• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What Type of Tx do you use?

300bhp/ton

Tx Types  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Tx do you use?

• Traditional stick type
    • Steer wheel & trigger type

Personally I've always been a fan and user of the more traditional stick type transmitter, and many years back when I started out with RC cars, this type appeared to be the de-facto choice.

But the steering wheel & trigger Tx's seem to be the norm today, in fact I don't think I've seen an RTR kit that doesn't use this type.

I have owned a couple of wheel & trigger Tx's, but I've never really felt at home using them. Am I one of the few still using sticks?

With the faster vehicles the steer wheel is much easier for me.

I have sticks for the tanks.

Each to their own.

Al.

That is somewhat true.Looking at my fleet the slower cars have stick,something abit quicker has trigger.Hmm strange? :lol:

I've become used to this setup.

I've read of many racers using sticks - can't get faster than that!!  Somehow they manage.

Personally I think I can relate the wheel to when I'm driving my 1:1 family car and find it easier to react to 'RC situations'.

Al.

Its interesting but in UK racing, as was said above, many of the fastest guys are still using sticks. However in the rest of the world steer wheels rule supreme, in fact at the recent off road world championships in the USA there were many comments from amazed US fans about the UK drivers using sticks. 

I think it is mostly a carry over from back in the day when sticks was the only way when many of the top drivers started. The are more steer wheels in racing now and anyone brand new to the hobby will tend towards wheels as the availability is so much better.

I don't hate the wheel & trigger type and can use them, but find I get flustered when on the limit or needing to react quickly to a situation.

I think it's down to the fact the controls are almost reversed to a stick type, e.g. to accelerate you pull back on the trigger towards you, rather than away. And with the steering you push back or forward to turn left of right, unless you hold the Tx at an angle to make left and right actually left and right, but then that makes accelerate & brake a left and right action.  :whistling:

• Like 1

I use wheel for my scale truck, but a stick (planet T5) for my old Clod stick crawler as its moa, and also has rear steer. I tried a wheel tx for it but the stick was easier. When I raced there were (and still are) plenty of people  using  sticks, and they are quick drivers. I tried stick on one of my race cars, but didnt get on with it. Oh and wheel tend to be lighter and less bulky.

Edited by M1tchy

I started with sticks when I first got into RC many years ago, I was reluctant to change over to a wheel setup but when I did I was pleasantly surprised and since I haven't looked back.  I find you can get more precise control out of a wheel and trigger setup.

I find trigger/wheel tx's to be more comfortable and more useable for bashing than sticks, and far easier to run the faster stuff with

I find trigger/wheel tx's to be more comfortable and more useable for bashing than sticks, and far easier to run the faster stuff with

Well, I started with buttons, then key switches and sticks when proportional came out. I did buy a "Launch Link" in about 1970, which was the first wheel transmitter produced, but it was absolute rubbish! Since then I have stuck with sticks. Even if I bought something with a trigger transmitter, first job was to change it to sticks. I now have a "bin" with at least 20 trigger transmitters in it!

Sticks just seem more natural and I find wheel/trigger very uncomfortable, but I suspect it is what you are used to.

I suspect that a wheel configuration with its direct connection to the pot may be cheaper to produce - in the same way that most 1:1  cars these days are front wheel drive, whereas the "quality" end of the mass market (Mercedes and BMW) still produce rear wheel drive. Probably predictably, as an old stick-in-the-mud, I also still prefer and run a rear wheel drive!

i run a set of sticks, 

i still have 75mhz - 40mhz and 27mhz stick handsets ( no insides i repo'd the parts for electronics)

my current stick system is a DX6I, 10 model programming Airplane/heli modes.

models that currently use the sticks are

2x quadcopters and a jetboat.

The problem with wheels are you have to hold the handle and run throttle. its like your clutching a dumbell.

my sticks when hung correct just sit hovering in mid air, i have no need to hold the handset at all

my sticks rest upon a handset tray and my body takes the weight, it also means my hands and

fingers are free to work spare channels if needed without fiddling around

Like many others I started on sticks and used them exclusively for 20 years or so. Then my precious KO Esprit II finally gave up the ghost and it was time to replace it, but what with? Well a new 2.4ghz system with all the features my old KO had was over

I have no idea how people race cars with sticks. A couple of the nitro people use sticks at ours and they're unbelievably quick with them. It's relating the linear motion of the sticks to the circular motion i imagine when turning a corner that I struggle with.

• Like 1

I've got to admit, that having always used stick, I'm struggling with my latest purchase being a trigger/wheel, and I think it's got more to do with the trigger than the wheel part :-/

I could never control a car with a stick transmitter, don't seem to have the coordination, which could prove expensive in repairs..!! Wheel transmitters feel more like real "driving" to me.. :)

as already been said, i started my rc ing with the sticks, the old acoms sets with receivers like house bricks but at the time it was considered the norm i suppose, the only wheel type ones i remember from then were with the tamiya qd range.

i then bought my first rtr a brushed slash when the first came out and it took a while but finally got used to them, although when i was into the tamiya trucks and tanks i still used the sticks for the various options which were easier to do, last stick tx i had was a dx6i

but i now am fully onto the steerwheel type but if i had another truck or tank then i would probably go back to a stick set up. but being left handed have made the transition to right handed steerwheel tx`s.

by far and away the comfiest i have found is the spektrum range, they just feel right for me and my lad :thumbsup:

I've got sticks for all of my cars but my B44, and think it probably a bit easier to drive a faster car with a wheel type radio, but don't really mind TBH.

I have, however, found that I prefer analog trims and adjustments to digital trims

Yup neil is correct, however if you dont have the dexterity to take full advantage of sticks then there is not much point, its all a pretty even playing field now, sticks vs wheel is purely about the user, unless you are herpy derp with 1 and Hara good with the other..sticks vs wheel wont be the deciding factor on you winning a worlds.

Id personally like to try sticks as i used to do a lot of pc gaming so kind of goes hand in hand, however the size of the units and my shakes n now lack of dexterity i cant do shizzle with em