• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

Thanks H4DOW.

Yesterday I ordered some Absima shocks from jk-rc (eBay), along with some M3 GForce Ball Links and M3 threaded rod. Parts should be arriving in the coming days.

Abisma Shocks.jpg

Edited by v17mah
correction.
  • Like 1

Time for a change for Vanessa's Lunchbox. A bit of touching in to be done around the windscreen and the side window. Shocks, brace and tyre stickers to go on later this week.

DSC_0470.jpg

Edited by v17mah
Edited.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 13:08, AndySeven said:

Well for starters I don't like the Tamiya servo saver and use the KIMBROUGH servo savers, also make sure you use the correct horn for your servo.

Which KIMBROUGH servo saver you use? mid or large? FX10 and centred servo.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sense Innovations ESS One. Plugs between battery and ESC, so it takes it's "orders" from the ESC. Radio type doesn't matter.

Here is my Lunch Box with ESS One.

Also, there are many optional settings for different engines, short or stretched gears and different brake/skid sounds. It's pretty good!

• Like 1

On 28/03/2016 at 13:17, atom3624 said:

Nice bash.

Could have done with 4WD for the steps.

Magnetic attraction of the post at 1'50" nearly had you!!

Goes well.

Al.

Thanks. :) Yeah I know, the Lunch Box doesn't really come equipped to conquer the steps!

Ha, you're right!I didn't even notice that, before!

She's just running a 27t stock brushed motor, but it's the Trinity P2K Pro, which was a fantastic racing motor, back in the day. 2s lipo. ^_^

Edited by Praet0r87

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I need to buy some more screws and nuts for shock mounts, I've done the 5th shock mod and somehow am 2 screws and nuts short when putting the front ones back on.

Can I just buy these from any diy store, if the right size? looked on ebay and there are packs of 16mm in 2mm or 4mm diameter.

thanks,

Pez

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jason3249 said:

Looks like I'm coming back lol 

Just ordered a new lb should be here soon getting the time to build it is gonna be fun ;)

Good to see you again! Where have you been?

What lipos are you guys running in these? I have a ton of NIMH batteries but want to bung a lipo in. All my current 2S are too large in one way or another. I need something that will fit within the dimensions. That also means I can run them in my tanks :D

I use these:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-7.4v-55c-3250mah-lipo-sport-track-pack/rc-car-products/379011

But I needed the bar thing (photos 3 and 4) to be 3d printed, by a friend of mine. Didn't need the rest. See link:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:99406

Edited by Praet0r87

15 minutes ago, mond said:

What lipos are you guys running in these? I have a ton of NIMH batteries but want to bung a lipo in. All my current 2S are too large in one way or another. I need something that will fit within the dimensions. That also means I can run them in my tanks :D

this lipo fits without mods:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221180788891?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Works well with the lunchbox, as you don't have to remove the shell to take out the battery, you can just unplug battery side.

Also comes with a selection of wires to cut down on soldering if you change esc...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, sorry to break in a chat, but can anyone advise me about buying a RTR Tamiya, I really fancy the pick up, for health reasons cannot build, I love W/King etc and the Tamiya Pumpkin looks so good , also what surfaces can I run it on, with W/Chair, I need mostly grass, or road, and are spares available?

Sorry as I say for breaking in 

Thanks,

:wheelchair:

• 3 weeks later...

^ spares seem to be available from alot of places, i would buy a neo scorcher personally as it seems to be good value and comes with 4wd and cva ^

Hello everyone, i brought a lunchbox, that iconic model you lusted after as a kid..  well, i got it now!.   I brought it for my nephews, but , maybe i will keep it!, i brough them a neo-fighter to build from scratch (they are only 9/10/11)  i think that was a better model to start them on.   So, I have a question, the lunchbox i brought came assembled and it has a motor with some 'components' soldered to it,  my question is:   these components look like they have been soldered on by hand,  since the motor is not sold and superceeded i can find any information on it.     are the components soldered on to it correctly?.    I will be putting power throught it soon and i dont want to damage anything.
I am a total novice with RC.   picture of motor with components soldered on to it is shown below:

Untitled_zpssvcwzwn7.png

I added some oil shocks and 'fixed' the rear axle so it operates without the tilt/camber , more like a grasshopper.  i am not sure how this will pan out but i think it will drive better going on the reviews i have read. I can always remove the mod.

th_SANY0039_zps6casa11j.jpg

Edited by iamnotacomputer

On 09/07/2016 at 13:30, iamnotacomputer said:

^ spares seem to be available from alot of places, i would buy a neo scorcher personally as it seems to be good value and comes with 4wd and cva ^

Hello everyone, i brought a lunchbox, that iconic model you lusted after as a kid..  well, i got it now!.   I brought it for my nephews, but , maybe i will keep it!, i brough them a neo-fighter to build from scratch (they are only 9/10/11)  i think that was a better model to start them on.   So, I have a question, the lunchbox i brought came assembled and it has a motor with some 'components' soldered to it,  my question is:   these components look like they have been soldered on by hand,  since the motor is not sold and superceeded i can find any information on it.     are the components soldered on to it correctly?.    I will be putting power throught it soon and i dont want to damage anything.
I am a total novice with RC.   picture of motor with components soldered on to it is shown below:

Untitled_zpssvcwzwn7.png

I added some oil shocks and 'fixed' the rear axle so it operates without the tilt/camber , more like a grasshopper.  i am not sure how this will pan out but i think it will drive better going on the reviews i have read. I can always remove the mod.

th_SANY0039_zps6casa11j.jpg

Those are resistors, they help smooth the power transfer. Some motors suffer from severe glitching and/or cause radio interference without these. Leave them as is, they won't cause any harm. :)

Well, to be pedantic they are capacitors rather than resistors, but yes, they are there to stop the motor generating radio interference, and appear to be attached correctly. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm aC5 Tetraplegic, ( have functional deltoid and/or biceps musculature. Can internally rotate and abduct the shoulder, which causes forearm pronation (lowering) by gravity. Wrist flexion is similarly produced. I can externally rotate the shoulder and cause supination and wrist extension. I can bend the elbow, but elbow extension can only be produced by gravity, or by forceful horizontal abduction of the shoulder and inertia or shoulder external rotation.)

I use the screwdrivers in me teeth and wrestle the pieces of car around the desk with the little arm and wrist function i have. Pick the screws or any metal up with magnetic screwdriver. Need the odd bit of help. A vice on my desk helps for somethings. Takes hours to do even the slightest thing, but ultimately satisfying when done.

Hope you like it. ( I'm showing off really

OK. Got my modding head on again and modded the Pumpkin. Spent ages trying to get the front suspension right. tried one way but the wheels had a lot of flex in them. So bought yet more balls and rod end and turnbuckles. ( I could open a shop) then with fiddling got it better, But the wheels may catch the shocks on full lock. May need to limit turning on the Tx.

So what did i do? Added 2 more shocks. FX10 front conversion. Oil adjustable shocks all round. CSC shock braces (fibre-lyte.co.uk ) for front, rear, and 5th/6th shock plate in and under frame. Centred servo. Kimbrough Servo saver Medium. Aluminium front bumper. Bigger anti roll bar wheels. Aluminium rear shock lower mounts.

Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.958898667482425.1073741837.100000869017992&type=1&l=d4cdc377c0

14138712_1155182544520702_21238373217411

Edited by RibTickler
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, smenns said:

I have a midnight pumpkin and was wondering what oil shocks I should buy. Ideally I want some shocks that are easy to install and relatively in expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got Xtra Speed Aluminum  off ebay from rcmart.

I'm aC5 Tetraplegic, ( have functional deltoid and/or biceps musculature. Can internally rotate and abduct the shoulder, which causes forearm pronation (lowering) by gravity. Wrist flexion is similarly produced. I can externally rotate the shoulder and cause supination and wrist extension. I can bend the elbow, but elbow extension can only be produced by gravity, or by forceful horizontal abduction of the shoulder and inertia or shoulder external rotation.)

I use the screwdrivers in me teeth and wrestle the pieces of car around the desk with the little arm and wrist function i have. Pick the screws or any metal up with magnetic screwdriver. Need the odd bit of help. A vice on my desk helps for somethings. Takes hours to do even the slightest thing, but ultimately satisfying when done.

Hope you like it. ( I'm showing off really

OK. Got my modding head on again and modded the Pumpkin. Spent ages trying to get the front suspension right. tried one way but the wheels had a lot of flex in them. So bought yet more balls and rod end and turnbuckles. ( I could open a shop) then with fiddling got it better, But the wheels may catch the shocks on full lock. May need to limit turning on the Tx.

So what did i do? Added 2 more shocks. FX10 front conversion. Oil adjustable shocks all round. CSC shock braces (fibre-lyte.co.uk ) for front, rear, and 5th/6th shock plate in and under frame. Centred servo. Kimbrough Servo saver Medium. Aluminium front bumper. Bigger anti roll bar wheels. Aluminium rear shock lower mounts.

Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.958898667482425.1073741837.100000869017992&type=1&l=d4cdc377c0

14138712_1155182544520702_2123837321741145436_o.jpg

That's nice looks like a monster truck I am getting a monster truck soon can't wait I usually run petrol I have a Fg Marder but some times I have been out bashing and something has broke so I decided to get a monster truck as a spare Basher I am going to order it when we are away on holiday I shall buy it two days before we get back so I will be in the electric section as well now.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while guys!

Hope everyone is good and having fun with their lunchies!

Havent had mine out in ages and tonight i decided to get her out and give it a check over. I have discovered that i think the servo and servo saver need replacing for something of better quality rather than stock tamiya as when i push left and right there is a horrible squeaking noise and the rods attached to the servo move and the screw moves too.

Is running anything other than stock or can recommend anything?

Also looking at upgrading the RC gear to 2.4Ghz are there any decent combos?

and finally new wheels and tyres!

any suggestions on all of the above would be great

Cheers

Edited by Mansnake