• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Cheers.

Built from scratch - parts available at the time.

I tend to bling more than I fling !!

Hopefully the body will be finished in the next couple of weeks .... and I can put a few photos up .... 

Al.

• Like 1

Went back out today to a range of 6x local football pitches which were fairly flat. I managed to hit 48mph! It was only about 2/3 minutes into the run and motor temp was below 100f. However....

C7C84B1E-C9A2-4311-B62C-24C12600E503_zps

i poked it and started jumping at 1/4 throttle, just to see how "hot" i could get the motor under the circumstances. I got to 113f and then stripped something. It turned out to be a spur. The motor has been in and out so many times the plastics probably worn a bit giving a bad mesh. Ive ordered a Hot Racing Motor mount and set of chassis washers from Tower using some ecash and vouchers i had. 

I replaced the spur, gave it a clean and re lube then started on my Dusty Shroud. I always thought these were elastic, but you have to affix velcro. It took longer than i thought and isnt as nicely fitted as id hoped at the front but

62CD9943-C1C4-48DF-A789-0B640AE5D945_zps

Need some strong glue to try glue that tyre back. £60 a pair they are :(

Looks good doddy. 

So your max5 esc isn't sitting right in the base of the chassis or is it? 

If it isn't.... then it doesn't fit... as sitting it up on somethings cheating.  :D

and using a cable tie too!..... after the abuse I get for cable ties... I'm surprised!!!!! :mf_laughbounce:

ran my baja yesterday on xmaxx wheels n tyres. Looked stooooipid! But was a laugh. Got some rear tyre baloonage for sure. 

Thinking of those mtxl wheels... but for my 5ive. Really like the xmaxx wheels on it but those mtxl b even better.... hmmmmmm

u ran w the cd and wheelie bar yet dod?

Edited by Ocdcbr

1 hour ago, Ocdcbr said:

Looks good doddy. 

If it isn't.... then it doesn't fit... as sitting it up on somethings cheating.  :D

and using a cable tie too!..... after the abuse I get for cable ties... I'm surprised!!!!! :mf_laughbounce:

ran my baja yesterday on xmaxx wheels n tyres. Looked stooooipid! But was a laugh. Got some rear tyre baloonage for sure. 

Thinking of those mtxl wheels... but for my 5ive. Really like the xmaxx wheels on it but those mtxl b even better.... hmmmmmm

Lol it dosen't need the cable tie fella it's actually screwed into the base plate from underneath ;) sadly I lost some footage so that's as much as I could get out, my max6 was screwed from underneath aswell . The cable tie is purely a save guard ..

Ran the old Maxx but only a quick shakedown the gear mesh on the centre diff seems overly tight to me so needs looking at . The wheelie bar well it's a wheelie bar I can already see a slight disadvantage to using it if you like to ramp your Maxx though, but needs more testing .. 

How did you get on with those gears ? 

Do you think the centre diffs just a bit 'tight' to start with or is it the oil that's too viscous.

Lower viscosity will obviously transfer a bit more power - possibly spinning - to the front if it lifts, but might make it more stable.

Much smaller scale, I fitted a viscous centre diff to my Mini-Raminator years ago - it went from a 'flip-flop' unstable littl beastie to so stable it could be 2 scales bigger.

Al.

2 hours ago, Guns said:

Went back out today to a range of 6x local football pitches which were fairly flat. I managed to hit 48mph! It was only about 2/3 minutes into the run and motor temp was below 100f. However....

i poked it and started jumping at 1/4 throttle, just to see how "hot" i could get the motor under the circumstances. I got to 113f and then stripped something. It turned out to be a spur. The motor has been in and out so many times the plastics probably worn a bit giving a bad mesh. Ive ordered a Hot Racing Motor mount and set of chassis washers from Tower using some ecash and vouchers i had. 

I replaced the spur, gave it a clean and re lube then started on my Dusty Shroud. I always thought these were elastic, but you have to affix velcro. It took longer than i thought and isnt as nicely fitted as id hoped at the front but

62CD9943-C1C4-48DF-A789-0B640AE5D945_zps

Pity about the tyre you screwed the foam fella so not worth gluing it as the foam will just rip inside and bunch up wont hurt to try but I wouldn't hold my breath on it :( 

3 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Do you think the centre diffs just a bit 'tight' to start with or is it the oil that's too viscous.

Lower viscosity will obviously transfer a bit more power - possibly spinning - to the front if it lifts, but might make it more stable.

Much smaller scale, I fitted a viscous centre diff to my Mini-Raminator years ago - it went from a 'flip-flop' unstable littl beastie to so stable it could be 2 scales bigger.

Al.

No the oil is fine it's the mouldings on the bulk head everything just runs super tight 

Got a reply back from Traxxas regarding there wording and the diameter of the shafts ! 

Basically they upgraded the part they THOUGHT would cause breakage and therefore they made changes and beefed it up.. You have to laugh they added a 20p pin each end and charged you what £30 for it !! 

As far as there concerned i miss read there wording there not interested and please dont contact us regarding this matter agian 

Thanks Traxxas ;) 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Got a reply back from Traxxas regarding there wording and the diameter of the shafts ! 

Basically they upgraded the part they THOUGHT would cause breakage and therefore they made changes and beefed it up.. You have to laugh they added a 20p pin each end and charged you what £30 for it !! 

As far as there concerned i miss read there wording there not interested and please dont contact us regarding this matter agian 

Thanks Traxxas ;) 

Typical traxxas mate. Sadly. :ack:

so the cd mesh is a bit tight to the Cush/ slipper, I guess it might loosen up with a bit of runtime?

ramping and wheelie bars often don't mix that well. A big rear end hit on the bar can either damage it or damage what it's attached to... I've currently modded up a bit of plastic under tray from my baja I wasn't using as a sort of rear skid up the rear bumper. Looks crap and it's held on with cable ties!!! But I'm into function over form as u guys know and if it stops the bumper digging in on wheelies and helps to protect the rear shell bed I'll b more than happy. 

Not it ran it yet on the hd diff gears. The slightly chipped stickers went back in after the rebuild. I'd prefer if they last till I get the cd to try that with new hd's. my bro in law is on his way to the uk from China with my machined diff gears off of taobao. So not even seen them yet. 

Im holding off running my spanking clean x with brand new wheels n tyres in this cold, wet, grim weather. It's this time of year I cracked my 1st set of wheels and don't really trust the plastics in the cold. 

Anyone more recently had wheel issues at all? Or was it only me uk side that seemed to suffer with it? ( tho those sane wheels have survived beatings on my 5.ive without getting destroyed. Weird) 

2 hours ago, Ocdcbr said:

Looks good doddy. 

The cable tie across the bars to stop the esc flying out is probably the most successful mod Ive done! Haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mydoddy69 said:

Pity about the tyre you screwed the foam fella so not worth gluing it as the foam will just rip inside and bunch up wont hurt to try but I wouldn't hold my breath on it :( 

Yea i can see that now. Its a weird shape. Ive ordered some decent gorilla glue ill give it a go. Ive still got the Power Up funds in a pot at home so can use that for new wheels if I have too. Still dont know wether to just "order" those dock passions off eBay for £86 ready for me when stockers give in. Theres only the fan and wheely bar I want then. Stripping a spur today made me think its good to have a £3 part to let go. Couldve done more damage had it been steel

3 hours ago, Guns said:

However....

Thats a shame :( 

bob smith industries "instacure" is the best tyre glue in my experience, you may be best doing a proper job on it and stripping the tire off completely with some debonder so you can reposition the foam properly and put a wrap of gorilla tape around it to stop it from ripping and bunching up as Doddy mentioned. At £60 a pair if try anything to fix it :lol:

4 hours ago, Guns said:

Wrap those tires with 50lb to 80lb fishing line to reduce the chance of blowing a tire like that... I do 3 individual wraps per tread course, that way if a wrap lets loose you have two more backing it up, in total I have 9 wraps per tire.

tire20001_zps0w2cyrqd.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jump_it said:

Wrap those tires with 50lb to 80lb fishing line to reduce the chance of blowing a tire like that... I do 3 individual wraps per tread course, that way if a wrap lets loose you have two more backing it up, in total I have 9 wraps per tire.

tire20001_zps0w2cyrqd.jpg

Ill order some. Thanks for the tip. Do you just tie a knot?

This sorta thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141933143241 

Edited by Guns

1 hour ago, chilau said:

IMG-20170120-WA0015

2017-01-20_09-34-06

Bit of muddy action today.

Went to Slough buggy track, it was a mud bog.

Thought I'd share some quad video footage that I took of my friends Bajas a few weekends ago.

Will try and get some of the xmaxx, just need someone to drive it whilst I fly the quad.

Looks like you had great fun fella next time you head over Oxshot with the X Maxx let me know me and my boy will bring ours we can have a good old bash then :) 

Wheres the place in Slough ?  Got a postcode or address might have to pop over there ;) 

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Ill order some. Thanks for the tip. Do you just tie a knot?

This sorta thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141933143241 

Yes tie a knot best you can and super glue the knot, any 50lb to 80lb monofilament fishing line you can find on the cheap

• Like 1