• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th brushless speedo

onroad_mania

Castle-Sidewinder-8th.jpg

Castle Creations introduce the Sidewinder 8th sensorless brushless speed controller. Announced as a 90A "Sport" offering the speedo features a strong 5.5V BEC with 4.5 to 8A output current, it is programmable using the Castle Link USB adapter and sports large 6.5mm bullet type connectors for the motor. Measuring roughly 62x56x34mm and weighting in at 100g the speedo comes including Castle Creation's 1515B-2200kv brushless motor.

Link: Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th brushless speedo

Source : Area52

I don't understand why their R&D is moving backwards.

There is no way a 90A ESC is enough to put up with the abuse a 1/8 scale buggy gets bashing. I presume this will be aimed at the market of 1/10 SC trucks that are converted into Ultra lightweight 1/8 Buggies. 

could this not be more suited to the 1/10th - 1/8th conversions i'm seeing alot in some places of the world?

i would assume they are a bit lighter than a nitro converted 1/8th and hence not need so many amps?

I would assume though that this might be a little more.. budget orientated than perhaps the Monster stuff is?

Also, i sometimes wonder how many amps are actually needed. I ran an 80 amp system in my buggy, it's approaching it's second year now. Never run past 50 degrees, brisk, if not quick. Just geared it conservatively. 

Back when i was first starting 1/8th e stuff, i had the fusion 550 motor and 140 amp esc, which had an amp logger in the actual esc. Apart from being a neat trick, i never saw above 100 amps on it, and i geared that thing so high i cooked the motor. 

At the mo, i'm intrigued.

If it's aimed at buggys, 90 probably is enough.

My HW 150 Amp Pro coped with a Baja. My MTs have had Amp readings taken and they only topped out at 120-130 amps.

Buggys that are well sorted shouldn't pull any more than 100 amps. Trouble is, bashers are quite likely to run high voltage and high gearing, then I can see these failing easily.

MRP $220 as opposed to $349 for an MM2 with the same motor.

Assuming this is man enough for buggy conversions as well as popping into existing 1/8 buggy/truggy burshless offerings, then it's not badly priced. As long as UK retailers keep appropriately priced.

I mean...the MM2 combo is listed on MS at

wow  so for once we get something.  lol     it seems that in the UK  shops will do anything to get out of helping you.  but in the USA they seem to hand out replacements like candy

Why would castle sell a combo that was doomed to fail?

They wouldn't so I'm sure if you stick to there guidelines (11lb) it will run sweet.

On a side note do the cheaper ESC's live up to the ratings they've been given, I'm gonna say no, much like some Lipos have exaggerated claims.

Edited by jimmytheone

• 3 months later...