• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

my not a maverick scout

thesnake505

Fuel tube mod = remove and open up the shocks and add a length of fuel tube over the bottom of the shock shaft on the inside of the shock.  When you reassemble it will limit the travel of the shock by the length of tube you have added.  This lowers your ride height which makes things more stable.  Usually people start with 10mm of tube.  You don't have to use fuel tube either... I had some stainless 10mm spacers that fit neatly over the shock shaft.

cheers mate il try this and see how low it sits would prob be easier to just buy an scx10 lol

cheers mate il try this and see how low it sits would prob be easier to just buy an scx10 lol

I bought the Scout because it offered lots of opportunities for pulling it apart, have learned a lot from it.  Might have to buy a proper RC car when the missus isn't looking.

I run behind the axle steering using some Vanquish Products Zero Ackerman knuckles I got off ebay. You'll need some knuckles with higher arms than the stock ones so you can clear the links / shocks. I made my own servo plate to reverse the servo and also my own tie rod. It takes a bit of fiddling but certainly cleans up the front end.

My first setup:

and current version with LIPO and off centre servo:

or you can try and find an AX10 BTA kit but they cost a fair bit.

The stock servo is not great once you get heavy wheels and grippy tires. The Alturn High Torque ones are a pretty inexpensive option (

I don't know about the losi, but I expect the losi is the better car, however for the money I think the scout is brilliant! A few simple mod's and its very capable, 4ws is easy with the scout as well, it comes down to personal choice I think, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the scout

Took out the scout this morning with 4ws, and one thing became apparent, the rear servo needs to be a lot stronger lol! Think a couple of power hd's and an external bec to power them!

However the new turning circle is insane!

Edited by thesnake505

• 1 month later...

have a fly sky gt3c to swap out the stock radio gear now, hacked it last night, got 4ws set up, just need to work out how to turn it on and off! however impressed with the improved functionality.

HI, I have a Scout as well and have so far done the shock mod, moved the links inboard, put on a set of HB Rovers, and weighted the wheels to 175g each front and 100g rear. I was wondering if you have had any problems with the weights. I have replace 6 steering hubs over the last 3 months, they are just ripping off. I have put it down to too much weight, and have now reduced the fronts to 110g and the rears to 70g. Have'nt had it out yet as last time I fried the ESC in a nice rockpool so I had too get a new one, then I found that one of the front innner bearings was shot, so am waiting on some new ones (should be here tomorrow hopefully). Also received 2 Axial lockers in the post today, diffs are still ok, but want to be prepared for the inevitable..

Anyway, hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am..

I am really happy with the weights. Not had any issues with the hub's though! Just done the diff mod in the front as I destroyed the old locker! Next up is behind the axle steering, and better servos!

• 4 weeks later...

been busy with this lately, beginning of the month I ordered a pair of axial behind the axle steering kits, however the seller set me only one bta kit, however he did said a axial swx bender chassis kit.

so after looking in to the kit I decided to fit it to the scout, so I stripped down the scout and built up the new chassis, needed a few mods like drilling out the holes for the centre gearbox, but after a few tweaks I got it to work, here is how she sat

IMAG0271_BURST001_zps0726d5bf.jpg

IMAG0272_BURST001_zps5738f205.jpg

how ever I found the shocks way too long from the scout meaning the drive shafts fouled the chassis plate, so I removed the springs which let it all sit lower

IMAG0273_BURST005_zps01accb43.jpg

IMAG0274_BURST003_zps8474e40b.jpg

then after breaking the C hub due too having too much lock so now awaiting new alloy chubs and CVD drive shafts I decided to get a little creative

its not finished, I have cross braces to make and maybe some body panels for a bonnet/roof, and work out mounting the rest of electrics! when finished I will probably spray it up black to match the rest of the car

IMAG0279_BURST005_zpsd8bef6d7.jpg 

IMAG0280_BURST005_zps1be39bbd.jpg

IMAG0281_BURST008_zpse3bb1166.jpg

IMAG0282_BURST004_zpsdace3fc2.jpg

IMAG0283_BURST004_zpsfe888d4e.jpg

IMAG0284_BURST004_zps79d47c93.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, I do like the SWX. Do your driveshafts clear the skid OK? Mine rub at full shock extension so I've started filing a groove so they clear.

I run mine a touch lower (lower links parallel to ground) with droop shocks and it is so stable.

I designed a 5mm acrylic piece that sits just behind the gearbox across the chassis using spare holes that takes the esc and rx nicely. Will get a pic tmrw and can send you one if interested.

Im liking the look of the SWX  :yes: - I looked into this kit as an option for a crawling specific rig but didn't want to use maverick mechanics as i too was beginning to break parts regularly :xd: .

I don't think it was the wheel weights specifically just the tougher lines i was demanding of it as mentioned.....it was defo up for it tho  :yes:

That is a nice looking tool  :thumbsup: should wipe the floor with the original set-up for sure.

As yet im still undecided as to what i want next...like the look of the XR10 as a kit,but theres a lot of options with the comp classes.Its a substantial investment too so may use some parts from my Honcho to get me going.

Seriously that's a great looking rig on a budget with a gradual upgrade/build ethos.Nice  :thumbsup: 

Alex  :thumbsup:   

Cheers for all the kind words

I have a small update to day, my 3 racing CDV's turned up today, so got them fitted, so now I can use full lock, stole an unbroken C hub off the read and Cable tied up the broken on as there is no chance of it splitting with the stock steering on the rear

I have also fitted some cheap 100mm shocks of ebay no named build quality seams ok however they lower the car and give it more stability at the cost of articulation,

so with it in a useable condition I threw some electrics, this is by no means finished, and I have alloy c hubs on the way, however the weight distribution seams to be pretty good the way it is.

with this set up I am really happy, it throws it self around the garden with a good stance, I may try get some weaker springs however I am really happy, it twists and climbs how I wanted it to., I do need to set the bec up which I have never done, but the two 17kg servos struggle at times,

IMAG0286_BURST004_zpsed4b9dfe.jpg

IMAG0287_BURST004_zps759d258f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

been working on this the last week, I have made a new body, much happier with this one, its slightly beefier in places and its a lot more symmetrical, not sure weather to add a rear window so opinions welcome.

still very much a work in progress, the back needs tightening up and the barley board needs filing flush with the side plates, but its defiantly starting to look how I want.

IMAG0309_BURST002_zps14c0b127.jpg

IMAG0308_BURST002_zpsc3285bdb.jpg

IMAG0307_BURST002_zps865fada3.jpg

IMAG0306_BURST002_zps007c839a.jpg

IMAG0305_BURST002_zps1d98a627.jpg

IMAG0304_BURST002_zps8cacbc60.jpg