• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best all round Baja 5b engine for under

coolas4k

I'm ready to make the switch from my 26cc CY beauty which I do in fact love and shall be keeping as a trusty reserve for now. My budget is strictly 400 notes. So my question is, what are your opinions on the best engine for this criteria;

A. Good balance of bottom and top end through all the Rev ranges

B. A trustworthy low maintenance lump

C. Excellent value for money

I've been looking at the Zenoah G320 Pro Max and Zenoah G305 long block for value for money as I have all the ancillary parts from my 26cc...

What are your thoughts for my budget and criteria guys?

G290...

The G320 is nice, but IMO, too much torque and not enough revs for a Baja, your current engine will rev higher.

I ran my G320 with a BZM on 20/54 and the torque was still silly on the bottom end, the ProMX, won't rev that much more, I've already had this discussion with Ian Harris.

You want ideally a lower CC for higher revs with a 2WD drivetrain.

From my experience and also my opinion, the G290 is just a very nice all round engine, pretty low maintenance although of course it's essential on any engine to maintain them to some degree!

Another option of course is the CY F270, but I can't see that being a major step up from what you currently have.

If you're simply wanting a bit more top end, have you tried switching to 18/56 gears?

It's surprising the little changes you can make to one of those screamer 26's.

Mine flies!

G290...

The G320 is nice, but IMO, too much torque and not enough revs for a Baja, your current engine will rev higher.

I ran my G320 with a BZM on 20/54 and the torque was still silly on the bottom end, the ProMX, won't rev that much more, I've already had this discussion with Ian Harris.

You want ideally a lower CC for higher revs with a 2WD drivetrain.

From my experience and also my opinion, the G290 is just a very nice all round engine, pretty low maintenance although of course it's essential on any engine to maintain them to some degree!

Another option of course is the CY F270, but I can't see that being a major step up from what you currently have.

If you're simply wanting a bit more top end, have you tried switching to 18/56 gears?

It's surprising the little changes you can make to one of those screamer 26's.

Mine flies!

Is your g290 the Pro MX? I've had 56/18 the last week and I do like the difference it's made. I'm well impressed with the 26 to be fair and I can't see me ever getting rid of it, I'm just ready to experiment now :) I have a modded slipper clutch so maybe i could control some of the G320 silly torque to good use?

No it's stock and yes it's not hard to control it simply by being good on the throttle.

The main point of that was they just don't rev, so unless you go for a very high end clutch system with silly tall gearing, a G320 is going to be no faster than your current engine.

I can say that because I have done side by side comparisons of both :P

Hence why I sold my G320, it simply wasn't what was required.

Just note that properly tuned engines need cool down periods also, every 10-15 minutes of running, they also need maintaining more, so if ease of use is what you're aiming for, I'd opt for stock over tuned.

• Like 1

No it's stock and yes it's not hard to control it simply by being good on the throttle.

The main point of that was they just don't rev, so unless you go for a very high end clutch system with silly tall gearing, a G320 is going to be no faster than your current engine.

I can say that because I have done side by side comparisons of both [emoji14]

Hence why I sold my G320, it simply wasn't what was required.

Just note that properly tuned engines need cool down periods also, every 10-15 minutes of running, they also need maintaining more, so if ease of use is what you're aiming for, I'd opt for stock over tuned.

So what gearing do you use with your g290? What's the tallest gearing you could go before it effects bottom end too much?

I've run mine on 19/55 but I just run 17/57 now, I was sick of ruining Hostile spurs, so sticking with KM, they don't seem to go all that often, unfortunately theirs quite a few ninja pot holes where I run, so throttle on 'landings' aren't something you can always grab, therefore spurs are always going to be eaten.

But I just run 17/57 on both my Bajas now and really the difference isn't huge, the 29 definitely has more get up and go.

You could very comfortably run it on 18/56 and it will be quicker all round than the 26.

Bare in mind my 26 is pretty light and my 29 is a heavy old girl with many many strength upgrades which add to the weight.

It's at very minimum 1.5kg heavier than my 29.

I've run mine on 19/55 but I just run 17/57 now, I was sick of ruining Hostile spurs, so sticking with KM, they don't seem to go all that often, unfortunately theirs quite a few ninja pot holes where I run, so throttle on 'landings' aren't something you can always grab, therefore spurs are always going to be eaten.

But I just run 17/57 on both my Bajas now and really the difference isn't huge, the 29 definitely has more get up and go.

You could very comfortably run it on 18/56 and it will be quicker all round than the 26.

Bare in mind my 26 is pretty light and my 29 is a heavy old girl with many many strength upgrades which add to the weight.

It's at very minimum 1.5kg heavier than my 29.

Have you considered using the Power Control Slipper Clutch? It would be ideal for the rutted terrain you bash on, taking all the shock load away from your spur teeth and also the rest of your drive train. I've had mine a month or so now and completely happy with it doing its job. I've also modded it using Biscuits mod method (from Baja UK forum) so I can use lighter taller Hostile gears without the risk of stripping them. The added weight isn't noticeable either (especially if you use a titanium layshaft as well), i can still wheelspin for fun :) it strictly only kicks in when there's a sudden shock load when spinning wheels touch down on the ground.

Do you have any experience (observing others) of the 30.5 Pro MX? I'm thinking the long block could be great value for money

Edited by coolas4k

I kind of have and haven't... Once over I wouldn't have even considered it, because I was using stock spurs for 6+ months but now I do seem to be running through them a little bit quick, so it's certainly something I've pondered.

Although lately I've been thinking about breaking the HPI, keeping bits I want, advertising bits I don't, but with the way stuff is selling at the moment, maybe I won't :lol:

I haven't got any experience with it at all no so couldn't say, but again keep in mind properly tuned engines when bashing need cool down periods.

I ran the ProMX 30.5cc in my Losi 5ive and it was a brilliant engine, lots of torque, lots of revs, lots of power!  I ran it initially with a DDM Dom pipe but when I put it with the BZM Micro Pipe the party started..  The whole range of power and delivery was epic, it would outrun and perform quite a lot, top end was awesome.

It defo needs the right pipe to go with it though.

I've had the 26,29 and now the 32 in my Baja and the 32 with Vrc bigbore is the best of them all.

What gearing are you using mate? Is it the pro MX version or standard?

Does he have a thread with a review on it? I'm intrigued... But wary as well but that's probably because I don't know anything about it and haven't heard them mentioned before

He doesn't have a review but I've spoken to him about it and he said it's going strong and runs great.

Theirs a few lads on one of the Facebook Baja groups who run them too.

Oh ok. Any idea how many hours/ tanks he's had out of it so far? I'll try and contact him directly if I can get hold of him...

one of the guys i bash with runs an SCZ, great fast power plant and it's been running for a few months now (maybe longer).  He got it from one of the major german rc sites, forget which one now.

EDIT: it was from rc-car-online.de

Edited by andyknight
  • Like 1

I ran the ProMX 30.5cc in my Losi 5ive and it was a brilliant engine, lots of torque, lots of revs, lots of power!  I ran it initially with a DDM Dom pipe but when I put it with the BZM Micro Pipe the party started..  The whole range of power and delivery was epic, it would outrun and perform quite a lot, top end was awesome.

It defo needs the right pipe to go with it though.

so what pipe would you run on a 5b ,G320 pro mx ?,,  currently using a dom V2 but sure theres is better to get more out of the engine

So after much deliberation and a collection of sterling advice from all you guys on here (much appreciated, thank you), other forums, general Internet research and from Ian at MMR I've decided on the Zen G320 coupled with a BZM Micro side pipe [emoji4] I was also very close to deciding on either the SCZ Reed or G295 Pro Race but the reliability factor and further tuning potential of the G320 just edged it for me but only by a cats whisker really... I'll update this thread with my thoughts on it after its installed and warmed through though for anyone who's interested.

Thanks again for all your advice and info though guys, it's invaluable! [emoji106] [emoji2]

So after much deliberation and a collection of sterling advice from all you guys on here (much appreciated, thank you), other forums, general Internet research and from Ian at MMR I've decided on the Zen G320 coupled with a BZM Micro side pipe [emoji4] I was also very close to deciding on either the SCZ Reed or G295 Pro Race but the reliability factor and further tuning potential of the G320 just edged it for me but only by a cats whisker really... I'll update this thread with my thoughts on it after its installed and warmed through though for anyone who's interested.

Thanks again for all your advice and info though guys, it's invaluable! [emoji106] [emoji2]

Just finished breaking the same engine in with a Dom v2 , looking to get a better pipe so let us know how you get on with this combo
  • Like 1

Just finished breaking the same engine in with a Dom v2 , looking to get a better pipe so let us know how you get on with this combo

Will do. May not be for a couple of weeks though as I've decided to go for the PRO MX instead today (luckily managed to change the order before the stock one was sent out) but Scott Finlay (the porting magician) is waiting on a repair to his lathe machine that he uses to port these engines and therefore I'm in a queue now with other prospective Pro MX'ers