• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Weathering the flatbed.

bigoggy

I decided that this looked too shiny and new, so I changed it.

null_zps37f75c05.jpg

Hit it with a screwdriver, cut some chunks out with a knife.

null_zps832c9fce.jpg

Held a lighter to it in places.

null_zps951d3511.jpg

null_zpsa415e020.jpg

Drizzled some shock oil in places.

null_zps2e338e38.jpg

Then mixed some coffee, with a little water, and put the mix on by hand, to get an uneven finish.

null_zps9bc918e8.jpg

null_zpse2d1a01b.jpg

null_zps5831d9d2.jpg

up to the shock oil bit I was thinking 'god no why?' but after seeing the coffee effect it looks much better. Is that stobart on the tv? lol

Yes, I'm one of the sad people that watches Stobart.

I love how they make a huge drama out of having to put a truck through a gap only 2 foot wider than the cab, Like thousands of truckers do every day, but on there is a huge problem.

Edited by bigoggy

I have the rust thing round winches, anchor holes etc on my rc boats. Have tried the rust you buy in tins but by far the most authentic way is putting some metal nails etc in some salty water and leave it for a few months then paint it on

That looks so much better chap nice work. If you go the route of rust give the deluxe scenic rust stuff a try.

Thanks, I have the, master weathering kit, from Tamiya.

I've also had good results putting metal filings in water based glue, paste it on, and then soak or drizzle on salt water. That's real rust.

I have the rust thing round winches, anchor holes etc on my rc boats. Have tried the rust you buy in tins but by far the most authentic way is putting some metal nails etc in some salty water and leave it for a few months then paint it on

You beat me to it there bud, I did the Maggie M and my King Tiger Tank with home made rust and it works a treat..

Edited by ibo