• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just been given an HPI Savage 25 - strip down, rebuild (secondary winter project)

MAZ

Okay bit of a weird one...

I've got a neighbour who has special needs, he's a nice guy and tends to say hello if I'm out on the green messing around with my rc's

He's told me in the past that he's got a couple of trucks - one petrol and one that has batteries.

His nan has told him that he has to get rid of the petrol one as it's too noisy and to complicated for him.

He wanted me to have it and tonight he brought it over

20131123_182938_zps0ba302a7.jpg

20131123_183004_zps83ace2d3.jpg

Now I wasnt sure about taking this as he's a nice guy and I didnt want to take advantage of him.

I went over to see his nan and talked to her about it and to make sure everything was good. She tolf me about his mum dying and his brothers taking everything in the house - he was left the house so I think the rest of the family is peeved that the house was left to him.

I feel bad for him and was thinking about what the best thing to do with the truck

My missus says to sell it and give him (probably his nan) the money for the truck - I'm thinking along that line as well. I'm still converting my mta4 and thats going to take long enough to do properly lol

What do you guys think?

The truck needs a good clean up and he told me that the engine didnt run - I dont want to sell it for peanuts so I'm gonna clean it up and try an get the engine running

Do these trucks have reverse or is it just a 2 speed gearbox?

Need info in this truck too :)

Bit of a rushed post as dinner is on the go!

Edited by MAZ

Wow, how generous.

Me, I would fix and sell for him, or, if he wants leccy, how about converting it with him, if you have the time and he has the cash for parts?

What's for dinner? Are we invited...bit peckish...

• Like 2

A 25 would just be a simple 2 speed, no reverse. Reverse was an optional extra.

It will also have the old-spec diffs. I would just clean it up, get it running and sell it on. Find out what sort of RC's he DOES like, and get him one with the proceeds....or else sort him a better charger/battery setup for whateve else he has.

Sometimes it's better to give a gift rather than cash, as that way...you know he will get the benefit.

Dinner done and it were grand like :)

I keep going over what the guy and his nan were saying when I went over there (I think his nan is now his legal guardian) she's seen me out on the green chasing my kids with either my hyper 7 or ST - I've seen her standing out in the doorway laughing when my son and daughters have been screaming and giggling as they run away lol

When she emphasised that it was good that I had his truck, it has got me thinking - did they want me to have it rather than get rid of it?? I'm gonna go back over there tomorrow to speak to his nan again, I dont want to upset the guy in any way - he might not understand if I sold the truck on his behalf and even though he'd be getting the money or something of equal value - he might just see it as me getting rid of something that he gave me because he had to give it up - does that make sense lol

Edited by MAZ

Mate I know you personally and you are a top bloke I know you will do what's best. Between you things will work out. You are right they may want to see it running again in your hands that may give the lad pleasure you couldn't put a price on. Whatever happens knowing you as I do I know you will do the right thing by everyone

After all you are awesome

Edited by wangerman69

I've been working this afternoon and havent been back home for very long - I'll have a look to see if there's anyone in either a bit later or tomorrow

Is a savage 25 a pig to work on? This truck really smells of old smoke :(

Savage 25 is easy to work on. Detail differences between that and the current X ( radio tray is different, arms are different...but X ones fit...diffs will be older spec possibly only 4 gear internals rather than 6...fuel tank probably has the primer pump on it too. Chassis plates will be differnt design but identical dimensions. Wheels will be 14mm hex, diff housings and bumper mounts are different )

In the main though, if you have worked on one Savage...you've worked on them all :)

If it was mine, I would strip it to bare bones, open up the diffs and check the internals. Update the things if needed, or drop a pair of BP diffs and pinions in there. Then just rebuild it and clean it.

As long as you don;t fit a hairy motor in there, you can get away with non-BP diff/pinion ... but check the internals. The early models had a single cross shaft and 2 planetary gears. In a plastic diff, the thing spreads under load stripping the gears. I always use alloy diff and modern diff internals.

Costs a bit to fully upgrade an old Savage, but if you stick with the motor size HPI intended, most of it;s not needed. Depending on what you fit,

Went over tonight and spoke to his mum (I thought it was his nan or aunt before) found out a bit more about him and its pretty depressing - he was living with his dad for a long time (I got this part completely wrong lol) and his dad died suddenly and everything turned to chaos. His brothers cleared out everything and left him with not alot. Except, he owns the deed to the house - which they are jealous of - probably because he is a vulnerable adult and in their eyes its wasted on him...

Anyway, they do want me have it and to try and get it running again... nitro.... oh god lol

I'll do a thread on it when I've finished my mta4 s28 brushless conversion :)

I'm also going to try and find him a hotbodies e-zilla 10 shell as his one got thown away

Whilst I don't have anything much in the way of upgrade parts, I do have quite a lot of spares for the original 25, so if it needs anything to get it running, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers guys - I will get it up and running. Just to add, the guy would be classed as a vunerable adult, I think he's older than I am physically but hard to say mentally. He's a really nice guy but sounds like he's been really **** on by his brothers because of the way he is.

My son has a few problems but he is the way he is and you just accept him - it makes me so mad that his family have treated him so badly because his dad (before he died) tried to do the right thing and leave him the house.

His mum said that money is the root of all evil...

Anyway...

He's also got a hotbodies e-zilla that needs a new shell and batteries, gonna see if I can source a shell for him :)

its nice that you are doing this for the guy.

i think this will get repeated by a fair few times (at least i would hope so) but if you need help in getting it running for him drop me a pm, i don't have any savage parts but i'd be ok buying some if it gets this truck on the grass again for him.

• Like 1

Had a quick look at the savage and its a bit of a mess. Hopefully its just superficial.

20131127_210056_zps37b691e0.jpg

20131127_210119_zps4602d8e6.jpg

20131127_210215_zpsc27f2187.jpg

Really dirty and oily, drive cups are pretty worn. Screws missing. The engine mount was held in place on the chassis by 2 odd screws. The carb is loose, the clutchbell was held in place by loose fitting washers (the copper bush was missing)

The rubber connector keeping both half of the exhaust connected (held in place with zip ties) was loose and looks like it was leaking?

Its a drill start so gonna check to see the condition of the owb later

I'll be cleaning the whole lot up while waiting for funds to build up so I can carry on with my mta4/mgt brushless build. Then will come back to this and finish it off

Can the savage be converted to brushless?

Hmm.....

Will a force/arne pull start fit on the engine?