• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Would a truggy be right for me?

Hey, 

i'm 100% new to offroad stuff, my experience in RC is limited to helicopters, drones and RC drifters. After reading through a couple of threads, i kinda have a hard time finding "an entry" to the hobby. Forums use a lot of abbreviations etc, so to gather info here is a bit like learning a new language. From what i understand (that's not me stating it, it's just what i've read), buggies have a higher "skill-ceiling", where truggies are easier/more stable to drive. That's why i think a truggy would be the correct thing, but then again, after trying to look up entry level truggies, you find things up to £800 in price (and higher) - which is completely out of the question for me, at least at the beginning.

Can someone recommend a way to get into the hobby? As in, start with 1/10 or 1/8 (1/8 would be my choice) - nitro/lipo (i prefer nitro, because it's new to me)? I saw a truggy on hobbyking for around £150, 1/8 nitro rtr - would that be a decent point to start, or is it a waste of money? 

Questions, and more questions. Sorry for that, but still would be much appreciated if someone could get me some hint on where to start looking.

Cheers

If you want a truggy from hobbyking, definitely consider the basher sabertooth.

Don't dismiss a buggy either. What should be considered first is the type of surface you will be on. Grass, dirt, tarmac and so on.??

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If bashing, you should look at the E-Firestorm. Its a 2WD(RWD) Stadium Truck. Similar to a Truggy (Just body styles, Buggy, Truggy, Stadium Truck etc)

I have one for sale with a excellent combo fitted and im asking £140 for it. Its in the for sale section or click the link in my signature. Its a good, reliable and tough truck and an excellent entry in off-road RC. Its HPI so has excellent part support in the UK. There is also a dedicated thread on here just for the E-Firestorm.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/212417-hpi-e-firestorm-with-hobbywing-combo/#comment-2223751*

Edited by Derka
Added link for E-Firestorm

Oh, i'm not dismissing buggies straight away. It's just that everyone (so far) said, that truggies are easier to drive fast-ish. And to me at least, they look better - but that's subjective.

As for where i want to run it, for the most part on gravel, grass and sand (in dunes). Tarmac not so much really, i have huge rugby fields here - but not really big tarmac surfaces. 

Derka, thanks for offering, it would be certainly smart for me to get something electric due to all the lipos i've got flying around here - but i think this time i want to go nitro, even though it might be the worse choice for buggies/truggies, it's the engineering and social part of it (father in law works with engines, so that's something to spend quality time on). 

edit: and yes, it's the basher sabertooth that i was looking at on hobbyking. Would you recommend it, Andy?

Edited by m4inbrain

People usually start with e firestorm but after a month or two their bored and back asking about 1/8 lol. So there's always a lightly used supply of them for sale.

Sink or swim lol go big or go home this is the kind of way we're told to think here so do it lol.

Flying a helicopter or quad is 10x harder than driving around a field so you're plenty skilled enough. If nitro is new territory tho mayb make sure you get either something without an engine or something with a nearly new engine. Preferably one that's known for being a good learner engine easy to tune maintain ect. Plus be widely used so finding information on forums will very easy. 

That rules out traxxas 3.3 engine lol that's aimed at learners but it's a real finicky engine in my opinion (imo) 

If you buy a used losi 8T roller for around £100-120 mayb less then you can get an LRP Z28R SPEC 3 engine for £100 on top and run it in correctly and learn the basics before struggling to fix someone else's problems.

Lots of people sell nitro rcs because they can't tune them or say it's because they can't tune it knowing it's just worn out. So beware buying any used engine. From eBay especially. 

£200 should get a well specd well maintained losi 8T with all the good brand bolt on add ons. Savox spectrum lrp proline ect. 

The hobbyking sabre tooth gets good reviews tho if you go that route. 

Nitro revo 3.3 with picco 26 engine is the best nitro I've had. 

£350 will buy you a full petrol 1/5 scale baja tho nearly 3ft long 23cc beast brand new if you really want to jump in the deep end but get maximum bang for buck. Altho £380 gets the upgraded version. 

But the saving on fuel would be good. £1 per litre instead of £10 

• Like 1

Yes. I would recommend one. They are very hardy, a few small changes and they just keep going.

I have had mine for over a year and no major problems at all.

I have a thread on here, that I haven't updated for a while, as the sabertooth just works. I have just started to do a diff, shock and tyre overhaul while the weather is a bit poor.

Note to self, update thread.

While I remember, you will need a transmitter and receiver. And 2s lipos.

Andy

Well the Sabertooth is certainly something i'm looking at, since it's a really easy and cheap way to get started and see if it actually sticks with me, as drifter sadly didn't (partially because i can't drive them down here, no proper surface).

That being said, the Losi 8T roller, if i can find one, plus a new engine might be something too. Would need to check prices and availability, because something i found out with my drifters: a chassis that is already tuned and partially hopped up, is kinda hard to wrap your head around. Maybe that's just me though. 

Tx i got, some cheapish thingy that came with my MST drifter, but that should do the trick. And 1/5 mate, .. That's a bit too big. 

So for roughly £200 (which i'd like to not go over too far, since it's just "probing the hobby"), i should get either the Sabertooth + some parts, or a Losi 8T roller with new engine. Is that correct?

edit: or if one pops up, a HPI Trophy 4.6v2? I really like that one, but sadly as new it's over budget :(

Edited by m4inbrain

Ignore the Trophy - there's always plenty for sale for a good reason - not upto the job imo.  When we go out bashing it was always the Trophy's that gave up first, same story from the limited 1/8 track experience I've had.

BSR Sabretooth looks a good buy for your budget, and for me, as you already have lipo infrastructure, would seem the sensible choice over Nitro.

3 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

BSR Sabretooth looks a good buy for your budget, and for me, as you already have lipo infrastructure, would seem the sensible choice over Nitro.

I know, it would be. But i really want to get into nitro, starting 20 years ago when i was 14. Never, ever did even drive one, and i think now at 34, it's finally time to bite that bullet. Especially, as mentioned, since engines are something that my father in law can relate to, he knows how to tune engines, so from the pure mechanical aspect, i'm covered. Sitting together in the garage and fiddling with an engine is something i actually look forward to. 

It's part of the appeal of nitro - it's more like a gut-decision, rather than a head-decision. Also, in the dunes, nitro simply is easier and less limited in drive time, since i can't really charge up there. 

edit: and thanks for the info on the HPI, i was already considering selling one of my smaller helis to get one. Guess that's out of the window then.

Edited by m4inbrain

The losi 8t is probably the most well known truggy but they gave afew problems too. I haven't had issues with my limited exexperience with them but hear the shock springs are soft and even the strongest springs with tons of preload still leaves lots of room for improvement. Altho the front centre drive shaft it as a stupid angle not a big problem I guess but it annoyed me alot. I fitted a losi brushless conversion kit and shaft rubbed the rx box. There could be other niggles easily worked out tho. 

BUT.... Running on sand is the fastest way to kill the best rcs lol so definitely find an rc that would help that out. Like being easy to take apart quick diff access, axle boots ect ect. 

Will there be salt water too? That's another rc killer salt water kills waterproof electrics I think and lipos. 

Hobao hyper ST, is a popular truggy built like a tank I hear alot from St owners. 

Thunder tiger ST1 another truggy. I hear parts aren't as easy to find for thunder tigers but who knows. 

Hot bodies D8T 

That's a world class racer and very strong it's pretty much the same as a hpi vorza. Very high quality truggy. I've had a set of shocks from one and they was the best shocks I've had by miles super smooth excellent quality. I bet the rest or the truggy is too. 

Traxxas erevo over priced and I think the sand would kill it faster than any other listed above. 

I can't think of any other mainstream 1/8 triggers but the trophie and the post above cancels that out. 

While I remember there is now a nitro sabertooth. Just been released in the last month. Must be worth a look. It will share a lot of parts with its electric version.

Well, it's close to the coast, yes (south wales). I'd stay away from that anyway, even with waterproof electrics. The dunes etc are in close proximity, but the RC would never come in contact with the actual water. 

Checked the ones you mentioned briefly, they're all more expensive than i'd like them to be. I don't mind throwing alot of (read: too much) money at my hobbies, but not on entry. 

About sand being an RC killer, is it really that bad? I do know that my drifter (belt) has trouble with anything bigger than a dust particle, stripped the belt twice already - but i thought that truggies and "rugged stuff" was supposed to handle sand with easy. Maybe i have a misconception there. :(

I presonally dont think Id ever buy a new kit again for a BASHER.  Race kit like a Mugen / Hot Bodies D8T - yes perhaps.

1. skip 1/10th scale and go straight to the man stuff with 1/8th - durability.  10th is for kids and racers in that class.

2. since youre intrigued by nitro - perhaps getting a solid used nitro conversion vehicle.  So if the Methane fumes over come you and you must burn nitro - you can put all the nitro gear on it and go do your thing.

3. Keep in mind entry level kits are heavy on plastic bits and essentially designed to be Loss Leaders to sell replacement and hop up parts.  Like giving you a boss printer for $15 and selling you replacement ink supplies for a bloody fortune.

4. Buggy vs. Truggy - if park bashing - truggy ftw - track time ... either.  More people running 8th scale buggy typically to race against.  Im partial to truggies personally.

5. I think one of the best bangs for your buck - run time vs wrench time - Hyper ST Pro Truggy.  Try and grab a solid 2nd hand one and you can refresh it with replacement parts as needed off ebay and UK distributors.  Still has strong parts support for the consumeable bits.  Driveshafts / bearings / arms etc.  I can get fresh chassis off ebay for $70 shipped.  Might just need to inventory parts like lower A Arms and Front and Rear driveshaft CVD universals.

6.  If the Hyper ST doesnt suit your fancy [ its well supported here on these forums btw too ] Perhaps a newer vehicle like a Hot Bodies [ HPI ] D8T Truggy will have good parts support.  Its a nice truck - hell you could race it respectably too if ya wanted in on that action.  Looks tuff.  Tho - not alot tuffer than a well done Hyper ST imho.

Best of luck!

3 minutes ago, Andythecrane said:

While I remember there is now a nitro sabertooth. Just been released in the last month. Must be worth a look. It will share a lot of parts with its electric version.

Yeah, that's the one i was looking at. Didn't know they do an electric one too. 

While i'm at it, that Sabertooth comes with a .28 engine. Is that enough for a 1/8 truggy? To be entirely honest, i don't even know what .28 means. I assume it's a metric for displacement? 

edit: sputnik, checked the D8T and only read good things so far - but sadly, it's a bit out of budget and might simply be "too much" as the first offroader. I don't really need something that can win races, i need something that doesn't hurt if it dies. ;)

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

Sand can get into every nook and cranny build up then start forming a paste that'll eat through whatever its rubbing against. Bearings, diff case even gears mayb.

If it's service cleaned every other run it'll be fine but if you leave it and leave it then it will wear the moving parts out much faster than running anywhere else. 

Great thing about buying used is buy something in good condition at a good price, then if you don't get on with it you can sell it for nearly as much as you paid. Where as buying new you lose a huge portion once it's been run. 

I've never ran on ssand but hear alot about it being an "rc killer" lol. I haven't read too much into how nitro engines fare against sand tho I would definitely look into that aswel.

1 grain of sand getting into the engine could cause damage tho. But a dust shroud should help.  

Edited by RCbutcher

Just now, RCbutcher said:

Sand can get into every nook and cranny build up then start forming a paste that'll eat through whatever its rubbing against. Bearings, diff case even gears mayb.

If it's service cleaned every other run it'll be fine but if you leave it and leave it then it will wear the moving parts out much faster than running anywhere else. 

Oh yeah, of course it'll be cleaned after sand runs. That's not the general area where i'm gonna drive, that's grass/dirt, maybe a bit of gravel. Sand is in the dunes, where i have to drive out to, so that's just something that happens once in a while - like a "day out". After that, i'd obviously have an after-drive-session with wrenches and oils, and my air pressure generator.

" Great thing about buying used is buy something in good condition at a good price "

There's the problem: as a beginner, i can't tell what looks good and what doesn't. A shiny polished engine to me looks "good", even though it actually might be broken. You know what i mean?

Edited by m4inbrain

.28 is a CC displacement metric - specious at best though ;-)  Its a big block and should push a truggy just fine.  Not all nitro mills are created equal tho mate.

Most truggies at pro level competition are racing @ .21 displacement - and they haul the mail.  Racing A Mains for a solid hour with fuel pit stops only.  Thats some bad ass'ry right there.

I.. have no idea what you just said. :D

And no, of course there's differences. I was just wondering where the price comes from (£136), because obviously you only get what you pay for. I guess i'm gonna check around in the sales section here, see if something cheap and cheerful pops up, and if not, the Sabertooth might be the RC for me. It's hard to argue with a 136 quid price tag for RTR. If i throw it down the cliff after 10 hours of driving, it already paid for itself. 

As i said, i'm willing to spend up to £200 for an ARR, and most of what was listed here is out of that ballpark sadly. 

That being said, are there any other UK classifieds that one could check, apart from these here (btw, i bought my MS01D here too, just realized ^^)?

Edited by m4inbrain

Yes mate and some ebay sellers prey on new guys by polishing a turd for pics and hiding the bad stuff to make the ad look good. 

To try and dodge that first ide buy from here, but if I use ebay feedback is everything try to only deal with 100% positive 100+ sellers.  Send messages ask silly questions you don't need to ask just to see how they respond. 

Even doing all that can still get a turd posted to you with expectations of a refurbished to high standard. 

Most sellers are honest and genuine ttho I've had mayb 30+ used rcs and only ever had one rc i really regretted. That was a losi 8t lol. 

If you do find anything on ebay you like tho post a link for the guys to have a look and post their opinion on it. But this can back fire and bring extra competition in bids lol. 

It's a very good time to be looking for a used nitro tho being winter true hobby guys will be clearing out for their new Xmas rc

It's the summer time when bad sellers move junk those rcs are pass the parcel but by winter they've cleared off usually.  

Most December January's I've been on this forum I've seen tons of great deals pop up with detailed adverts mayb needing work doing but their upfront and honest about it. 

I don't mind buying a junk rc so long as I know and the price reflects it, I enjoy the servicing rebuilding more than bashing tho.

This forum also has a good feedback system so you can check most sellers if anyone has something you'd like. Ther also more willing to chat before and after they the money lol. 

Yeah i know mate, as i just realized - i already bought my first RC drifter from here a couple of years back :D

edit: page looked different then though, iirc

edit2: sadly, no luck on the first 15 pages of sales section. qq

edit3: no hobao hyper st either. Just my luck. ^^

Edited by m4inbrain

3 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah i know mate, as i just realized - i already bought my first RC drifter from here a couple of years back :D

edit: page looked different then though, iirc

edit2: sadly, no luck on the first 15 pages of sales section. qq

edit3: no hobao hyper st either. Just my luck. ^^

have a haggle....see if he`ll post it....I sent a 5ltr tin of fuel with both the last 2 nitros I sold with no issues......I used uk mail........aslong as the container is not leaking it should b fine....if packaged well.......jus say its a rc toy car in the parcel.....;)...I always do a vid of any rc I sell so the buyer knows exactly what hes buying.....if  u buy 2nd hand ...always get a vid of it working......if they cant/wont do one....walk away....

Edited by evssv

35 minutes ago, evssv said:

have a haggle....see if he`ll post it....I sent a 5ltr tin of fuel with both the last 2 nitros I sold with no issues......I used uk mail........aslong as the container is not leaking it should b fine....if packaged well.......jus say its a rc toy car in the parcel.....;)...I always do a vid of any rc I sell so the buyer knows exactly what hes buying.....if  u buy 2nd hand ...always get a vid of it working......if they cant/wont do one....walk away....

Yeah, i saw that one, but since he wouldn't post it - he's in the north east, i'm in the south west. :D

Guess i'm going with the Sabertooth 1/8 nitro, it'll be enough to bash around a bit and see how much fun i have, if i enjoy it thoroughly and get the "itch" i had with my drones (started small nano drone, had to build a 250 racer with fpv not even a week later), i will see if i can't get something higher grade - and the Sabertooth will go to my wife, as she enjoys RC every now and then as well. 140 bucks simply isn't beatable. 

But thank you for letting me now. :)

edit: sidenote though, diff-oils? That thing ships with just grease in the diffs, which seems a bit under par - what would you guys suggest, 7000wt front, 10000wt center, 3000wt rear?

Edited by m4inbrain

Well, sent him a PM - although i'm a bit on the "meh" side, considering i can't check any history here of that person. So i'd only do it through eBay or another 3rd party (my drifter i bought via paypal gifting here, but that person was well known), and that'll add up.