• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pieman5's 105MPH Rustler

pieman5

Im pretty much keeping it as it is for next year.

I felt like it had more speed in it with the current setup so i will see what i can get first then start changing things.

The main problem was not being able to accelerate fast enough due to a lack of weight at the front and running out of runup too quickly.

So i will try and add weight (probably by replacing the plastic wedge at the front with a brass slab) and using a longer runup starting on the proper drag strip.

It probably would help but at the moment i struggle to reach full throttle quickly enough on the run.

my runup looking at google maps is around 300 yards and im at full throttle with less than 75 yards to go to the traps.

I could keep on the throttle after the traps and use a gps, but the problem is the surface gets REALLY  rough pretty quickly after the traps so i need to start slowing down.

The only option is to move the runup further back onto the actual drag strip (which is extremely slippy) and use it to gain some low end speed to get on throttle quicker

• 4 months later...

Quick update on this.

Ran 98.7mph today. Not quite the 105 its done before but i was mainly checking handling issues.

The car is much more stable now and with the added weight to the front i can get on the power better.

Also tried some of the new Velocity wheels from GRP. They were EXTREMELY good. Id recommend everyone to get some ;)

Next step is to have a fiddle with the esc settings, and i also want to try a 2650kv motor and see how it changes things.

Edited by pieman5

The tyres looked great when I got them delivered... Obviously been properly thought out for this application.  Pleased the car went well mate... Nice weather for it where I am, did it turn out good at the track for you guys?  

Yeah good weather, was quite windy but sunny.

Tony got your car (cant remember what it is) to 102.68mph

It was superbly stable and went very straight, think you will be pleased with it.

7 hours ago, pieman5 said:

Yeah good weather, was quite windy but sunny.

Tony got your car (cant remember what it is) to 102.68mph

It was superbly stable and went very straight, think you will be pleased with it.

Yes Tony had dropped me a line... Sounds like I've a good platform to build from then...

Just need the Baja to get to that number too now! :D

Edited by Carpmart
  • Like 1

Nope , not running a gyro.

Once its going straight i dont have to touch the steering much.

I have the dual rate set at 15% now (down from 35%) for minor adjustments just it case it veers off slightly.

8 minutes ago, pieman5 said:

Nope , not running a gyro.

Once its going straight i dont have to touch the steering much.

I have the dual rate set at 15% now (down from 35%) for minor adjustments just it case it veers off slightly.

Thanks for the insight, I am hopefully going to ensure that mine is balanced and the aero means I don't have to steer at higher speeds, will be reducing down the rate on my transmitter when having a go at higher speeds. Its good to know that you can get up to over 100mph with the open wheel setup though!

• 10 months later...