• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D Printing Discussion

-BEZ-

Yes have the glass plate and have it all up to temp before levelling. I've been using squares. 5 lines thick, as big as the bed , with smaller squares leading to a 30x30 square in the middle.... Which never prints as the beds so close at that point that the extruder clicks and nothing can get out the nozzle lol

On 15/02/2016 at 3:01 PM, Hyper-d said:

Thinking of buying this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/201166286056 

purely for the ally plate

Link doesn't work.

Turn the glass upside down, if it still does it the same, it's not the bed.

After it struggling with the first layer(s), does it eventually print?

A raft would be a temporary solution.

Flipped the bed and the glass still too high in the middle

As I said anything bigger than a cube warps.... And that's with a brim lol

Brim is a very fine sheet like layer thats squished down onto the surface, then object is printed onto this. 

raft is a different kettle of fish, its a zigzag lined weave in two layers. its used to hold obejcts down with minimal space usuage. ( brims take more space than rafts and brims also hold more heat) the weave layer on a fraft also helps cooling and warping.

heres a trick for leveling problems.

first of start the printer and heat that bed upto around 80-90 c we want that bed at working temp while we do this, hit bed leveling and let it seek the first spot, the nozzle will drop down and your told to check the high.
stop right here and now cancel the print level. leave the nozzle where it is DO NOT move it up or down and DO not sent it back to home.

so now we have the nozzle at the best hight were gonna use the jog function to move the nozzle around the table, look for the four screw heads that are holding the alloy plate down (four point adjustemt) jog the nozzle so its close to these screw heads BUT NOT OVER THEM !!!! . at each screw head position check nozzle hight and adjust that side so your nozzles snugg and the paper-feeler gauge just slides under ............ ok so we done that ? if the answer is yes thats great. Now i want you to use the jog function still and put the nozzle roughly middle of the table, have a check with paper or feeler gauge you should notice the center is a lot more closer than using the bed level code, very very lightly tweek each screw adjuster so the paper-feeler just about slides under, and LEAVE PAPER UNDER NOZZLE........

Now without moving the nozzle or the paper send the print head to home, the bed hight will stay the same and the nozzle will hone into its park position notice it drags the paper with it ( the paper is there to help protect the nozzle if it gets a tad to close.) 
leaving the bed heating on, load up a very small print job or load up a brim only print, and start the machine to print. bed will drop or the nozzle will raise and do its thang.
you should find a much more finer tollerance doing a bed level this way, yes it takes longer but its more refined .

Hints, always run bed heat up and run your leveling when bed is still heated do not let it cool down . when the bed cools the alloy shrinks back and the leveling for that session is undone. metal expands and contracts under heating so you want it to expand enough thats why we pre heat first and keep the bed on pre heat when leveling.

alloy plates are NOT FLAT, they are a plate thats been cut from a big sheet. the only way to get a true flat plate is milling it from a solid block of alloy and thats a huge cost but it gives you the most level upper surface one could get ie a milled plate. whats happening is this, the plate is held down by those three or four mounting points but there is NO screw holding the center of the plate down as it heats up the center raises up and warps a tad ( its something that just happens and i had huge problems with myself as with having plastic bed arms to the warp was over exssesive )

On 17 February 2016 at 11:52 AM, Tamiyacowboy said:

Brim is a very fine sheet like layer thats squished down onto the surface, then object is printed onto this. 

raft is a different kettle of fish, its a zigzag lined weave in two layers. its used to hold obejcts down with minimal space usuage. ( brims take more space than rafts and brims also hold more heat) the weave layer on a fraft also helps cooling and warping.

heres a trick for leveling problems.

first of start the printer and heat that bed upto around 80-90 c we want that bed at working temp while we do this, hit bed leveling and let it seek the first spot, the nozzle will drop down and your told to check the high.
stop right here and now cancel the print level. leave the nozzle where it is DO NOT move it up or down and DO not sent it back to home.

so now we have the nozzle at the best hight were gonna use the jog function to move the nozzle around the table, look for the four screw heads that are holding the alloy plate down (four point adjustemt) jog the nozzle so its close to these screw heads BUT NOT OVER THEM !!!! . at each screw head position check nozzle hight and adjust that side so your nozzles snugg and the paper-feeler gauge just slides under ............ ok so we done that ? if the answer is yes thats great. Now i want you to use the jog function still and put the nozzle roughly middle of the table, have a check with paper or feeler gauge you should notice the center is a lot more closer than using the bed level code, very very lightly tweek each screw adjuster so the paper-feeler just about slides under, and LEAVE PAPER UNDER NOZZLE........

Now without moving the nozzle or the paper send the print head to home, the bed hight will stay the same and the nozzle will hone into its park position notice it drags the paper with it ( the paper is there to help protect the nozzle if it gets a tad to close.) 
leaving the bed heating on, load up a very small print job or load up a brim only print, and start the machine to print. bed will drop or the nozzle will raise and do its thang.
you should find a much more finer tollerance doing a bed level this way, yes it takes longer but its more refined .

Hints, always run bed heat up and run your leveling when bed is still heated do not let it cool down . when the bed cools the alloy shrinks back and the leveling for that session is undone. metal expands and contracts under heating so you want it to expand enough thats why we pre heat first and keep the bed on pre heat when leveling.

alloy plates are NOT FLAT, they are a plate thats been cut from a big sheet. the only way to get a true flat plate is milling it from a solid block of alloy and thats a huge cost but it gives you the most level upper surface one could get ie a milled plate. whats happening is this, the plate is held down by those three or four mounting points but there is NO screw holding the center of the plate down as it heats up the center raises up and warps a tad ( its something that just happens and i had huge problems with myself as with having plastic bed arms to the warp was over exssesive )

Even a cnc'd plate will bow under the same temps but not as much as an alloy sheet metal plate (the surface stresses are removed by the milling operation)

you can spot weld a bolt to the centre of the plate to support the plate that way also.

On 17/02/2016 at 11:05 AM, Hyper-d said:

Flipped the bed and the glass still too high in the middle

As I said anything bigger than a cube warps.... And that's with a brim lol

The bed will, or should always warp the same way. Are you sure there isn't play in any of the axis?

5 minutes ago, ashleysmith said:

Whats your bed size? Could you scale the model down?

Nah, it's for a multirotor frame, need a 250 bed size. :(

2 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

The bed will, or should always warp the same way. Are you sure there isn't play in any of the axis?

Nah, it's for a multirotor frame, need a 250 bed size. :(

Mad soon as my printer is unissued I can have a bed size up to 300x400mm :D

to bad that I need to print parts to build the printer.... Oh the irony

I've had plenty of tinker time on it over the last few days and managed to print my first biggish item(5th scale beadlock) in abs with no warping :)

i still have a little extruder clicking in places but far better than what it was .

had an incident where I left it unattended, wing nuts vibrated loose, as the print warped it catched the hot end...... Came back to the glass on the floor and a ball of abs  on the bed lol

needless to say I have since thread locked the wing nuts ;) 

Depending on printers you can upgrade to a larger bed, you just use a larger sheet of glass and hogtie the mounting lol.

my old printer was 225x150x145 but i could fit a 300x250 bed plate.

in the software you can define the bed size yourself using custom settings ( dont ask me how as i never really played about with that stuff at the time as the printer ripped itself apart  lol)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey !!! been a long time since the thread has budged !! wheres every1 at ?

just got a new printer :) i wanted a delta for a long time so when i saw the kossel mini at the right price i had to get one :P

IMG_20160325_134853_zpsyaivqonx.jpg

Edited by baorevo
  • Like 1

just got a new printer :) i wanted a delta for a long time so when i saw the kossel mini at the right price i had to get one :P

Go big or go home!! I'm in the process of gathering all the bits for a 1m tall kossel with a duet powered board. I'm hoping for around a 500mm build height - I probably should have just done this in the first place but never mind ;) Have half of it and other half in the post still. 

How's it printing Baorevo? They have a serious cool factor built in.

• Like 1

Go big or go home!! I'm in the process of gathering all the bits for a 1m tall kossel with a duet powered board. I'm hoping for around a 500mm build height - I probably should have just done this in the first place but never mind ;) Have half of it and other half in the post still. 

How's it printing Baorevo? They have a serious cool factor built in.

wow thats gonne be a heck of a delta !!!! i only get 300mm hight (only :P ) 500 is huge .

Prints great and its a trip just watching it lol  , i wanted one for a while now (had to sell a drone to finance it but i still have a few left hehe)

• Like 1

Would someone be able to print me a small part? Its a small mount thats 17x11mm

{option}http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u535/112297/Capture_zpsouqd0dns.png[/IMG]

Forum is still playing up with pictures 

Its just gonna be used to hold hold a 5mm led on to the back of my car.

I've saved it as an STL file, I can email it to maybe or upload it to here.

Thanks alex

Edited by alex97

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2016 at 13:00, baorevo said:

IMG_20160325_134853_zpsyaivqonx.jpg

!!!!!!!!

I've been looking at delta printers lately!

:D

Any good points, or bad on that one? Details!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A2169850-1059-4C1D-ADE0-89787C696C45_zps

20 beadlocks = 160 hours print time :lol:

think I have a bust bed bearing too as its leaving black residue on the rod

Edited by Hyper-d
Forgot pic
  • Like 1