• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Todays Epic Fail (or what i broke today)

RCMonkee

What's all this about loctiting screws? I've never needed to...

Until yesterday. Screw for brushless motor mount on my hyper has made a bid for freedom. Luckily I had a spare.

Guess who now uses loctite?

Edited by optimus
  • Like 1

My epic fail was to order what I thought to be the X1-CR buggy CNC chassis braces from HongKong only to find that they were for the X1-CRT. Yes I know "Idiot"

Not to be out done I grinded the ends down and made them fit anyway with surprising success.

• Like 1

My epic fail was to order what I thought to be the X1-CR buggy CNC chassis braces from HongKong only to find that they were for the X1-CRT. Yes I know "Idiot"

Not to be out done I grinded the ends down and made them fit anyway with surprising success.

Done the same but the other way round! If I'd have known I would have offered a swap!

• Like 1

It seems I have just manslaughtered my ESC. I got some new batteries and was putting bullet connectors on each side and when I connected it all up there was big audiable and visible spark.

Fiddlesticks*

Now the ESC won't turn on.....

*not actual wording used at the time of the incident

• Like 1

It seems I have just manslaughtered my ESC. I got some new batteries and was putting bullet connectors on each side and when I connected it all up there was big audiable and visible spark.

Fiddlesticks*

Now the ESC won't turn on.....

*not actual wording used at the time of the incident

I think I'm the only one making epic fails at the moment. Lord knows why I'm airing them out in public.

Epic fail part 2:

So my new hobbywing 150a and xt90 connectors arrived today from modelsport (less than 24hr delivery, I'm amazed) so I got to soldering and wire cutting etc. I also used one of the wires from my dead esc (wp 8sc) to make a charging wire for my batteries. When I finished with everything I connected one of the 4s batteries I recently bought to the 150a.

It worked!

Whoopie! All is good! So I checked the other battery.

Dead.

No life. Nothing.

Slowly a hurtful pain began to surge through my head. The kind of pain associated with the realisation that something stupid has just been done by oneself.

So slowly I began to solder wire and deans connectors back onto the wp 8sc, repairing the butchering I had committed on it. Then came the moment of truth. I tested it by connecting it to one of my sons 2s lipo's.

The LED lights up and it bleeps.

My children are around so I initiate internal swearing and profanities mode.

It was my new 4s lipo I had killed previously, not the sc8. So now I've just spent

My BF109 messerschmitt went AWOL yesterday. It must have lost signal as it just became unresponsive to any controls and just kept going! :(
Last think i saw of it was go down behind a line of trees.
To cut a long story short i got it back after about an hours searching and asking the rather understanding farmer if i could look for it.
It was a little worse for wear but will live to tell the tale. I thought i had lost for good! My daughter thought it was a good adventure anyway lol.
Thinking a small tracking device might come in handy.

IMAG5466_zpsplhnujil.jpg

Edited by RCMonkee

My BF109 messerschmitt went AWOL yesterday. It must have lost signal as it just became unresponsive to any controls and just kept going! :(

To cut a long story short i got it back after about an hours searching and asking the rather understanding farmer if i could look for it.

It was a little worse for wear but will live to tell the tale. I thought i had lost for good! My daughter thought it was a good adventure anyway lol.

You can get beepers quite cheaply but you have to be reasonably close, like edge of field away from the one's I've seen.

GPS tag could be a tad more expensive.

High speed end over end resulted in this on the Tomahawk

20140929_164110_zps32835077.jpg

20140929_164120_zps4981ab90.jpg

Not really an epic fail as it had broken before and I had glued it but the Tomahawk gets its knackers rung out whenever it is used so I am surprised it has lasted this long. Managed to burn my bloody hand too on something. I think it was the side of the manifold.

20140929_163940_zps84d4f4c3.jpg

Doesnt look bad in the pic but it is rather sore lol

I remember reading about this a little while ago - http://gpstrackerapp.net/the-tile-app-gps-tracker/

Not sure if it is for sale yet as the developers website seems to be down at the moment but should imagine something nice and compact like this would work a treat.

I remember reading about this a little while ago - http://gpstrackerapp.net/the-tile-app-gps-tracker/

Not sure if it is for sale yet as the developers website seems to be down at the moment but should imagine something nice and compact like this would work a treat.

Problem is those aren't gps trackers. They sync last location with your apple phone (I think) so no good for anything that's moving. They run on low energy bluetooth so range is not that good for this type of tracking.

Anything true GPS generally needs a sim card to operate.

IMAG5466_zpsplhnujil.jpg

20 mins with the hot glue gun will have that back in the sky  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today's epic fail...... For once... Nothing ! I've been out shopping with the wife. lol

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Just the Credit card that took a bashing then!

I ditched the my 450 Quad, luckily just the props that are gone . They always go down hard like a lead frisby! Hate that walk of shame :(

The Hyper ST took a beating at the skatepark and my H2 snapped a driveshaft last night. Got spares for all of it so got away without having to order anything :)