• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maesterio's Baja

maesterio

I had to get the orange TR parts cause there mostly in stock in orange, red was out of stock. But sometime in the future I might get the orange parts anodized red or black.

Also i am not too sure on the red windows, should have got plain or back.

The weather down my area has just been awful, been raining 24/7 so I am going to let it dry a bit. Might let it rip in the garden, but went to check it today & its 80% mud 20% grass.

Maybe gonna take it to a park lot or something tomorrow. 

When you say pulled it right off?... You're meant to lol, you can't only take it off a little bit if you're wanting to remove the spur.

And yes it goes back on just as easy as it pops off.

Always good to buy a few of those, in a range of sizes, probably the most commonly lost RC related item.

That and body clips.

All done now, was a pretty straight forward install. 

Here is a quick guide to anyone following this thread wanting to replace the clutch carrier. 

Pop off clip with a straight head screwdriver:

288poio.jpg

Spur gear comes off clean:

wjfa0h.jpg

With a plier, or even better a molegrip, hold the bell & take off screw:

1iiw0j.jpg

un-screw the 4 screws you can see in the middle (In the picture they are slightly out):

358ykqs.jpg

The plate pops off after the screws come off, also unscrew the screws on the brackets/support and twist it vertical so you can make way to pull out the carrier, there is no need to take it off completely:

35d6lo3.jpg

unscrew the 3 screws on the carrier & it comes off easily, also take the bearing out to replace it onto your new AL carrier:

2ni5hk7.jpg

I found it a pretty tight fit & needed mole grip to squeeze it back in, replace the bearing on both the top & inside:

23llgcn.jpg

From this point reverse assemble it all back together like you took it out.

How to put the clip back in, just use a plier:

2ex67ow.jpg

Should look something like this:

241qw4x.jpgff2sdu.jpg

I also did the mod to the break springs, does make a big difference:

2i1hyl5.jpg

Most of the stuff is done, just waiting for a killswitch.

Going to finally break it in today  :hahadance:

Running the TC cage doesn't automatically allow mud flaps, you still require the SC rear end parts. They don't really work effectively, but they look fantastic, which is all that really matters. The hpi ones are very tough in my experience.

I'd check the carb settings and compare to those in your manual. Mine wer half a turn to lean on both needles out the box.

As FTI said the carb is ok until u hit problems then it can be a PITA and is best of to change it than try and fix

Edited by SlideSquad

If buying a new Walbro, make sure it says JAPAN on the side toward the inlet manifold, china is cloning the Walbro's now too. Anything less than 35 quid, I'd be suspect.

Gave it a run in today, cracking sound & proper loud compared to my nitro. Slowly picking up full throttle, its bathed in mud! Pictures to come.

Can anyone confirm what evil_sheep said that rcmodelz replace it with a walbro carb (mine is from rcmodelz)

Also, what do you guys this about this cage?

24gu4op.png

Cage with bodyshell, prepainted, with fitting kit for the 5b & top lights.

Bought & delivered for

Looks nice, who makes it and has it got proven durability? Running a spare wheel on the rear will upset handling and make the Baja top heavy. My SC runs a full team chase cage, durable as anything, makes for interesting handling in the turns...

It's a alloy cage & seller is in china. I wholesale mobile phone parts in uk so one of my suppliers gave me his friends skype who works in a factory which make losi/baja parts mostly KM & Rovan parts.

I don't know if there is a link to it online as I cannot find one. I have a couple parts on order from them:

FID racing hydraulic front brake kit

Edited by maesterio