• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Harvey Croft's Savage XL Octane Thread

HarveyC

Just go another report of a blown losi xxl-2 motor on the rc tech forum.....haven't heard of a single octane motor letting loose yet!

That because they are a nightmare to get to run !!

Sorry only messing

Have to say thou these 1/8th petrol trucks seem to be a complete nightmare and continually breaking both the losi and the HPI are coming across as a very poor buy IMO

More bad luck for me....slight oild leak, pulled it apart, huge crack on the exhaust manifold....NOT HAPPY..

You have to have the worst luck ever with yours, ever heard the older saying your fogging a dead horse ??! .

From what I'v been reading, And from you boys here, This sounds like a perfect case of something not being "Fit For Purpose" , With anything else you would have been well within your rights to take it back and get a full refund, But this being the hobby it is, They will probably try and hide behind the "Nature Of The Hobby" line that is used on eBay.

But I really would get in touch with someone and get something sorted, Or at least give Citizens Advise a call, If it was only a couple of hundred quid, Then I would take it on the chin and a lesson learn to not jump in to soon with a new project, But this is 700 quid, That is serious money were talking about, I wouldn't be best please if it was me, I could possibly be crying by now knowing another 75 quid gets a bullet proof Losi Desert Buggy.   

I have to say BABYLON...i am really starting to question myself about this truck. I thought new truck, maybe a few teething problems. But my problems have been as follows:

broken timing sensor

broken throttle servo

broken exhaust manifold

aerial pipe/tube broken from from battery box

So not sure if you would call this bad luck or just a bad product!! In saying that if i didnt have any of these problems the truck does put a smile on my face, bust that is now becoming few & far between laughs!!

• Like 1

I have to say BABYLON...i am really starting to question myself about this truck. I thought new truck, maybe a few teething problems. But my problems have been as follows:

broken timing sensor

broken throttle servo

broken exhaust manifold

aerial pipe/tube broken from from battery box

So not sure if you would call this bad luck or just a bad product!! In saying that if i didnt have any of these problems the truck does put a smile on my face, bust that is now becoming few & far between laughs!!

My feelings completely I want to like this truck I have constantly defended it BUT in truth it is a complete waste of space.

• Like 1

Ian, I remember when I jumped on this thread, I was a bit upset and angry..but you guys helped me in regards to that. So I guess maybe I can help you. Lets give this truck a go.....teething problems yes...HPI's fault maybe...I guess they didn't know how it was going to perform out in the real world.

We all drive the truck differently, adjust the carb differently, accelerate aggressively stop hard....so its hard to pin point if the problem is us or the product.

So I willing to give it another go, once mine is back full repaired, and see how we go....I guess I am seeing the good, instead of the bad. Good luck with yours to get it running.

I have a spare CDI if you need one, and a spare timing sensor....lol I think I have all the spare parts..

• Like 1

Thanks for that Mate I have ordered a complete sensor/cdi unit from the States it was quite a reasonable price.

I don`t intend giving up on the Octane `cause when it is running it is the best fun I have had with a RC car.

I will stick with it. :thumbsup: 

I guess they didn't know how it was going to perform out in the real world.

Is it not there job to know this, One of the defences put up by people in the Baja clone wars is that Hpi bid all the R&D, So what happened here.

Let's be fair, The truck is a Savage, A pretty tried and tested chassis, It's been tested for years on the market and is as solid as they come, The thing that is new, And the thing you are paying the money for, And it's a lot of money, Is the engine, This is the thing that should have had all the testing.

I tip my hat to you for being so positive, Saying "It's the best fun I have had with an RC car, When it's running", Really is looking on the bright side.

I want to ask a question that I know I asked once before somewhere, What is the point of this engine, I, And I guess many others thought the idea was to give us the toughness of a 1/8 truck, With the cheap fuel, And easy tuning you normaly get with petrol large scale, And it can't do one of it's main selling points, Until they sort this engine out, This truck is pointless. 

FYI, I've ordered from these guys before! http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/hpi/savage-xl-octane.html?utm_source=EmailzDirect&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Subscriber%2343696&utm_campaign=14-08-30_NewProduct

Btw, that's a company that breaks new models for cheap parts. Even after the postage from the UK it's mega cheap

• Like 1

FYI, I've ordered from these guys before! http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/hpi/savage-xl-octane.html?utm_source=EmailzDirect&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Subscriber%2343696&utm_campaign=14-08-30_NewProduct

Btw, that's a company that breaks new models for cheap parts. Even after the postage from the UK it's mega cheap

Yeah just got some spares for the Octane from them but got hit with customs but good quick service.

Yeah just got some spares for the Octane from them but got hit with customs but good quick service.

I got but the very first time by customs a couple weeks back, but from HK, always careful with order value from USA, anything under $50 I've found gets through as it's not worth the time doing it for anything less I think. Others have found that too

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, im having the same steering interference with my octane can someone please post a pic of inside there servo box so i can see how people have bundled up there wires or how they have wrapped them in aluminium tape. Would be very helpful thankyou james

• 1 year later...

THREAD REVIVAL.......  Anyone still have an Octane?  Haven't run mine in a few months, but it's still in the fleet.  Best mod I did was the HPI muffler adapter to put the stock baja muffler on the truck.  I really didn't notice much difference in performance, and it just makes the truck a little more tolerable.  It's quiet enough that I can run it around the house and in the yard now, while the stock pipe was way too loud.

Wow I had forgoten this thread (nearly) yeah still got my 2 just updated one of the exhaust to the LRP one they both run quite well but owing to ill health and weather I have not been out with them much but hopefully make up for it this year.

I am so so glad I dint buy one of these....:topbanana:...and I was so close on more than one occasion hitting the buy it now/accepting the offer..:yes:....if they could put the Baja engine in it it would b such a awesome truck imo.....87% of what I seen /read was bad news......problem after problem....:yes:

Thought about doing that many times ... but never got tempted by the Octane. Too pricey...too fussy...and offered nothing a stock Savage didn;t already except novelty. Shame really. If they could have made it run well without massive tuning issues....it could have been something.

Maybe I will do a petrol Savage sometime. Just needs to have custom chassis plates made up to let the engine sit right....and then adapt the drive. Just never got a drive layout I felt was easy enough to build and would have been robust enough.

You know it seems that I am always defending this truck and everybody seems to think that just because there `aint many owners on this forum that they `aint sold many. Well LRP/Mielke have just introduced a new exhaust specificly for the Octane, Iam sure they would not set up thier tooling to produce  something they were not  confident in selling a few thousand.

I managed to get one from a someone who got it in france not had time to do much testiing yet but certainly quieter than standard.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/211793-a-new-exhaust-for-octane/#comment-2217039

I'm  sure  enuff  have been sold world wide but i jus see mostly  problem  vids of them. ...Yeah sum vids r good news ones but not many. ...maybe  they'll  iron out  the issues. ..eventually :yes:.... i almost  bought  a octane from France last year 

somehow I missed the introduction of the LRP pipe.  It's out of stock everywhere here in the United States.  Pretty steep price tag too.  Any youtube videos?  I can't seem to find any, but most of them aren't in English.

16 minutes ago, bigtim1985 said:

somehow I missed the introduction of the LRP pipe.  It's out of stock everywhere here in the United States.  Pretty steep price tag too.  Any youtube videos?  I can't seem to find any, but most of them aren't in English.

I have only seen youtube videos of fitting them. As you say they are out of stock at most places and seem to be very expensive I got mine 2nd hand but little used from ebay I paid £40 for it good batgain. Have a look around on some German sites I have seen them quite cheap but out of stock. Also in the States I would try Omni models and Tower hobbies both showing as arriiving soon.

7 hours ago, Ian w said:

You know it seems that I am always defending this truck and everybody seems to think that just because there `aint many owners on this forum that they `aint sold many. Well LRP/Mielke have just introduced a new exhaust specificly for the Octane, Iam sure they would not set up thier tooling to produce  something they were not  confident in selling a few thousand.

I managed to get one from a someone who got it in france not had time to do much testiing yet but certainly quieter than standard.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/211793-a-new-exhaust-for-octane/#comment-2217039

Got any vids of yours running?