• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

losi desert buggy

the watchman

This was designed by RCMK but never got to production. It was touted on the web 12 to 18 months ago, pleanty of pics around it it is identical in almost everyway to this thing. Losi have bought the design I assume. Some parts of it look initially similar enough to 5T to enable Losi to sell it, but look close and it is a mile away from a 5T (plastic shock caps, plastic shock towers, cheaper looking plastic and 23cc. Sorry, but this is not in the same league IMO and unless it is markedly cheaper (ie Punisher territory) then I don't see the point in it. 

quote from news section

Er, hang on....this is not a Losi original like the 5ive, but a rebadged Red Cat??

No, no, no. Totally unacceptable. Looking at this in a different light now, especially as the rebadge has added about $200 to the price, no doubt...

I don't know much about OEMs etc, but what if Losi bought the rights, then actually built it in-house, using their own grade of plastics and ally? Surely this would make it acceptable? Then they'd be using their own diffs etc.

I could be talking complete rot here, but I'm always open to enlightenment, so if someone wants to give "an idiots guide", I'm all ears! ;)

I don't know much about OEMs etc, but what if Losi bought the rights, then actually built it in-house, using their own grade of plastics and ally? Surely this would make it acceptable? Then they'd be using their own diffs etc.

I could be talking complete rot here, but I'm always open to enlightenment, so if someone wants to give "an idiots guide", I'm all ears! ;)

I think what people are saying is, it's built somewhere else and simply put the Losi name on.

But you make a point, if I'd personally bought the rights to something, I'D want to see it's developement and quality control, especially for such a vast company.

I think what people are saying is, it's built somewhere else and simply put the Losi name on.

But you make a point, if I'd personally bought the rights to something, I'D want to see it's developement and quality control, especially for such a vast company.

Cheers, I was hoping people would understand my point.

Losi tend to use good quality plastics, non-brittle type. So as you say, have they rolled their sleeves up and made sure it's being made to their own in-house standards?

Time will tell, I guess.

Cheers, I was hoping people would understand my point.

Losi tend to use good quality plastics, non-brittle type. So as you say, have they rolled their sleeves up and made sure it's being made to their own in-house standards?

Time will tell, I guess.

I'm personally convinced it'll be every bit as strong as the 5ive... But that's just me, I have faith in what they can do, when you consider what a beating the 5ive can take completely box stock.

I'm looking forward to Chris's review anyway, that's for sure.