• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 > 808 project

Wrighty8766

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Wrighty8766 said:

A little more progress, i just need to fit the esc, rx box and strengthen up the shell and get her tested :)

fd2a844af62f6cabcd91ca5d2e3e1c7f.jpgbc7987b2df858d4cbf2c1bf0230b6b4d.jpgf839aa2ae95c2e8a36e701ecc635d4af.jpg

Looking good mate.  Does the CF sheet for the sidepods extend under the chassis in one continuous piece?  Def room for some pain free easy weight loss getting the 7 chassis milled / cut away.

Looking good mate.  Does the CF sheet for the sidepods extend under the chassis in one continuous piece?  Def room for some pain free easy weight loss getting the 7 chassis milled / cut away.

It is an a4 sheet of ABS (carbon effect) running straight across the underneath, I did think about chopping some chassis but i would imagine it will weaken the chassis a fair bit

32 minutes ago, Wrighty8766 said:

It is an a4 sheet of ABS (carbon effect) running straight across the underneath, I did think about chopping some chassis but i would imagine it will weaken the chassis a fair bit

13 minutes ago, cookie666uk said:

mill the hell out of it then glue the sheet to it. you will gain strength and loose weight....

Not my area of expertise (mfp might be a good to tap up) but you should be able to remove sections like the nitro holes, without too much issue I'd have thought.  Most of the forces on it will be front to back (under acceleration) so long thin slots cut in running front to back should be fine.  There's probably some twisting forces involved with the motor/centre diff so perhaps that area would need leaving.

Just some thoughts as I know weight was on your mind.

looking at my 8.5 underneath the motor at the rear and underneath the esc at the front are the obvious areas. the rest id be very dubious of removing material. still a good few grams lost..... 

with regards to shape and size, as much as you dare... as long as all corners have a radius not a point and all edges have a smooth chamfer (.5mm all round at that thickness material) it shouldnt crack with the use you'd be putting it under. 

however if you decide to glue the abs sheet to it you could probably get away with a bit more as it adds so much strength to the chassis ( note modern super cars are mostly glued aluminium and carbon fibre chassis's)

13 hours ago, Wrighty8766 said:

The rules state you need to use a stock chassis for the 8O8 class

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...