• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Done to death but here is mine - Savage

DannyP

Very nice. I've not posted any pics, but very nearly finished my first ever build with a similar spec. Very interested to see how yours runs, gearing, temps etc. What was the gearing 14/52?

Thanks :) Yep, 14/52. Don't you know the forum rules? Pics are a must, get some posted ;)

Hopefully I will be able to give some feedback and a vid on the weekend.

A power cap is used as a glitch buster, they store and provide small amounts of power when it is demanded by a servo if it's a little amp hungry and the ESC's BEC isn't strong enough to provide it. This demand of power causes the Rx to brown out and lose signal with the Tx temporarily in most cases.

BEC stands for battery eliminator circuit. Normally built into an ESC it provides power to the servo's, Rx etc without the need of a hump or buffer pack. Because of the heavy tyres I needed a powerful servo and the one I chose can operate at 7.4v. The ESC's BEC is only 5.5v. So to get the best out of the servo I am using a Castle BEC which has adjustable power output. Set to 7.4v I now have 35kg torque from the servo.

The ESC's BEC is now disconnected by using a servo extension cable with the red wire removed. The BEC is spliced into the ESC's input power wires.

Like this

DSC03859.jpg

It then is plugged into the Rx in a spare channel the can take a power input. So if you have a powerful or amp hungry servo or your ESC's BEC is weak an external BEC is a worthy investment.

Edited by DannyP
  • Like 1

Update:

Had the Savage out today, it's fast, jumps ok, good fun. Looks like I have to much power going to the front so I need to adjust diffs oils.

Broke it tho, front lower arm ripped through hinge pin but carried on ok. Second run was cut short by something in the driveline locking up, possibly motor or centre diff :/

Will find out later once it dries off a bit.

:rofl: It was just the motor had come a little loose and slipped down causing the mesh to go mega tight. Diffs are fine :) Will have to remove the the whole center diff assembly to get at the motor screws and set mesh. Plenty of red threadlock this time. 

Done the upper arm as well on the same side as the lower. Also bent a shock mounting screw.

Yep screws at the top, same side I broke the arms on. They are M3 tho.

Yeah M3, especially stainless (A2?) has a lowish yield strength, does seem a bit on the thin side for the top mount. M4 stainless or 12.9 HT M3 is a better bet. I've taken mine out to M4, in A4 stainless which has the higher yield strength.

2015-02-20231059_zps3338d306.jpg20150222_171849_zpscd58bb10.jpg

Edited by fornowagain

Yeah M3, especially stainless (A2?) has a lowish yield strength, does seem a bit on the thin side for the top mount. M4 stainless or 12.9 HT M3 is a better bet. I've taken mine out to M4, in A4 stainless which has the higher yield strength.

2015-02-20231059_zps3338d306.jpg

Nice mod :thumbsup: See you have changed all the screws to hex heads. I was going to do it but I couldn't be bothered to make a list. Got anymore pics of your Savage? Looks nice.

Nice mod :thumbsup: See you have changed all the screws to hex heads. I was going to do it but I couldn't be bothered to make a list. Got anymore pics of your Savage? Looks nice.

There's not that many sizes needed tbh, any special length one's I just buy longer and chop them off to size. Got loads of pics as I built it, really should make a thread for it. Still not finished though, just modding the big bore shock shafts to 5mm.

2015-02-26%2012.50.18%20Medium_zpsy0xot4

Edited by fornowagain

my motor and esc was unrepairable

Oh yeah I see in your thread, bummer! Your running now tho?

There's not that many sizes needed tbh, any special length one's I just buy longer and chop them off to size. Got loads of pics as I built it, really should make a thread for it. Still not finished though, just modding the big bore shock shafts to 5mm.

I'm lazy! :lol: Get a thread up :yes:

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2015 at 20:18, everclear1984 said:

I really like the orange, I'm a big fan of bold colours.

I love the orange, it's what happened to the black bits. Last minute decision to put white lines in using ripped up bits of masking tape. I had it all covered in liquid mask and cut out the black bits and the lines were just straight. I was backing the orange in white so I thought I would rip up some masking tape and turn the straight lines jagged and throw in some stripes. Looked terrible with no stickers on.

Quite happy with this tho :D

DSC03873.jpg

Edited by DannyP