• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

7 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

And another one bites the dust 

Wasn't the first problem he had, by the sound of it. Still eyeballing an X Maxx though, regardless of how, uhm.. "un-smart" it would be to get one. Things like these are just disheartening though. 

14 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Wasn't the first problem he had, by the sound of it. Still eyeballing an X Maxx though, regardless of how, uhm.. "un-smart" it would be to get one. Things like these are just disheartening though. 

Look for pre owned V1 with a Max 6 imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guns said:

Look for pre owned V1 with a Max 6 imo.

Oh yeah, will be pre-owned for sure. If i go for one. 

As i said, i love the presence of that thing, but if you're like me and can only read up/watch YT about it because the next X Maxx is hundreds of miles away, it's kinda.. scary, hehe. Not much good to be read about these, sadly.

14 hours ago, Guns said:

Where are you located? If I'm honest, if it wasn't for forums I wouldn't have known about the majority of the issues? Shock shafts is the only known issue I've broke personally.

South wales, bridgend. 

Well yeah, that's my point - you rarely read "good" things in forums, people without problems are just out and enjoy their RC. Forums and YT are full of people complaining (rightfully, though) about fires, diffs etc. 

edit:

on an unrelated note, just saw Doddys Power Up Kit video.. That's the same kit that's sold in the US for $299, right? Haven't really understood what they mean by "core charge" etc - but we're talking the same kit that's sold in the UK for around £600?

Edited by m4inbrain

Couple of new bits in today, New Chassis incase I feel like moving the esc and at the bargian price of $2.19 thought it rude not to add it to my basket ;) while I was on JRC I picked up a couple of shocks, always handy to have a spare in your bag and just so happens they had a pair of reds .. Lastly the GPM diff covers bit disappointed in them as there meant to be GUNMETAL GREY which apparently according to to the packaging that are LOL .. Oh well there be getting a quick blast of Hammerite satin black later and for the price I'm not that bothered ;) 

07BA9502-FA97-44BB-B79F-33E9156FCA04_zps

27E82711-05A0-42C6-AA81-7A22B808BC2E_zps

Well my VXL 8 ESC and standard motor are back with the good people at Wheelspin Model shop,Seems my VXL 8 is the First to go down in the UK according to Logic haha, Prob coz every body else is running the Max 5 or 6 haha.

2 hours ago, Dinga said:

Well my VXL 8 ESC and standard motor are back with the good people at Wheelspin Model shop,Seems my VXL 8 is the First to go down in the UK according to Logic haha, Prob coz every body else is running the Max 5 or 6 haha.

Trouble is your not far off the mark most guys like me got the kit and sold the esc or like you say didn't use it as they have a better option already the others that did use i are reporting the same issue so I'm guessing it's a firmware thing ? If this is the case then I have a nasty feeling Traxxas might of used the kits as test samples ?

Either way it's not looking good and I wonder if there hold off on the release date why there looking into it ? 

I was under the impression that the X-Maxx v2 is basically a v1 with power up kit, is that correct or not?

I've seen people now saying that the v2 has a different motor? Bit confused. Sorry for being ignorant, it's just me trying to get an overview on what would be the best way to acquire an X-Maxx (used v1 plus kit, new v2, scratch it altogether and try to get a reeper/collossus xt, etc).

Edited by m4inbrain

2 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I was under the impression that the X-Maxx v2 is basically a v1 with power up kit, is that correct or not?

I've seen people now saying that the v2 has a different motor? Bit confused. Sorry for being ignorant, it's just me trying to get an overview on what would be the best way to acquire an X-Maxx (used v1 plus kit, new v2, scratch it altogether and try to get a reeper/collossus xt, etc).

The V2 is a V1 with the upgrade kit plus a new motor and by the looks a rear shell protector there is talk of better tyre compounds but not confirmed yet .. 

Personally I'd go V1 secondhand and cheery pick the upgrades, I like the reeper  but can't help think it's nothing more than a stretched out 1/8th scale like you do to a savage to make it 1/6th scale, does look good though but without UK support or suppilier could get more costly than owning an X Maxx ? 

If they do show up in the UK and price is right I might get one but I have to admit I'm also looking at getting the new savage XL Flux, no idea why as I'm not really a savage fan but I guess I got to atleast try one lol ;) 

8 minutes ago, Guns said:

Id be interested in a chassis for $2, I wanna dye one!

A456563C-85C1-4666-8014-1DF87067D79F_zps

Got these to give a bit of stability to the motor mount. Its been out a  fair few times and you can tell!

I have the washers on both mine ;) 

chassis sorry has gone up to $2.47 lol 

https://jennysrc.com/collections/traxxas-x-maxx-74076/products/x-maxx-chassis-main-plate-tra7722-battery-spacers-7717-nylon-traxxas-77076-4

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

The V2 is a V1 with the upgrade kit plus a new motor and by the looks a rear shell protector there is talk of better tyre compounds but not confirmed yet .. 

Personally I'd go V1 secondhand and cheery pick the upgrades, I like the reeper  but can't help think it's nothing more than a stretched out 1/8th scale like you do to a savage to make it 1/6th scale, does look good though but without UK support or suppilier could get more costly than owning an X Maxx ? 

If they do show up in the UK and price is right I might get one but I have to admit I'm also looking at getting the new savage XL Flux, no idea why as I'm not really a savage fan but I guess I got to atleast try one lol ;) 

I think the reaper is looking great, I contacted them about UK/European distributors and the reply said they were working on things at the moment. First upgrade for the reaper would need to be 5mm+ tvp's as I think they are only 3mm. I have a flux xl that I converted and it's 1 of the best that I have. It definitely needs the thicker tvp's

27 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

I have the washers on both mine ;) 

chassis sorry has gone up to $2.47 lol 

https://jennysrc.com/collections/traxxas-x-maxx-74076/products/x-maxx-chassis-main-plate-tra7722-battery-spacers-7717-nylon-traxxas-77076-4

Damn thats me out if its that expensive ;)

1 hour ago, mydoddy69 said:

Yeah, was looking at the XL too, since it seems to have by far the biggest aftermarket parts range (guess that's what 18 years do). Problem being that i'm not yet that "rc savvy", wouldn't know what to look for. I lurked the Alza page a bit, don't even know what i'm looking at for the most part, most likely because i've never seen underneath the hood of a savage before. I also still can't help it, it just feels like a rip off for £600. 

What is that 1/6th scale you talk about? Is that a kit? 

And yeah, the reeper.. If i could pay the american price, i'd buy one in a heartbeat. As it stands/looks, you'd be more around X-Maxx monies, and no parts supply anywhere on this continent. 

Leaves the Xmaxx, i've seen one in a video with a Max6 plus 18/50 gearing - no idea how reliable that gearing is, or how hard it is on the drivetrain, but speedwise for me personally, that's all it'd need. No need for fancy 8s electronics that i wouldn't utilize anyway, pretty sure. Although, in the comments people said the runtime on 2x 3s 9000mah would be around 8 minutes, which i think would be rather shocking. 

10 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah, was looking at the XL too, since it seems to have by far the biggest aftermarket parts range (guess that's what 18 years do). Problem being that i'm not yet that "rc savvy", wouldn't know what to look for. I lurked the Alza page a bit, don't even know what i'm looking at for the most part, most likely because i've never seen underneath the hood of a savage before. I also still can't help it, it just feels like a rip off for £600. 

What is that 1/6th scale you talk about? Is that a kit? 

And yeah, the reeper.. If i could pay the american price, i'd buy one in a heartbeat. As it stands/looks, you'd be more around X-Maxx monies, and no parts supply anywhere on this continent. 

Leaves the Xmaxx, i've seen one in a video with a Max6 plus 18/50 gearing - no idea how reliable that gearing is, or how hard it is on the drivetrain, but speedwise for me personally, that's all it'd need. No need for fancy 8s electronics that i wouldn't utilize anyway, pretty sure. Although, in the comments people said the runtime on 2x 3s 9000mah would be around 8 minutes, which i think would be rather shocking. 

8 minutes lol I get around 20 minutes off a pair of 6200mah on 19/50 

the savage 1/6 is something you build yourself buy a savage and upgrade it 

sad say but at the minute the whole RC scene has gone a bit nuts on pricing everything seems to be getting overly priced here in the UK compared to other countries IMO 

The drivetrain on the X Maxx is one thing that lets it down but it's getting better and there are alternatives out there some good some not .. Esc another known problem but agian there are alternatives out there .. Should you spend this sort of money to then go out and have to mess with it's beating heart NO but then agian some folks haven't had any trouble and some have some pushed it to the max and some haven't .. It's a fun truck to own and use and I'm on number 3 now so it can't be all that bad ;) 

• Like 1

Okay, i thought that sounds ridiculous (runtime). Hm.. In regards to pricing, well.. Not gonna get political here. The last year really didn't help in that regard.

I think that's what i'm gonna do, without pushing for it. I'll wait patiently until a decent used X-Maxx pops up, as Guns mentioned, preferably already with a Max6 on it, for the right price (the ones on fleabay at the moment are not for me - £800 for a used stock X-Maxx, nah). That's the plan for now. 

.. until i see the first running videos of the new Savvy XL Flux, i assume. But that's for another day. 

Edited by m4inbrain

That's considerably less than i thought it would be, to be entirely honest. Makes the normal X-Maxx + Power Up Kit look rather stupendously overpriced, really. If this one is £899, they should sell the old one for £599 (if we assume £600 minus 200 for the power up kit). At least imo.

Edited by m4inbrain