• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New KM X2

beano123

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I'll tell you what I don't like, I've posted that handbags picture before and it got deleted! Bez posts it and half the forum clicks the "like" button! Talk about double standards! 

What was the topic? ;)

I felt like I had to like this to make you feel better :P

• Like 1

Well, I just Googled "Clone", And the first thing back was

Clones are organisms that are exact genetic copies. Every single bit of their DNA is identical. Clones can happen naturally—identical twins are just one of many examples. Or they can be made in the lab.

There you have It, None of them are clones.

4 minutes ago, babylon said:

Well, I just Googled "Clone", And the first thing back was

Clones are organisms that are exact genetic copies. Every single bit of their DNA is identical. Clones can happen naturally—identical twins are just one of many examples. Or they can be made in the lab.

There you have It, None of them are clones.

Well said.. So now we can call them what that really are cheap knock off copies lol  :P

• Like 2

Whatever people may think about them, This hobby has never been so cheap and accessible. I remember when a 7.2v SCE battery pack was 40 quid or more, And a half decent brushed motor was 50 quid, And this was 20 odd years ago.

To get any were near a race track in them days you had to be sponsored or have a rich dad, Which was why it was so eletist and full of snobs. 

Now anyone can have a go and do well without selling there soul.

• Like 1

Can we get a clone sticky? Somewhere for people to air their views, throw their toys, vent their anger? Somewhere we can all have a good laugh, and hopefully not keep thread-jacking peoples threads? 

Thoughts? 

• Like 3

Getting back on track, Some hate clones and all they stand for other don't. 

The X2 has a few problems and will need a few quid spent on it at some point, When that will be changes with each user, But you won't come across anything that hasn't been found by other users already.

Upgrade stuff when it breaks and it's not to bad, The way some talk you may fill you have to go out and get all this stuff straight away after you take delivery of the car which makes it look like a poor investment, It's not, It's fun to drive and own, And that's what it's about.

I make a lot of stuff for mine as opposed to buying cos that's what I like to do, Am in the process of filling in the under body at the moment as I was carrying 2kg of mud after the last bash, So will will put a update of that later cos it may be of help.

• Like 3

Radio shack made a truck called the "pro pulse" it's actually quite good mayb very good when you think it's a radioshack 1/18. 

Hpi saw it and made the hpi mini recon which isn't as good lol. Hpi owners in usa recommend the radioshack parts as upgrades.  

The hpi q32 has tiny changes but I don't care it is a China £15 1/32. I don't know which came first the q32 or that other 1/32 coming out with 2.4ghz proprietary steering. But the car was china's years before the Q32. 

Losi dbxl was kinda a clone or so we all thought when it had its veil of mystery around it or every logo known actually.  But losi thought it was good enough to put ther stickers on and electrics in. But not take the time to mould any losi logos into it. Like the rcmk does.  

I think that which is all known to be true helps the baja myth that China designed it and sold the rights to hpi. Something about the company had to wait 2yrs before they sold any units. Plus couldn't trade the name in usa ever. Two years later rovan hit usa. Km everywhere else. That's a little of the rumour. 

Km have what 20 variations of baja too mayb more. Most are 5b's different specs. But then there's an F1 to t2000. I wonder if the km road bajas had chassis changes like the hpi 5r has. I will have to check now. But check the full range of km/rovan bajas it's crazy. 

We should just be thankful were brits and don't mind alittle cloning. It enrages usa but we've been copying them for years anyway. But we founded usa so who's copying who lol. 

I would always rather the brand name, but if a product has a good rep I don't mind.

Ac cobra / shelby cobra. 

• Like 2

On Friday, January 08, 2016 at 11:00 PM, HYPER-BOY said:

What we need to redress the balance is for KM to come out with something original and for HPi and Losi to think - We could do with a bit of that....  Then copy it! - Wouldn't the forums be boring then!

Hpi did do that with the mini recon. It's a radio shack pro pulse 2 clone. 

Losi kinda did it with the dbxl in my book. Even tho the dbxl could have been a very loose clone of the 5ive so that's debatable. 

I'm sure losi has cloned before in the race scene. Losi 's motto is "If we're not the first we'll be the best" but that came from their youtube guy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Radio shack made a truck called the "pro pulse" it's actually quite good mayb very good when you think it's a radioshack 1/18. 

Hpi saw it and made the hpi mini recon which isn't as good lol. Hpi owners in usa recommend the radioshack parts as upgrades.  

The hpi q32 has tiny changes but I don't care it is a China £15 1/32. I don't know which came first the q32 or that other 1/32 coming out with 2.4ghz proprietary steering. But the car was china's years before the Q32. 

Losi dbxl was kinda a clone or so we all thought when it had its veil of mystery around it or every logo known actually.  But losi thought it was good enough to put ther stickers on and electrics in. But not take the time to mould any losi logos into it. Like the rcmk does.  

I think that which is all known to be true helps the baja myth that China designed it and sold the rights to hpi. Something about the company had to wait 2yrs before they sold any units. Plus couldn't trade the name in usa ever. Two years later rovan hit usa. Km everywhere else. That's a little of the rumour. 

Km have what 20 variations of baja too mayb more. Most are 5b's different specs. But then there's an F1 to t2000. I wonder if the km road bajas had chassis changes like the hpi 5r has. I will have to check now. But check the full range of km/rovan bajas it's crazy. 

We should just be thankful were brits and don't mind alittle cloning. It enrages usa but we've been copying them for years anyway. But we founded usa so who's copying who lol. 

I would always rather the brand name, but if a product has a good rep I don't mind.

Ac cobra / shelby cobra. 

Thats a very good read but for one point. If you buy the rights to a model or anything else for that matter its not a clone.

So, After coming back from our last bash, I noticed that the 5ive disign(See what I did there)is not too conducive for keeping mud and general stuff on the outside, Hence why Outwearers are so popular, So thought I would do the filling of the rollcage.

Now I wanted to try and seal in the wheel archers as much as I could so it was as much like a real car as I could possibly get it, And try to seal as much of the bodyshell as I could, My only problem was getting something to use for filling in, What I needed had to be pretty flexible, Easyish to cut, Of a size that I could cut largeish sizes out of, The main thing was it had to be strong without the tendency to shatter like ordinary plastic.

So as I always do, I started by looking around the house for things to use, I found the lid of tupperware box, Which would have been good, But only had the one, And it had pattens in it, And I wasn't buying a load of box's just for the lid, Looked at one of the little ones table mates, But Elas and Arna on show to the world was a step to far, So a trip back to B&M it was(Or the new Woolworths if you will). So of I trot down the household stuff aisle, And what do I see, A pack of kitchen cutting mats.

20160108_203323.jpg

Now this stuff is custom made for the job, There 350mm long by 290mm wide, And 1.9mm thick, You can bend it over 90 degrees without any ill effect, You can cut it with a good set of scissors, But it is tuff, I found it pretty easy if you just kept running a sharp Stanley along the cut line, This stuff is flexible, Super tough, And totally shatter proof.

If you don't have a B&M near you, I did find some in Ikea, These are a bit bigger and about 2mm thick, And feel a bit more rubber like, Pack of 2 red and green was £1.40, The ones from B&M were £3 a pack.

20160112_094647.jpg  

So off I go, I start by setting up on the dinner table so I can relax in front of the telly and go at my own rate, Start by making templates out of some card.

20160109_112057.jpg20160109_114614.jpg20160110_005832.jpg

I will say that it was no 5 minute job to do, Took some time to make the template so it never court on the shocks and stuff, And cutting it out of the mats was time consuming, But got there in the end.

20160110_114700.jpg

20160110_032257.jpg

There were some unused holes in the rollcage I could use, But I also had to drill some extra with a 2.8mm drill bit(I'll change the gold screws 

20160110_180545.jpg

20160110_195058.jpg

20160110_195109.jpg

Used some of the extra stuff left to fill in some of the back.

20160110_180552.jpg

pretty much, The wheel arches are totally enclosed with only a few very small gaps for anything to get through.

20160112_094411.jpg

Put some mesh over the front window to help keep it out of the front.

20160112_101930.jpg

One of the biggest problems was with the amount of mud that stuck and built up inside the wheels, There was something that I did on my old Hong Nor CRT back in the day, This was to put bit on the back and on the steering knuckle that protruded into the wheel as close as possible to stop any mud from building up, Worked a treat on the Hong Nor.

20160112_094215.jpg

20160112_094255.jpg20160112_094232.jpg

And there we have another tight fistted home project. 

• Like 2

Good work there, although a tad multi coloured for my taste! ;) 

You could also use HDPE plastic.  1mm in HDPE, or 1.6mm as a heavy duty option, is ample thickness and you could 'clone' (see what I did there! :)) Baby lons design...