• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Maxx Help

coffeecup

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums but not to RC. In the year 2000/2001 I stopped following RC as a hobby. I recently came back to it after deciding I just wanted a little toy to play with and maybe keep in the car, plus I figured it might be a way to meet people...anyway. I bought a a Slash 4x4 on eBay and it came with a box of 'stuff'. Inside I have found what I believe to me a Maxx truck. The problem is I can't actually work out which it is. There seems to be a large number of parts missing, it looks like maybe the person was building it. I am really at a loss as to what I have got on my hands and what on earth to do with it. I mean if I can get a running truck then bonus! The truck only seems to have 3 drive shafts. One of the chassis has a gear box, the other doesn't....there was even some little stadium style truck in the box! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, maybe what I have and what are my options? Is it old? Can part's be gotten for this truck? Is it even worth building?

large.2015-11-14_11.20.08.jpg.a37916e1falarge.2015-11-14_11.19.49.jpg.063779f1e7large.2015-11-14_11.19.52.jpg.bc274cdfe6large.2015-11-14_11.19.55.jpg.f99d40231a

Hi. The gearbox in the Nitro probably won't cope with brushless. You can lock it in 2nd gear, that'll help stop it failing at first throttle of brushless. There's a lot of rpm there. Their stuff is bombproof :) . Personally I'd go for building a emaxx. Have a Google to check out what you need 

Ok, so taking that information. The grey chassis is missing a lot of stuff, it has 3 drive shafts, one of which is missing a half shaft, there are no middle drive shafts, obviously no gear box and the one on the blue chassis won't fit on, plus the E-Maxx on the traxxas website has a gearbox that looks nothing like it. There are no bearings at most corners. There are  bunch of screws missing (a lot of which seem to be phillips head). The arms seem to be the RPM ones you guys mentioned but so do the shock towers/body posts. The shocks are quite frankly...shocking. There is no steering, There seems to be no servos (although servos on the other chassis but no idea if they are any good). There seem to be no chassis braces underneath. The diff casings are aluminium, as too are the bulkheads. The front bumper mounts won't screw in or out of the bulkheads. Obviously there are no electronics :D 

I am trying to find which model of E-Maxx this could be as there are several on their website. Any idea which? 

Right, that's quite a list of missing parts, but they're all available from chop shops at good prices. A Maxx like that would make for a reasonable basher so long as it's kept down on 4S, up the voltage and it'll struggle to cope. 

Screw sets are available, or just use a fixings company and get a shed load of various sizes, I use Orbitals. 

Motor; 2000 or 2200 kv, staying on 4S. 

Servo; you can either fit two medium power items, or go for one high power. I favour Hitec, but Savox are ok. Do consider using an external BEC though, your steering will be far more responsive. 

The stock plastic CVDs are ok on 4S, I keep spares of those as they're cheap to get from the aforementioned chop shops. 

The gearbox could be pricey, I got lucky a few years back and picked one up for under 40 quid. The ERBE and EMBE share the same box. 

Ok. Thank you very much for the info :) What I think I may do is build it up to be a rolling chassis and then move it on so I can get myself a Truggy or similar. :) I should be fun to build it up though, I haven't worked on a car in years!

EDIT: Maybe not actually, after doing to research I do quite like the look of the Maxx trucks. I just wonder if they are a bit...tippy. Do they handle ok? It seems to sit quite high. 

Edited by coffeecup

Ive just converted my T-Maxx. The nitro box is fine with brushless. Im running only 2s on a 3750kv motor. The gearbox has been converted to single speed which is a ratio inbetween 1st and 2nd, ive also converted it to forwards only. Its handled everything ive thrown at it so far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm having plenty of fun with it, things to watch out for are..... Too much power will shred the driveline and turn the diffs into mince meat. Make sure you've got decent ESC and brushless motor. Buy cheap, buy twice as I'm now discovering.....

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

The lowest I would have thought would be 2700kv on 3s lipo. I've seen converted revo 2.5s on that set up pulling tame wheelies and ok speed wise. 

Trackstar 2650kv motor might be a good tame choice too.

Leapard motors are very good too, there's a review of the Leppard 2700kv 4065 motor on Google saying it's magnets are excellent quality. I have that motor which is why I looked it up. It's very good. 

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Clod truck said:

Hi tmaxx dave.

I also run 2700kv with 3cell lipo's but constantly shread rear diffs just wondering if you have this problem.?

Check your bearings and diff housing, make sure the diff isn't moving around. On 3S you shouldn't be eating diffs at all.