• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HoBao 1/8 Hyper MTe Sport

mydoddy69

So after waiting a week and a half for wheelspin and CML to sort there act out i finally got hold of my new spur !!! i didnt go with a stock one i went with a upgraded CNC cut one from Hobao 

Part number on the  bag  for those that may want it 

DSC00111_zpsfwz4lef0.jpg

So it went from this :(

DSC00099_zpssavgrr66.jpg

To this :)

DSC00105_zpsgsrxdiyx.jpg

While i had the box out a smeared some of this stuff on the gear internals 

DSC00108_zpslefulir2.jpg

There's no slipper in there so its not going to do any harm and metal on metal needs some lube surely .. 

• 4 weeks later...

So whats been happening this passed month?? well not a lot to be fair other than beating the snot out of it  :yes: ..

Swapped out the stock rubber for my mashers 

DSC00152_zpsimvzc2nk.jpg

Fixed the wheelie bar it used to have a bolt either side that screwed into the wheel but one side would always strip out so i used some m4 allthread and a couple of nuts and washers ..The simple fixes are always the best  :thumbsup: 

DSC00153_zpsvesw8yuz.jpg

Which then leads me into yep you guessed new shock springs 

DSC00151_zpsx8sxcjqb.jpg

Now these where dirt cheap from Hobbyking and are for the nitro circus but surprisingly work quite well ..

next up nothing fancy swapped out the rear lower links to the upper ones as i bent the lower but this should stop that happening agian 

DSC00154_zps5dwltvyp.jpg

Last but not least i have been trying out the traxxas 2200kv motor so far so good temps hitting 120f on 6s so plenty of room to go up from the 18t pinion  :thumbsup:

DSC00149_zpstuexasit.jpg

DSC00150_zpscqiuhge3.jpg

Thing is is this so quick on the 18t on 6s i really dont need or want anymore speed or power for that matter its now become a little mental  :yes: ..

All in all i'm absolutely loving this truck  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

They'd also pass as sand paddles!

You gotta love a set of mashers on a monster truck  :thumbsup:  i hope they perform like sand paddles as ill be doing some nice aquaplaning come the winter over a few large puddles  :yes:

So would you consider this now to be a sturdy basher and worth buying as a roller, accepting minor modifications will be required?

Edited by Noj

So would you consider this now to be a sturdy basher and worth buying as a roller, accepting minor modifications will be required?

Yes fella it needs a couple of tweaks but other than that its brilliant !!.. oh mind you the brace is that a minor modification ?? 

Considering i went from 4s (fall asleep mode) to 5s (wake up mode) to now mainly running 6s (bonkers mode) its a good basher IMO. 

I have had a good 40 packs throw it if not more  and reported all my breakages and you guys have seen my driving well not all but some so what would you say ?? .

Power gets delivered to all four corners nicely balanced, takes a beating, drivetrain holds up well other than the spur which shattered but that may be just bad luck on my part and where i was driving, cvds and dog bones have got slight bends but nothing that causes trouble and nothing im going to bother fixing..axles and cups are all fine and no signs of wear. Diffs are rock solid, arms are rock solid, towers hmm they may have moved a tad but all the roof landings a can live with that, when a say moved that's just a fraction of forward backward leaning so the body holes are tight thats all .. links well those i did replace but only the lower weaker 4mm ones although the fronts are still 4mm just longer ..shocks never once sipped any oil or broke or bent a shaft or eyelet rear springs are a bit weak but now sorted .. hubs and knuckles are all fine still other than the slop at the start which is now sorted enough for my liking.. bearings are still all the same and none are damaged or running rough last a checked.. body mounts are fine other than the front becoming worn from roof landings ..shell i did need to go in and reinforce the mounting holes but other than that its all good .. battery trays are fine no troubles there roll cage that needed a tweak but only minor where it mounts, bumpers are all good, tyres are fine for both off and on road but i just prefer the mashers .. As for electrics they were my own choice so im not going to comment on them other than i love the set up in it now !. so will it hold up over winter well will just have to wait and see  :thumbsup:

Holy cow that was long sorry  :shockingscary:

A good summary of your time with the MT. :)

OK, the brace isn't a quick mod to make, turned the truck from a failure to a success though....

Wonder if those previously hesitant will take the plunge now....?

Certainly helped to push me in a positive direction, so much appreciated :thumbsup:

Enjoying Truggies very much atm, so will prob hold out a little longer unless a clean and reasonably priced used roller came up.  Annoyingly a guy very local to me sold his after a week as he didn't like it...alas was dirty nitro though and I didn't have the motivation to look at converting, bar the motor mount seemed pretty expensive as a spare part (looked into it for a project a few months back as I liked the rear clamp.)

• 1 month later...

how would you compare this truck to the mt4 g3 mate?

Personally I rate it better than the mt4 G3

This to me is more like what a monster truck should be where as the mt4 is more like a truggy .. Basically this has no centre diff unlike the the MT4 ..

Both need a few tweaks and both need a brace but this needs less work IMO to be a great basher .. If I was to buy one or the other then this would be my choice out of the 2 ..

Personally I rate it better than the mt4 G3

This to me is more like what a monster truck should be where as the mt4 is more like a truggy .. Basically this has no centre diff unlike the the MT4 ..

Both need a few tweaks and both need a brace but this needs less work IMO to be a great basher .. If I was to buy one or the other then this would be my choice out of the 2 ..

What sort of price are these rich?

quick question on these trucks , does anybody now make a chassis brace ?..

As far as I know there is no direct bolt on peice but you can use the motor plate supports and just add a plate ;) would require you to drill a couple of holes .

If this is not your thing you can always ask Bez on here or banners to make you one failing that I can make you one like mine so there is plenty of options available

ok rich thanks for the reply , yes im ok with a drill , but dont tell the misses lol , been looking for something leccy and reading your build thread and watching the vids has pushed me towards this model , like i could add my own running gear and have a bash a spraying a shell , not sprayed a shell before but have sprayed other things .

Dave..

Edited by WiLLiE

You won't be disappointed with either but for me I like this MTe better ;)

Both will need a few tweaks both will break at some point and both are a lot of fun, in flight air control the mt4 is slightly better as it has a centre diff if this is a factor for you .