• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project: Chaser

-BEZ-

Will be good to see how the MGM holds up I remember someone on here having issues with theirs.

I have 3 MGM controllers with no problems. They are very good controllers :)

Best of luck to you Bez, it has been truly fascinating to read through this thread and follow it along. I hope everything gets sorted in time for you to run it. Can i just ask, what is the distance it runs over to reach its official speed? 1/4 mile?

Chassis parts arrived today ...... wohoo xD ... I just have one more part to get posted and Im hunkey dorey. 

Now I have the parts I have been able to start the rough assembly of everything to make sure it all fits and then after that I attack it with threadlock lol

Here is the rear wing, loverly prepreg carbon and a printed downforce aerofoil:

20140807_1529211_zpsba02947b.jpg

Now that was the easy part, the other parts i decided to give some autosol lovin' ....... but alas its not a quick job by any imagination ........ definatly a labour of love but the results are pretty impressive. So far its just the rear of the car im working on:

20140807_221937_zpscb55cb18.jpg

After I got that far I couldn't resist bolting a few bits together ....... after all poloshing is uber boring ...... I must admit it looks very pretty with it all bolted together with the motor :)

20140807_230414_zps2c2d756a.jpg

20140807_230428_zps6c37858e.jpg

There is still a silly amount of thing to get done but I will be taking my time to make sure its built right .......... watch this spare for more shiney stuff lol

• Like 2

Cheers fella, I was up till the very early hours in the morning getting the ally cleaned up, this was the end result:

The current version is using alloy as a main chassis where as the later version will use carbon. The main reason its alloy currently is carbon of the dimensions I need is like rocking horse poo or as expensive as a brand new HPI savage for 3 pieces lol 

20140808_092057_zpsc40a5859.jpg

Next job: Installing electronics and soldering 

• Like 1

Another busy day swearing and tinkering. The power plant is now installed onto the chassis and wired up, I also finished printing the rear diffuser. The more I build the chassis up the more design tweeks i am making a note of for next years revision lol

Todays progress summed up in a piccy:

20140811_001542_zps5f5692c1.jpg

Still plenty to be cracking on with, and time is running out lol As I make more progress with the build I will update this thread :)

• Like 1

Whats the specs on the electrics?

Controller = MGM Xseries 2 Pro 400A

Motor = Custom Spec 2240 hiAmp Lehner 6 wind

So far is the build on budget or there is no budget  :sweatdrop: ?

no budget, not even counting as it would be depressing lol but the ESC and motor alone are over a grand. Needless to say I have had to sell a lot of my other cars to keep the project alive.

What figures are you hoping for at the weekend?

I would like to see over 150Mph, however I have to re realistic that the project is running behind so I haven't been able to do any testing yet. There are soo many components that can fail at high speed so its a bit like shooting in the dark.

Another day and more tinkering done, although a fair bit of time has been spent designing and printing fixtures and fittings today, baring the fly leads to the lipos the chassis is all wired up now and reasonably neat and tidy which keeps my OCD happy lol

Some piccys from today's progress

20140812_014945_zpsd8a2bccf.jpg

20140812_015015_zpsb478f40a.jpg

20140812_015032_zpse69270c7.jpg

Still to do:

- Solder Lipos

- Test ESC/motor

- Fit front and rear axles/wheels etc

- mount and tweek body

I'm sure i will end up with a couple more challenges along the way lol

• Like 2

Whats the specs on the electrics?

Controller = MGM Xseries 2 Pro 400A

Motor = Custom Spec 2240 hiAmp Lehner 6 wind

So far is the build on budget or there is no budget  :sweatdrop: ?

no budget, not even counting as it would be depressing lol but the ESC and motor alone are over a grand. Needless to say I have had to sell a lot of my other cars to keep the project alive.

What figures are you hoping for at the weekend?

I would like to see over 150Mph, however I have to re realistic that the project is running behind so I haven't been able to do any testing yet. There are soo many components that can fail at high speed so its a bit like shooting in the dark.

Thanks for that, yeah as you said im sure it isnt worth adding it up. Yes its a lot of money but its one off and you have built it all yourself which is a good achievement and if you reach your goal even better :).

Whats the limit for the esc and motor?

Going by the above figures I assume the motor is 2240kv?

What lipos will you be using to hopefully hit your 150mph goal?

Sorry about all the questions but I find it interesting.

Thanks.

Edited by DazzaClio