• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Computer wizz kid!

Carpmart

I've got three laptops (2 laptops and a netbook to be precise) which through poor maintenance, have got progressively more clogged and slow in speed.  I'm after someone who knows what they are doing to clear the laptops and install either a windows or other OS into which I can load a browser, firewall and virus protection.  These are only used for browsing, one by my wife, one in the inside den and one in the garage.

Ideally someone local (mid Bedfordshire) but if further afield, could obviously courier.

PM me if you can help.  

I am quite good on computers, there is a way you can speed up your computer yourself, is all you need is a memory stick, you know a USB pen drive, if you had say a 4gb 1 there is a way of plugging that into your laptop and dedicating is as RAM, it's really easy and makes a difference strait away, it has to be an empty memory stick, and if you decide to, it takes about 1 min to turn it back to a memory stick, I will find a vid on YouTube, what OS do you currently have installed? Works on all systems just sometimes a different process. You can usually pick up a 4gb stick on eBay for less than a fiver so a lot cheaper than getting somebody to "speed it up" let me know what OS your running.

I am quite good on computers, there is a way you can speed up your computer yourself, is all you need is a memory stick, you know a USB pen drive, if you had say a 4gb 1 there is a way of plugging that into your laptop and dedicating is as RAM, it's really easy and makes a difference strait away, it has to be an empty memory stick, and if you decide to, it takes about 1 min to turn it back to a memory stick, I will find a vid on YouTube, what OS do you currently have installed? Works on all systems just sometimes a different process. You can usually pick up a 4gb stick on eBay for less than a fiver so a lot cheaper than getting somebody to "speed it up" let me know what OS your running.

flogging a dead horse, backup whats needed and start a fresh install is always best

Hi chaps

Thanks for the replies

Its a fresh install needed and TBH. as browsing devices, they have more than enough RAM.  

Surely the read/write to using USB 1.0 or even a 2.0 USB will be too slow to be practical?  I would be better using the spinning disc, surely?

I think Bodgemonkey is going to do it for me fellas!

Going on the assumptions that all the laptops/pcs in the household are running slow it probably makes more sense to buy the disc than try and download/burn it :) Thus the

There is an easier way of doing this than having to constantly plug a usb in, dedicate some HDD space as virtual ram, only downside is you lose some hard drive space

You don't have to constantly plug a USB stick in, you dedicate the stick to ram an leave it plugged in until you decide you don't want to use it anymore

So every time you use the laptop then.... Using USB drives in this way is a pain the in the butt with laptops, especially when they start ragging your ports about when being dumped on sofas, sliding off legs etc

Edited by hutch

You don't have to constantly plug a USB stick in, you dedicate the stick to ram an leave it plugged in until you decide you don't want to use it anymore

He has already said that his computers have plenty enough ram, that method sounds silly anyway for a laptop

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate,

i build & repair PC's also do lots of programming & website design etc (& nope i'm not a geek!)

I can format (wipe everything) & re-install OS for you etc so they run like new :)

If your still looking for someone to sort them drop me a PM fella.

Edited by rctruckz

I can format (wipe everything) & re-install OS for you etc so they run like new :)

I love formatted HDD's especially when people think they have overwritten all the bad parts and files they no longer want.......its great looking through them to see their history........

Don't listen to this guy

How to make your computer faster

1)  Upgrade RAM

2) Upgrade from spinning hard disk to a SSD

3) Fresh install

4) Use another more efficient OS, ie Ubuntu