• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas X-Maxx.

Tug

I'm very confident this isn't going to be another octane style failure of a RC. 

Asside from the teething problems the yanks seem to love theirs. You could tell with trucks like the octane they where a instant failure.

yup agreed.

If this so called delayed batch 1 were actually in customs.  Then no one would actually know when the customs department would 'clear' them and allow the shipment to continue to its destination.  The fact that Germany doesn't have em too kinda confirms this.

The thing is though:  Any body providing a date of arrival is either wrong or (more likely)  Traxxas is not or has not sent anyone batch 1!  Did Batch 1 even arrive at Eu customs in the 1st place?!  and if it did where is it now cos u fellas imo are not going to ever see it. 

Batch 2 is likely twice as big and they delayed it upon deciding batch 1 was unfit.  Would you seriously ship something twice across the world if u didn't need to?

I believe the 2nd batch that has been 'fixed' has been green labelled for clearance by customs hence shops forwarding expected dates.  Or it has been assumed (yet again) that customs will clear a shipment shortly.

Edited by Deafty
typo

18 minutes ago, Guns said:

I think people need to ignore the word "batch", its confusing people. Theyll be a list. First oens to come in, will go to the first people on the list in order. Simples.

my point was traxxas are not telling the truth

57 minutes ago, turok007 said:

X-MaxxMount2_zpsi2egiodv.jpg

X-MaxxMountMounted_zpsaci2qvrn.jpg

Looks a nice bit of kit that and very well priced. I like the top brace and the included esc mount is a bonus. I will be tempted to order that motor and esc too from kershaw when I order the mounts. 

19 minutes ago, Guns said:

So it never even came out?

It came out, alright, but it was very slow, and quite unreliable. And had an almost X-Maxx-like price tag! :P

Another issue is that they had it announced for a few years, but Losi, in secret, were working on an XXL LST2 petrol, as well. When Losi announced it to the World at Nuremberg (it was a massive shock), they were only about a month from release. This forced HPI to get the Savage Octane out, asap, as they'd been dawdling with it. So the Octane seemed to be a bit... I dunno... lacking, I guess is the word.

Both trucks were very flawed, the Losi has been known to have serious reliability issues, but at least it was quick, handled well and jumped great. The Savage, on the other hand, was like a brick: slow, cumbersome and lacking any excitement.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Praet0r87 said:

It came out, alright, but it was very slow, and quite unreliable. And had an almost X-Maxx-like price tag! :P

Another issue is that they had it announced for a few years, but Losi, in secret, were working on an XXL LST2 petrol, as well. When Losi announced it to the World at Nuremberg (it was a massive shock), they were only about a month from release. This forced HPI to get the Savage Octane out, asap, as they'd been dawdling with it. So the Octane seemed to be a bit... I dunno... lacking, I guess is the word.

Both trucks were very flawed, the Losi has been known to have serious reliability issues, but at least it was quick, handled well and jumped great. The Savage, on the other hand, was like a brick: slow, cumbersome and lacking any excitement.

Can you still buy the Octane? OR is it Dsicontinued now?

I dunno... Not so sure it was that the octane lacked any excitement. If u follow hemistorm at all ( which surely some of u must do as he's well into 1/5 and many of u lot seem to be too)..he finally got his running reasonably well... 20+ tanks in I think it was by then and when it was running well he seemed to love it!... Flawed tho yes, most definitely... And reliability of starting and running seemed to me to be the main probs... It was very loud too!... Some say obscenely so... Mx bike 2 stroke sound. 

From that short blurb I read a few pages back on these new hpi cars it said something about coming with a fully run in motor... If this v2 octane is reliable and starts/ runs as it should it could be very very good. The lst gasser seemed like a bit of a nightmare too... Plus it had none of the Mt looks of the octane which when combined with a gas motor ( small but not nitro sized like the lst) were the selling points for me... I'm yet to ever own a savage of any sort but if the octane v2 is as I hope plus at a reasonable price I'm going for it. ( price wise tho at £700+ no doubt it will be 100 ish too much for me!)

^^ is that the kershaw setup?

Edited by Ocdcbr

It's a shame it failed I liked the look of the octane, must of been my love of MTs shining through but it looked good on some vids and I was very close to buying one. The fact there wasn't a single good review put me off. 

14 hours ago, sean-vrs said:

Fair enough, I havnt got a xl2 and I like the look of them so that's the route I'm following, and would like to try 8s in the x01

the octane and losi trucks also suffered from a strange & long break in process

31 minutes ago, NG15 said:

It's a shame it failed I liked the look of the octane, must of been my love of MTs shining through but it looked good on some vids and I was very close to buying one. The fact there wasn't a single good review put me off. 

I actually called my hobby stores in st albans with my cc in hand to order 1 a cpl days after release b4 all the horror stories had emerged about them not running right or being a pig to break in and tune.... he said he could not get hold of 1 but i could order the losi instead which he thought would b much better...i didn't want it tho as i already had nitro and bl lst2's....

the octane uses a 15cc 2 stroke. 3 speed trans i think from memory...?

Battery's just arrived for the xmaxx. Not bad for 107 quid. All the cells are good. 

Still awaiting my iMax x350 touch charger, power supply, connectors and charge bag from hobbyking then I'm ready for the truck.......

image_zpsbatqt6ur.jpeg

9 minutes ago, turok007 said:

i still want the losi but i cannot find out much about it.  Nothing on the forums

there is a fair bit on urc about it... At the moment though i would not recommend the lst2xxl gas at all.... I think the motor needs sorting and/or u need to run the ignition setup from a different battery/ power supply to the servos/reciever as all sorts of glittching seems to occur stock :(

Edited by Ocdcbr

9 minutes ago, NG15 said:

Battery's just arrived for the xmaxx. Not bad for 107 quid. All the cells are good. 

Still awaiting my iMax x350 touch charger, power supply, connectors and charge bag from hobbyking then I'm ready for the truck.......

image_zpsbatqt6ur.jpeg

nice batts! 4 the price....:D

i've got 4 of the 5500's...