• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

KM Dark Knight 30.5 Baja is it worth?

Oxus

Hello. I'm new to Large Scale Petrol buggys but I have come experience with other ones. 

I'm looking for my first petrol one and as I read on this forum buying HPI Baja 5b from ebay is like minefield and I saw that most of You recommend KM Baja's. Is it worth considering as a first petrol car? 
What would I have to upgrade in it? My first purchase would be failsafe cuz some 30f off are better than 600f off on your next bank statement. 

http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rc-cars/1-5th-scale-petrol-cars/km-dark-knight-30-5-baja-buggy.html

Cheers for Help. 

Sorry for this failsafe, I had little bit of time with helis. 

To aluminium suspension arms if they bend, nylon will just brake :/ or I'm wrong there.

I will make a little trip to Rcmodelz cuz I'm only 4 miles from them. I will try to have a look on Dark Knight and also 2.0 EX 26cc. I think they are worth considering. I want something for bashing in local parks and maybe for little trips near sea to throw some sand in the air. 

Sorry for this failsafe, I had little bit of time with helis. 

To aluminium suspension arms if they bend, nylon will just brake :/ or I'm wrong there.

I will make a little trip to Rcmodelz cuz I'm only 4 miles from them. I will try to have a look on Dark Knight and also 2.0 EX 26cc. I think they are worth considering. I want something for bashing in local parks and maybe for little trips near sea to throw some sand in the air. 

Plastic is the best for bashing as it acts as a weak point in a big crash, would you sooner replace a

• Like 1

002c 30.5cc is out of stock. It's for 449f with most plastic/nylon parts. 

2.0 EX 26cc is for 498f with lots of alloy parts. What about his 26cc CY engine? Is it better/worst than 30.5cc? 

Dark Knight 30.5 almost full alloy is for 549f. 

Can you help me with decision? For first weeks I would drive on parkings and maybe some park. According to upgrade list the Dark Knight beat other 2. 

Do you know if someone from Rcmodelz would show me their little test drive if I would visit them? 

• Like 1

002c 30.5cc is out of stock. It's for 449f with most plastic/nylon parts. 

2.0 EX 26cc is for 498f with lots of alloy parts. What about his 26cc CY engine? Is it better/worst than 30.5cc? 

Dark Knight 30.5 almost full alloy is for 549f. 

Can you help me with decision? For first weeks I would drive on parkings and maybe some park. According to upgrade list the Dark Knight beat other 2. 

Do you know if someone from Rcmodelz would show me their little test drive if I would visit them? 

Don't go for an aluminium version, you've asked for advice and people have told you to go for plastic and yet you have ignored the advice you've asked for and been given.

Get the KM002A and move from there.

Don't go for an aluminium version, you've asked for advice and people have told you to go for plastic and yet you have ignored the advice you've asked for and been given.

Get the KM002A and move from there.

In your first message You have recommend 2.0 EX 26cc SILVER 

Edited by Oxus

I have the KM002C and jump the hell out of it.... not a single issue.

Aluminium is nice but useless for a buggy.

Get the KM002A and spend the rest on upgrades the buggy needs like better servo's.

A kill switch is also adds

• Like 1

For sure the 002c if your thinking of getting a km dude, iv rung the kneck off mine again today and its still going, iv got all the confidence in the world that ill be stripping this engine down to replace the bearings and re ring it at this rate, not because it's blown up simply down to wear and tear,

its been going really well mate i can't folt it at at, i did all the running it in the way i know to and its always kept my engines going,

iv gone onto rock oil 2 stroke high performance moto cross oil, dam good stuff and i swear by it ;) don't go putting some garden s trimmer oil in it kidda it'll not last 2 minutes,

i wouldn't worry about upgrades pal because as a new comer to 5th scale you'll be replacing parts on a regular basis so there's going to be ample opportunities to replace with a upgrades as you go,

just get used to the 5th scale its self when you get what it is your looking at, get used to the power and handling, its a rear wheel drive kid they take some getting round a corner when you don't no how lol! You'll get the hang of it soon enough lol!

but ye if i was you ask john on here from rc modelz he's somewhere :) when the 002c is back in and get one of them pal, but that's my opinion so its entirely in your hands now really but the MSUK forum is here just about 24/7 pal so im sure your not in your own, I can promise you that ;)

I've ragged my 002c around and broken 3 front arms, 1 rear hub carrier and a bulkhead twice. A smash is always going to happen when bashing. Something has to give way mate and if my arms were alloy I'd be pretty screwed.

Personally I'd wait for the 002c. Its well worth it. In my opinion its the best of all KM baja models.

I upgraded the bulkhead to alloy and find it to be excellent. My thoughts on the bulkhead being alloy was that the strength was in the right place and if I have a bad crash the nylon will give way. Which is exactly what has happened.

The thing is, whether you get nylon or alloy, parts will break and that's that.... So its break an expensive alloy part which could bend more parts or let the nylon take the hit.

Alloy is for bling, plastic is for bashing :)

Edit - Add more money on you purchase for a set of hostile tyres...... Rather spend less now and upgrade the right parts :)

Edited by Gazlam
  • Like 1

And some Silverback beadlocks to fit them hostiles, iv not tryed fitting standed beadlocks over hostiles, do they keep um on?

ive got standard beadlocks and running hostiles front / rear, but they have had the 'nut & bolt' mod done......no issues........yet :whistling:

I always think there a bit wavy, there a bit to soft the standed ones, i didn't mean you couldn't run the standed ones, the Silverback beadlocks will firm the wheel up aswell, the outer ones are really thick and fit on the hostiles great ;)

Ok guys. Now I understand the lesson :D I will get 002c as soon as it will be on stock (2 weeks ;(  ) 

Can you help me with preparing a list of upgrades that I should buy on start?

I see that I would need: Alloy Shock Towers F&R, Bulkhead and probably more but I have no idea what. If you can please just write it down there. 

I always think there a bit wavy, there a bit to soft the standed ones, i didn't mean you couldn't run the standed ones, the Silverback beadlocks will firm the wheel up aswell, the outer ones are really thick and fit on the hostiles great ;)

ignore what i said lol...... i have abit of a mucky mixture.  A closer look i have standard 'star' hpi rims, with beadlocks off pro line desperados....then add on the nut and bolt mod :thumbsup:

Ok guys. Now I understand the lesson :D I will get 002c as soon as it will be on stock (2 weeks ;(  ) 

Can you help me with preparing a list of upgrades that I should buy on start?

I see that I would need: Alloy Shock Towers F&R, Bulkhead and probably more but I have no idea what. If you can please just write it down there. 

just replace or upgrade when broken, i have a baja sat here with probably

Edited by Scoobie007