few of my mates have'em and to be fair they have never really impressed  plus there as heavy as a house lol .. 

Why the losi 3.0 and not the new 4.0 ? 

7 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

They could be lying about breaking some tho just to get rid of them all and parts could be non existent once they've all gone. Bit of a gamble.

I was wondering about this too.  But what are the chances of other manufacturer parts such as diffs, cvds etc fitting or being made to fit?

I have Associated spur/slipper etc on my blitz, a mix of traxxas drive shafts & shocks, and HPI c hubs / knuckles on my ECX Ruckus. So there's a good chance that diff internals from another 1/8 would fit, likewise cvds etc. Just takes somebody with the time and ability to experiment a bit.

38 minutes ago, bertberr said:

I was wondering about this too.  But what are the chances of other manufacturer parts such as diffs, cvds etc fitting or being made to fit?

I have Associated spur/slipper etc on my blitz, a mix of traxxas drive shafts & shocks, and HPI c hubs / knuckles on my ECX Ruckus. So there's a good chance that diff internals from another 1/8 would fit, likewise cvds etc. Just takes somebody with the time and ability to experiment a bit.

Lets not forget either a stack of parts handy or a pile of cash to buy said parts to experiment with ;) 

I have the 8ight 3.0e, not the RTR though, the kit and got to say it's an amazing buggy.  I have a Tekin RX8 gen2 with the 1900kv motor and it's awesome.

The 4.0 is only in nitro atm? - so would you be converting?  The 3.0 nitro and the 3.0e use different chassis you see so if you are going down that road i'd wait for the 4.0e rather than convert it.

1 hour ago, mydoddy69 said:

Lets not forget either a stack of parts handy or a pile of cash to buy said parts to experiment with ;) 

Parts handy, who on here doesn't have a stack of unused parts? Unlikely a complete newbie will be buying this buggy. And a fiver for a diff bevel gear set if you haven't already got some in your parts box wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the alternative was writing the car off.

But I get your point... Modding isn't for everyone.

1 hour ago, HYPER-BOY said:

I have the 8ight 3.0e, not the RTR though, the kit and got to say it's an amazing buggy.  I have a Tekin RX8 gen2 with the 1900kv motor and it's awesome.

The 4.0 is only in nitro atm? - so would you be converting?  The 3.0 nitro and the 3.0e use different chassis you see so if you are going down that road i'd wait for the 4.0e rather than convert it.

The 4.0 comes in electric aswell just MS have it on order but should be there in the next week or so :) 

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-losi-racing-8ight-e-4.0-kit-1-8-4wd-electric-buggy/rc-car-products/397140

1 minute ago, mydoddy69 said:

The 4.0 comes in electric aswell just MS have it on order but should be there in the next week or so :) 

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-losi-racing-8ight-e-4.0-kit-1-8-4wd-electric-buggy/rc-car-products/397140

Ahh so they do! - I somehow missed that :)

Looks pretty much the same as the 3.0, they have angled the centre diff so that the rear drive in angled too..  Looks like they have made little subtle changes over the 3.0.  Sometimes a lot of little changes can make a big difference so if it is better than the 3.0 then I can absolutely recommend it! - My 3.0 is a point and shoot weapon.

• Like 1