• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just been given an HPI Savage 25 - strip down, rebuild (secondary winter project)

MAZ

This is too weird, I'm off.

Yeah, wangerman started something awful...

So back on topic chaps...

Gonna clean up the motor tonight, seal around the carb and check the backplate too. Gonna take the cooling head off and have look at the top of the piston. I have no idea if the engine was even broken in - hopefully it was

How reliable is the transmission on the savage 25?

Hi,

put up a list of what you need when you get to the bottom of the grease - I sold/gave away all my savage parts but I am happy to buy/chip in to help get it running bud.

Cheers

Will do mate :)

I've got a pdf version of the manual but if anyone has a proper one that they're not using then I'd definitely be interested in it!

Loosened up the carb slide as it was really stiff

Also took the head off - what do you think?

20131129_204607_zpsd3ff3055.jpg

How many shims are supposed to be under the button head?

maz from memory these carb have a cotapin type pin like old bike cranks it needs to be in the right place to realese the carb. 

good luck on the rebuild great read so far.bud :thumbsup:   

Just a little update - the backplate and carb are now sealed, crankcase is a little less disgusting and greasy. The owb was covered in oil so cleaned that up. I put it back together, the rota start spins counter clockwise to make the flywheel spin counter clockwise - thats right isnt it?

Just cleaning the pipe up now.

So far I think I'm after some drive cups as the ones on the truck are pretty worn, a gasket for where the pipe hooks up to the motor, a 6v battery pack and maybe some bulletproof diffs (havent got round to checking them yet but they sound like a must have hop-up)

Oh and a manual!!! Looking through 68 or so pages on my phone is most annoying!!!!

I'm going to run the engine on 25% byrons, using an OS.8 plug - should be okay shouldn't it?

The engine and pipe after damn good cleaning!

20131202_204338_zps3eabf256.jpg

Coming along very nicely Maz. Are you not able to use a tablet/lap top to view the PDF?

I tend to use my phone as someone is always using the laptop - I also find it quicker to flick through a real life manual

can you link me to the drive cups marion ? I may have some in the swamp of spares you know only too well !

PS Noj..I dont think he's allowed on a real computer..something about prawns or sommat ?

Did you want me to fnd the part number? There are pics on the second page if that helps Edited by MAZ

Prawns, shellfish blurgh!!!

I have have a rubber a rubber gasket for the engine/exhaust seal  left from when I had a savage x 4.6 free to good home if your interested

Yes please!