• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The worlds smallest nitro car?

.AJ.

A cox or a pico engine. we used to have those little things installed in small hand launch airplane gliders.

with a handlebar control line, control line racers. 

they are a set speed you start the motor and it revs up , it only stops when the fuel has run out,

20-40s runs usually or longer in control line craft. point was to get the craft high as possible in a short time then coast back down in a gliding

turn .

seen this a few times on my youtube stints

That little engine brings back a lot of memories for me. I had a Keil Kraft Cessna control line plane with one of them in it, get it started and it would rev its little heart out.

He says on his You Tube page that it has 2 manual gears.

@Sean I had a couple of Colt 16 if you could get them to rev they would fall to pieces.

• Like 1

I had several Cox .049 (they called it the TeeDee) and clones as well as the PeeWee, which I think was .020cu in (tenth the size of a .19). Still have a couple of the .049s throwing around - one still in a plastic control line biplane.

I suspect the one in the car is running a bit rich to give it a bit more torque to get it moving off - they were intended for aircraft use where the small prop had lots of "slip", although I seem to remember that Cox did have a go at a free running RTR car, but it wasn't very successful. They would rev, if you used Cox's 30% nitro fuel which was very expensive. In those days, the only glow fuels generally available were Keil Kraft Methanex (no nitro) and Nitrex 15, which had 15% of some nitro substitute and only equivalent to about 7.5% pure nitro. If I remember rightly, Nitrex 15 was about 3 shillings and ninepence (about 19p) a pint, whereas the Cox 30 (30% pure nitro) was about 6 shillings (30p) for half an American pint - and that was a lot of money in about 1960 - for example 20 top brand cigs were under 4 shillings then.

lol we used to get a gallon for a pound ten in petrol back in the days. 

was no fancy roto starts , it was called a finger with an old marigold glove finger to help bite the props,

then came the spring start nitro motors, wind em back pop on the glow ignition (these days it was a 12v battery on a powerpanel)

big change from the peewees and cox and they started to come with carbs you could adjust lol. 

over time you became an expert prop flicker ( think of trying to start your nitro car with just your finger flicking the flywheel )

if you did not you wore leather gloves so as not to trip to the local doc for a bombay jab

Did anyone ever let go of the line

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yeah I remember the first time I tried it I had the lines to short which meant I was spinning at a great rate, got dizzy and let go. They would not go far if you let go.

Yeah I remember the first time I tried it I had the lines to short which meant I was spinning at a great rate, got dizzy and let go. They would not go far if you let go.

I remember when I was a kid I had an airplane real simple just pump with air spin the propeller and throw it like you would a paper airplane never did see it again lol

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Thats neat!

I have a cox gasser uses 0.49 engine(never ran it shelf queen)

For me the best micro nitro is Xray nt18t an lrp s18bx

We had two of these engines 30 years ago... My dad built a lovely twin engined mosquito to put them on. No radio, just free flight...

On the maiden powered flight one engine would not start... He flew it anyway..crashed and broke it. Turns out he had put the fuel valve the wrong way round in one engine so it would never start. Rebuilt it was fine.

Had loads of fun with them. We built two swamp boats out of balsa with the engines at the back. Let them go free on the local pond.

Love to have one again. Radio gear is so much cheaper. A stearable swamp boat would be easy. Basically a sheet of balsa with some sides and add paint