• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 TQ2

Jimboy2

My Hyper SS Cage / MacStar .28 came equipped with Savox servos - SC-0254 steering and SC-0352 throttle. I'll be transposing the steering servo to replace the throttle and then getting a new one for steering, maybe a SC-0252 although I've not decided yet.

thanks for info, ill take a look into those later

the first hyper i got had the mac 28 engine . lasted 2 year the engine and no problems at all.the servo on other hand lasted 15 minutes . so bought another the same that lasted 30 mins .did a jump and it split the servo in half .... savox 1256tg for stearing . 1257/58 for throtle

So I have unbowed it all. And got it set up best I can. But bloody igniter hasn't turned up yet so running in will have to wait for another day!

So next question. Battery pack. What does everyone recommend? Batter and charger I will need.

I've gone for a LiPo RX pack and SBEC from HobbyKing, they will last far longer on a charge and give higher output than the 4x AA's I'm running now. They haven't arrived yet. Also got a used basic charger on eBay for a fiver

It's a completely different car so I dont know it it will help on a hyper 7 but ive got a 2s LiFe receiver pack in my HPI Bullet and its made a huge difference to the power of the servos. Just wouldnt steer at any speed before, now got to be careful not to roll it when turning.

Edited by Honeybadger

The amount of different types of batteries is really confusing me.

I have ordered one of these Overlander 1600 NiMh 6v RX Hump Pack along with a charger. Hopefully this will be enough.

Not that I'm gonna be able to find out with this weather and still no igniter! Hurry up postie !

A 6v 5 cell hump pack is a good receiver battery pack. Servos will be slower and weaker at 4.8 volts (the classic 4 AA pack).

As far as servos, when  they break replace them with something better. A SAVOX SC-1256TG for steering and a SAVOX SC-1258TG for thottle / brake is what I use. After that you will not worry about servos anymore. They are really noisy (when the engine is not running, you can hear them constantly trying to center themselves), they are hooked on Amperes consumption but they are very good.

So igniter turned up today so looks like I'm good to go with my break in tomorrow. YAY!!

I have a process I think I will follow.

Amy other tips people would like to share

I know not to have glow plug in tight on 1st start

To heat engine

To keep engine running rich - do I just leave the setting alone until I'm about 10 tanks in?

I took air filter off earlier and checked for the 1-2mm gap and that's all good.

It's really exciting! But also scary as i don't wanna ruin anything.

So igniter turned up today so looks like I'm good to go with my break in tomorrow. YAY!!

I have a process I think I will follow.

Amy other tips people would like to share

I know not to have glow plug in tight on 1st start

To heat engine

To keep engine running rich - do I just leave the setting alone until I'm about 10 tanks in?

I took air filter off earlier and checked for the 1-2mm gap and that's all good.

It's really exciting! But also scary as i don't wanna ruin anything.

I had a hyper as my first nitro and boy it is a good runner...

my advice make sure you set the needle to factory settings before starting up as they generally come way too lean out the box. idle at 1-2mm gap is good :)

don't loosen the glow plug too much just like a 1/4 turn from tight should do...once engine has started tighten it up again.

keep setting at factory (rich for about 10 tanks ... then start leaning the HSN needle by 1/8th for a couple of runs (i assume you have read up on breaking in? )

Engine will behave erractic for first few tanks until it wears in abit then it will become smoother and more stable.. don't be scared about that. follow the steps and you should be fine :)

take ya time and dont rush it... do not full throttle it as hard as that may be to restrict yourself :P

ENJOY! :)

We'll just come back from a epic fail in starting it. Could not get it started once. Followed all the steps and nothing. Gonna check all the needles are as factory.

One thing I did notice is my glow plug only glows orange. Is this enough? And only noticed at the end it wasn't orange at the very end of the coil but this May be because the battery died.

What could I be doing wrong?

We'll just come back from a epic fail in starting it. Could not get it started once. Followed all the steps and nothing. Gonna check all the needles are as factory.

One thing I did notice is my glow plug only glows orange. Is this enough? And only noticed at the end it wasn't orange at the very end of the coil but this May be because the battery died.

What could I be doing wrong?

we've all been there... glow plug show glow orange so thats fine...but make sure you have another as a spare just in case as they do blow easily during break in

set needles to factory

make sure you are priming your engine ... are you ?

i assume its pull-start how you finding it to pull? how many times are you pulling?

Just got my hyper 7 started aswell, took a couple hours of messing around getting advice before it fired up.

Here is a quick sample video I just uploaded of my first tank breaking in, shows how it's sounding and how much fuel is pouring out.

you got that going perfect buddy keep at it :)

I did try heating it up but by the time I got there it had cooled down. I even wrapped it in tin foil!

Yes it's pull start. Pulled about a million times and nothing. Turned car upside down to make sure it wasn't flooded and pulled starter. Would you see fuel coming out?

Seemed to take ages to prime. Not sure how many times I pulled the cord but from the videos I have watched it seems like I had to do it a lot.

Gonna set needles to factory now just I case they were out.

Thanks all this forum is great!

Couple things I noticed while trying to start and they might help you:

1) you HAVE to heat the engine and make sure it's warm before starting. When my engine was not heated the pull start was completely stiff and did not pull out until it was warm. When it's heated and primed properly it starts up in 1 pull even first time.

2) like a lot of people have said, check it's at factory setting.

3) take out the air filter and check the gap, hold onto the breaks and make sure it still maintains that 1-2mm. With 1mm mine did not start so mines a bit more open between 1-2mm

4) also the priming is really important, pull till the fuel just gets to the carb

I did try heating it up but by the time I got there it had cooled down. I even wrapped it in tin foil!

Yes it's pull start. Pulled about a million times and nothing. Turned car upside down to make sure it wasn't flooded and pulled starter. Would you see fuel coming out?

Seemed to take ages to prime. Not sure how many times I pulled the cord but from the videos I have watched it seems like I had to do it a lot.

Gonna set needles to factory now just I case they were out.

Thanks all this forum is great!

this forum is amazing :D

use a sock or a glove...you want to be heating the engine to about 100degress if possible if your using a hairdryer than closest you can get is 60-80 ish but that should do it aswell :)

dont be pulling too much or you will snap it... with the right technique and good setting and a properly primed engine it will start up.

finger over the exhaust pull the pull-start a few times until you see fuel go into the carb..and i find an extra pull for good measure works wonders.

if it becomes to hard to pull then it could be flooded...and when you unscrew the glowplug and turn the car upside down yes you would expect fuel to come out. plug the glowplug back and dont re - prime the engine just try and start it :)

So not sure I did flood the engine then as no fuel came out when I turned it upside down. And at no point was it difficult to pull starter unless the glow plug was in tight. I always cracked it open slightly. Will try again tomorrow when igniter has charged. Hopefully will have another plug by then too

this is my hyper when i had it

the first 20 seconds shows how a properly primed will start the engine on one pull...

you shouldnt be doing more than 2-3 pulls at any one time ...if this is the case ...something isnt right and you should try to find out what factor could be causing it not to start.

So not sure I did flood the engine then as no fuel came out when I turned it upside down. And at no point was it difficult to pull starter unless the glow plug was in tight. I always cracked it open slightly. Will try again tomorrow when igniter has charged. Hopefully will have another plug by then too

igniters last forever once charged up.. as long as you get a bright orange glow its good to use.

i also think maybe you are unscrewing the glow-plug a bit too much since you say its hard to pull but easy when loose. screw it all the way in but don't overtigthen, the engine wont start otherwise.

if you are struggling to prime the engine...just put a couple of drops in the engine before screwing the glow-plug on.

Edited by shaanaleem92

So the difference in pull start tension

When plug out its free

When plug in and igniter on it's still quite free

I guess this is correct. Like I said when I did plug up fully it was locked. So undid slightly and tried again maybe too much.

Not once did it should like it got anywhere near starting.

not primed enough then....

heres what i suggest...

tomorrow heat the engine as much as you can and keep it warm with a sock or anything that will keep it warm.

check glowplug is working...put a drop of fuel in the engine through the glowplug hole.

screw glowplug in...don't overtighten.

prime engine. stop when you see fuel just getting to the carb.

igniter in...

pull the starter...good firm pulls..try 3 to 5 pulls if it not starting stop... re-prime and try again....if its too tight loosen glow-plug a tiny bit...or turn upside down in case you have flooded (shouldnt flood if you follow what ive said correctly)

you may need to increase the throttle a little bit to get it going.