• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 > 808 project

Wrighty8766

well, I think it's safe to say that the winter season is upon us for the next few months, with this in mind I have decided to break down my hyper 7 speed runner (which I have just rebuilt and haven't even ran yet) and turn it back into a basher and build something new ready for when the weather picks up again.

ignore all of the above as I have changed the project into an 808 build :) I will be using parts from the hyper GTB to convert it to an onroad car

a9491f7fe97a7dac0e2abe360cc3dddf.jpg

This is just with 6s and I can't fit the lid on properly :-/

the on road she'll will give me much more room to fit 8s in 

4243b116aef63b727b84618b4fdad860.jpg

Edited by Wrighty8766
Edited for new project :)

As i understand it as long as the chassis is standard the length doesnt matter, it will still quality for the 808 class.

So using a hyper st chassis for the extra length and keeping the buggy corners is fine i believe (if thats your plan)

12 minutes ago, pieman5 said:

As i understand it as long as the chassis is standard the length doesnt matter, it will still quality for the 808 class.

So using a hyper st chassis for the extra length and keeping the buggy corners is fine i believe (if thats your plan)

That is basically the plan yes, I'll have to look into it more and see what it does actually qualify as, thanks pieman 

Edited by Wrighty8766

If Im not mistaken the Hyper SST truggy chassis and the Hyper GTe onroad car share same or similar chassis.  Pretty sure once you got the hing pins and diff hold down bits in place all hyper 7 running gear is just bolt on.

Hinge pin holders - rear toe in plates etc...

Like the motor forward Idea ... however not sure what you'll do on a high speed car for spur?  Will it clear chassis or will you need to relieve another slot for it on the opposite side of the diff?  was one of the issues we had with some of our first iteration of brushless truggy conversions - before Hong Nor et al made real kits.

2 hours ago, sputnik said:

If Im not mistaken the Hyper SST truggy chassis and the Hyper GTe onroad car share same or similar chassis.  Pretty sure once you got the hing pins and diff hold down bits in place all hyper 7 running gear is just bolt on.

Hinge pin holders - rear toe in plates etc...

Like the motor forward Idea ... however not sure what you'll do on a high speed car for spur?  Will it clear chassis or will you need to relieve another slot for it on the opposite side of the diff?  was one of the issues we had with some of our first iteration of brushless truggy conversions - before Hong Nor et al made real kits.

All of the parts between the 7 and the ST are interchangeable (bar one or two parts) my basic plan is using an ST chassis and a hyper 7 front and rear end so it should be pretty straight forward. 

I have a 32t spur that is fitted to the 7 at the moment and it is pretty far away from the chassis to be fair

577dcad2e16ae0ae794ca5cc4f7dfc55.jpg

48 minutes ago, ajlovering said:

You can make the body as long as you want as long as the chassis is stock and it will still be in the 8O8 class. My 8O8 car is going to have a body twice as long as the original car

Cheers

So if I used the st chassis would that not be classed as stock? it's the space on the chassis on the 7 that's a problem for me

• Like 1

Ok I see the problem. The class definition is as follows

• Chassis should be 1/8th scale and commercially available GT type or converted buggy. Chassis must be factory not custom made.
  • Mods to the chassis are allowed but must not replace existing factory chassis
  • Single electric motor any size
  • Maximum of 8 cells
  • Max cell voltage 4.2 Volts per cell
  • Max Mah of cells = Unlimited
  • Custom or commercially available body shell which must cover the wheels.

The class was added to the ROSSA list to allow the guys in america who have lots of 8 cell buggies with GT shells to run. We didnt want to create just another 8 cell class like the 4 and 6 cell classes as it didnt make sense so this class is is restricted to GT cars with limited mods. The main thing about this class is to modify the body to see how that increases the speed.

If you want to carry out lots of modifications then I would look at the 6 cell class. We already have speeds of over 160 mph with the 4 cell class and so I see lots of room for improvements to the 6 cell class.

For now the 8O8 class is for stock kits with commercially available parts and must retain the original chassis or an upgraded one that was built for the type of car you have.

There is plenty of scope for modifications within other classes

Cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ajlovering said:

Ok I see the problem. The class definition is as follows

• Chassis should be 1/8th scale and commercially available GT type or converted buggy. Chassis must be factory not custom made.
  • Mods to the chassis are allowed but must not replace existing factory chassis
  • Single electric motor any size
  • Maximum of 8 cells
  • Max cell voltage 4.2 Volts per cell
  • Max Mah of cells = Unlimited
  • Custom or commercially available body shell which must cover the wheels.

The class was added to the ROSSA list to allow the guys in america who have lots of 8 cell buggies with GT shells to run. We didnt want to create just another 8 cell class like the 4 and 6 cell classes as it didnt make sense so this class is is restricted to GT cars with limited mods. The main thing about this class is to modify the body to see how that increases the speed.

If you want to carry out lots of modifications then I would look at the 6 cell class. We already have speeds of over 160 mph with the 4 cell class and so I see lots of room for improvements to the 6 cell class.

For now the 8O8 class is for stock kits with commercially available parts and must retain the original chassis or an upgraded one that was built for the type of car you have.

There is plenty of scope for modifications within other classes

Cheers

I just picked up my first GT class car [ Im an offroad guy ]  - the OFNA / Hong Nor DM1 Spec [ nitro and electric ] - both are in bits in a rather large box atm ... but I will compare the Hyper ST Pro Chassis length to the DM1 Spec and post up a pic.  The Hong Nor GT X3 car and the Hobao GT car seem to be modeled after the "truggy" length chassis not buggy length - but I could be in error here.  If thats the case Im not sure how the Hyper ST length chassis would violate.  Will compare to the DM1 Pro 1/7th length chassis I have as well ...

However as Im re reading your post above - and I defer to your experience and knowledge - as Im a total newb to this stuff - it appears GT is buggy length chassis - just no kickup in front?

.... more to follow

Yep, the way I read the rules is that you have to run 1/8 buggy chassis or a stock GT chassis, I know the Kyosho Inferno is a odd length, I'll go investigate and report back 

Edit.... The Inferno is 360mm wheelbase 

Edited by .AJ.

Hyper GTe specs

SPECS:

• Length: 543mm / 21.4 in
  • Width: 310mm / 12.5 in
  • Height: 184mm / 7.25 in
  • Wheelbase: 330mm / 13 in

Ofna / Hing Nor Dm-1e Spec - specs:

Specs:

• Length: 21.5 inches / 546mm
  • Wheel Base: 12.75in / 324mm
  • Width: 13.2 inch / 335mm
  • Weight: 8.3 lbs / 3765g

Hong Nor DM-1 1/7th Nitro  |  Hong Nor DM-1 Spec Nitro  |  Hobao Hyper ST Pro Truggy

2015-11-23_1614.png

Hobao Hyper 7 +4mm / Hyper 7L Buggy chassis ...

2015-11-23_1617.png

Edited by sputnik

Thanks for all the info guys, it's not something I have really read up on to be honest. I think I'll have a look and see what the smallest 4s I can get in there without any issues so I can keep the buggy chassis....I don't fancy my odds in the electric open class :D if all else fails I throw in the 2200kv 1717 I have and stick to the 6s class :)

if if this is the case then I may start another project too, I need something to keep me busy over the winter :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24 November 2015 at 14:36:53, ajlovering said:

From what I see above only the Hang Nor DM-1 1/7 scale is not allowed as its 1/7 and not 1/8. All the others are OK as long as you use all the kit parts that come with the chassis or upgrades available

Cheers

I'm still mulling over this at the moment, I have been looking at the hyper GTB and it seems that they have two different models, one is standard buggy length chassis and the other is roughly 30mm longer. Would the LWB one still class as an 808? 

Im still really confused as to wether a hyper 7 converted to a GT using an st chassis would qualify as an 808 :(