• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Random Q:

When plugging in the second battery, the connector always "pops" (arcs) as the contacts first touch - Is that normal?? (It doesn't happen with any other of my RCs) - X-Maxx is completely stock at the moment.

Yes, it's the capacitors charging up. 

Hobbywing have released a few ESCs with anti-spark built in, vast improvement. 

My 12S Beast doesn't have that, it's a huge crack! (TWSS)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Don't usually replace parts unless they are broke but I've finished work for Christmas and had these parts in my spares bin, max 6 esc, 2085x servo & HD arms. Only had the front arms so I've ordered the rears.

For anyone using the 2085x servo are you running it at 6v or 7.4v ?

IMG_20201216_211236.jpg

IMG_20201216_211209.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skinso said:

Don't usually replace parts unless they are broke but I've finished work for Christmas and had these parts in my spares bin, max 6 esc, 2085x servo & HD arms. Only had the front arms so I've ordered the rears.

For anyone using the 2085x servo are you running it at 6v or 7.4v ?

IMG_20201216_211236.jpg

IMG_20201216_211209.jpg

Sadly only 6v 7.4 shortened mines live span 😂. Stock radio will only go 6v as well 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing some maintenance on my Xmaxx and stripping and cleaning as I go.

Is there any need to change the stock diff oil weights?

The manual states 10,000cst front and 30,000cst rear and 20 Million in the centre.

I was thinking of going slightly thicker front and rear to stop it unloading the inside wheels and ballooning out.

What are you guys running?

16 hours ago, Derka said:

I'm doing some maintenance on my Xmaxx and stripping and cleaning as I go.

Is there any need to change the stock diff oil weights?

The manual states 10,000cst front and 30,000cst rear and 20 Million in the centre.

I was thinking of going slightly thicker front and rear to stop it unloading the inside wheels and ballooning out.

What are you guys running?

Never had a problem with stock weights and yes you should clean them out and replace the oil after around 20 packs 👍

Edited by mydoddy69

8 hours ago, Tug said:

Twenty packs? I change oils every twenty years!

😂😂.  Just because you only use 1 pack a year 😂😂

Poor maintenance is a road to disaster imo but each to his own 👍

Rebuilt both diffs. Just went with what the stock setup is, 10,000cst front and 30,000cst rear. 

It's only had around 4 or 5 packs through it but thought it's worth while checking the diffs since they're so easy to get at. They both were pretty dry but no signs of wear. 

Cleans as I went so she is looking as good as new now. 

Not touched the centre bit yet or taken out the centre diff and electrics. Jobs for another day!

Only signs of wear was the inner front hub bearings felt a smidge gritty but still ok. I see RPM do upgrades with larger bearings so I can see that being a benefit. I also blew half the tyre bead off on one of the front tyres as it balooned massively hence the diff maintenance to try and reduce it a little. 

Truck is super simple to work on. I think I'll be tightening up the servo saver though even if it means a knackered servo as it's pretty loose just now. Changed the screw for one that was 5mm longer and put a nut on the end but still needs cranking down some more. Felt tight initially but once the wheels were on in it feels pretty free again.

22 minutes ago, Skinso said:

Is there anyone in the UK making the drive cup sleeves? WFO sell them but delivery is shocking

Make your own it’s only some tubing cut up and a notch cut out nothing that can’t be done with a file and hacksaw or if your lucky enough a dremel or drill with some grinding cutting bits 👍. Probably cheaper as well even if you got to buy the tools 😂😂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Had the xmaxx out today and the steering seemed to stop working. It was like it was stuck with wheels turned; then it they were straight and wouldn’t respond; then it responded a bit; then the steering was jittering. I turned it off and on and it seemed to steer Ok and then suddenly stop again.

I looked in more detail at home and the steering seemed to be weak and jittery one way; then it stopped responding again.

Any thoughts? Servo maybe? And if it is the servo, how do I diagnose this?

Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, MattW123 said:

Had the xmaxx out today and the steering seemed to stop working. It was like it was stuck with wheels turned; then it they were straight and wouldn’t respond; then it responded a bit; then the steering was jittering. I turned it off and on and it seemed to steer Ok and then suddenly stop again.

I looked in more detail at home and the steering seemed to be weak and jittery one way; then it stopped responding again.

Any thoughts? Servo maybe? And if it is the servo, how do I diagnose this?

Thanks. 

Sounds like your servo is dying but check there’s not a break anywhere in the wires before investing in a new one also check the receiver aerial for breaks just in case. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the 2085x servo after the stock one died. Just drove it today and steering does seem much stronger in on the move; can turn sharper. I did however notice that the steering wasn’t returning fully to centre and when the front wheels were off the ground and I steered the wheels would turn fully and then judder. I turned the TSM right down (off) and this fixed the problem. Has anyone else noticed the TSM causing problems? I also noticed that turning the TSM off didn’t seem to negatives affect the truck’s ability to hold its line; it still seemed very stable. 

• 1 month later...

Just back in from a real nice morning of RC’s fun I have to say this X Maxx is by far the best fun I’ve had, now I was out with my lad and his mate from work who has a Kraton 8s so we swap transmitters and let rip. The Kraton 8s is a beast fast fun and jumps well but sadly the bash got cut short when I missed judged a jump and pop went the rear arm. Ordered him a new one even though he had a spare as I felt bad lol. Great fun but thankfully after trying his I don’t think the want is there anymore nit after hearing how much he has pumped into it! 

X Maxx suffered zero damage but I think 2 of my lipos are now puffed so on the hunt for some new ones, any recommendations? 

• Like 1

Ive started using these and getting about 20 odd minutes in the Kronos and Shogun with them  (4s) not sure what s youl want tho 

Zeee is another im using of Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XY397JX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1