• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brand new KM Baja, had some issues so far...

leedsrhinos126

The carb and servo were sent off today. I stuck another carb on last night and will try again soon.

Is the 813 carb a good upgrade and is it chokeless? Link?

Thanks

668 is also a good choice

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/walbro-wt-668-carb.html

Edited by bill79

The 813 is a great choice for experienced tuners. They have a built in accelerator pump which pumps in a little fuel as you hit the throttle. Some guys have problems with these flooding out their engines. So if you don't have experience tuning carbs or if you snap the throttle alot (like on nitros) I would not recommend one.

The 990 is similar to the 813, but it lacks the accl pump. Niether of these carbs have a choke on them so they can be rather difficult to start on a cold day.

I would recommend a Walbro 668 or a 603 for a novice, they are the easiest to tune. They will have a slight low end bog, but you can remedy that with a decent pipe and an 8k clutch spring.

That's where you're wrong.

Setting your end points is one of the first jobs you do, otherwise you could just go through servos for fun.

Another mis-judgement is everything brand new should work perfectly.

Well yeah in a perfect world maybe, but things happen.

I agree though, ring RCModelz, definitely one of the best customer services you could wish for.

Nah, dont agree with you in the slightest mate.

This is an entry level large scale model.

It should start out of the box with a little tuning.

To need to change carbs or coils before the engine has even barked into life simply isnt cricket.

Fine tuning is acceptable, but it not starting isnt

Just my 2p

If anyone doesnt like my opinions, I have plenty more to share!!;-) 8-)

Gc

• Like 2

Nah, dont agree with you in the slightest mate.

This is an entry level large scale model.

It should start out of the box with a little tuning.

To need to change carbs or coils before the engine has even barked into life simply isnt cricket.

Fine tuning is acceptable, but it not starting isnt

Just my 2p

If anyone doesnt like my opinions, I have plenty more to share!!;-) 8-)

Gc

If that's how you see things, you won't get far in the large scale world chap.

That's just a fact.

Most large scales (well HPI, KM, Rovan etc..) Bajas come with no diff oils for example, or threadlock.

You HAVE to maintain your RCs from opening the box.

This is why so many people have so many problems from the off, they expect it to be 100% from the start, it simply doesn't work that way.

It doesn't mater if you buy the cheapest set-up or the most expensive, they still need at least a basic understanding that not everything from the factory is perfect.

You sometimes receive faulty brand new parts... Well so do the factories who put the Bajas together... With the fact they're brand new, faults aren't found until the owner starts them for the first time :)

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 1

He's right ^ part of this hobby is the whole maintenance/fixing/upgrading. If u want a model that doesn't need any of this then look here.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/browse/product/toys/radio-control-toys?topnav=Toys&subnav=Radio%2BControl%2BToys

Best part of owning the baja for me was getting stuck in and working on it.

• Like 1

He's right ^ part of this hobby is the whole maintenance/fixing/upgrading. If u want a model that doesn't need any of this then look here.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/browse/product/toys/radio-control-toys?topnav=Toys&subnav=Radio%2BControl%2BToys

Best part of owning the baja for me was getting stuck in and working on it.

I think you are missing the point mate.

I love getting into it, maintaining and modding my toys

I dont think its fair that a brand new item WONT START out of the box

Anyway.............

;-)

Gc

i agree,if you buy a brand new model it should at least do what its supposed to do,i would certainly be miffed if i had purchased a new machine and it wouldnt even fire up,its not serving the purpose its ment for and therefore needs to be returned to where it was purchased from for exchange or refund,non of this sending the coil to be tested or send the carb off,thats not the way it should be,it might be worth the sellers running these km,s for 5 minutes to make sure all is ok before sending them out,that way whoever receives it wont be dissapointed upon arrival. this is just my view on the subject and in no way  aimed at slating anyone.

Edited by nigel63
  • Like 3

I think you are missing the point mate.

I love getting into it, maintaining and modding my toys

I dont think its fair that a brand new item WONT START out of the box

Anyway.............

;-)

Gc

And for the people who's ESCs go smoking straight out of the box? :lol:

Sorry but no, not everything is perfect out of the box and it never will be.

Nigel, I in some ways agree with you, it would be nice if the world was perfect but it's not lol.

Also if you bought a brand new RC and it turned up smelling of petrol and you knew it'd been used, would you be happy?

RCModelz does have brilliant customer service though, so no doubt at all the matter will be solved quick enough :)

The company I bought my KM from starts the motor and adjusts the trims on the servos before sending them out. He said he gets less complaints that way.

The factory also fires all motors before shipping.

I'm still think the OP's problem was with the kill switch. It should have been disconnected before trying to be started, just to be sure the motor ran correctly.

The first thing I did straight out the box was remove the roll cage for access and thread locked all necessary screws. The 2 screws for the engine cover mounting on the bottom were I'd say only finger tight so it's defo worth checking everything.

Before attempting fitting the kill switch I ran the engine and all was well even the throttle servo at this point. After this I found that the positive coil terminal was broken after fitting the kill switch, the reason for no spark.

Spare servo and carb borrowed from another model and everything seems good now (can't give it a proper run till Sunday)

The standard car off the KM was a walbro 668. I remember last year I bought one of these from Freeprawn racing which was faulty but slightly different symptoms, they replaced it, after that was spot on. 

• 7 months later...

All km's now come with genuine walbro's, could still be faulty though i rekon, give them a ring im sure they will help you, they always help me buddy.

Is this defiantly true buddy?

I've been trying to re set my carb settings but now it won't start, so I'm checking if it's a walbro 668 H 1-1/2 out L 1-1/4 out.

That's a bit harsh really.

You have to take into account that others don't buy these cars because it is there hobby, They buy them for what they are. And what they think it should do. Just like the boys with the "Octane's" , Because it is our hobby we know what we may get, And in the process we make exceptions and excuses for poor QC.  When I buy a KM, I know I am getting a Chinese clone, I know that there may be some niggles with it, But I know I have saved a lot of money over a genuine Hpi, So I except it, But someone walking in off the street will not except it, And no hobby like this will survive with just the hobbyists alone.

But on the flip side, The stuff from China has made this hobby much cheaper, And the Chinese firms are learning by there mistakes at a fast rate, Look how derided Hobbywing was at the start, When it was Mamba this, And Mamba that, I would now have an XeRun over a Mamba all day long, Also look how KM are adding genuine Walbro's, Or porting there engines, And make a genuine solid alternative to the Hpi.

I agree that it is not what you should expect or accept  from a new product, But it does happen from all of them, But like Hpi falls back on there 2 year warranty, And Castle used to trade on there excellent after sales service for, Let's be honest, A pretty poor ESC, King Motor, Or there suppliers,  Should be given the same courtesy. 

When will people understand you can get a lemon no matter what it is or how much it costs. I used to sell Mercs for a living. When the most recent C class came out (2007ish) I sold one to a really nice bloke.

Edited by YORKSHIRENEO
  • Like 2