• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

I did put these on the gallery when I first joined and was told they might be better posted in the "Vintage" area but I figured here was a good spot. Excuse the poor photos (instamatic)

The green/yellow is a late 80's project that just kept evolving, the Pumpkin was early 2000.

31176833.jpg

31177398.jpg

31177928.jpg

60916961.jpg

60916964.jpg

• Like 3

Thankfully he did, couldn't take some sound advice ;)

Some people can't noj I gave a guy some sound advice today who tryd to push me out the way in his tipper. I think he took it well as soon got out of my way and I'm sure he won't be doing it again well at least not to me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just joined the forum.  Can I join the Lunchbox/Pumpkin OC too ?  Bought my Pumpkin at least 25 years ago, thrashed it, rebuilt it, thrashed it again and it's been hanging up in the garage for the last 15 years. Getting back into it again now.  Will put a pic up soon.

Does the Unimog count too ?  Always loved 'em, I couldn't decide between the Crawler and the CrossCountry versions, then they released it on the LB/Pumpkin chassis and my decision was easy !  It's still in its box for now though.

Can't believe I've never owned a Lunchbox yet.

Im looking for better servo saver and Anyone centred their servo?  or use much smaller servo (mini/micro servo?) for lunch so I don't have to hack my chassis up. 

ho ho ho guys. I am new here. Just bought the Pumpkin . Can anyone advise how to change to Lunchbox bodyshell? 

what need where to buy. existing plastic body mount broken last week. wanna find flexi lunchbox bodyshell for bashing and fpv.

thanks

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/parma-pse-1-12-lunch-box-tamiya-clear-body/rc-car-products/26786

As for body mounts, you're best bet is probably eBay for some alloy mounts. You can make some up that have a bit give in them as the alloy ones can damage the chassis in a heavy crash but you should be fine if you're using a lexan shell.

Hello there Lunchbox people. The delightlful MsBom bought me a Lunchbox for my birthday a while ago, so I set about putting it together.

DSCF7751_zps6427a6ea.jpg

DSCF7755_zpse84e2ff1.jpg

Only mods are some metal bearings so far. I will be swapping the shocks and adding a 5th one soon. I may go for a wishbone upgrade later on. I have purchased a few other bits too.

I have a question to ask. I have bought this battery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Z4LJC0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I bought this charger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360887591601?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Ihave realised that this charger is no good and I need a better one. I'm thinking of this one.

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/carson-peak-detect-2a-charger

Or this one.

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/carson-peak-detect-4a-charger

Are either of these what I need? Or am Ibarking up the wrong tree?

Brilliant forum, brilliant thread. I read the whole thread this evening and have bookmarked at least ten pages of it for future referance.

Keep up the good work.

Hello guys, my name is Daniel, I'm 30yrs old, from Romania and i just joined this forum especially for this thread.

I've been in RC for some years now, my LB being the first true RC model i bought, about 3 years ago. Came across some videos on youtube of it, saw the "essential mods" videos as well and i couldn't resist it, i just had to have it.

The very first upgrade was to put ball bearings all around. Here's my Lunchy in it's early days, with one of the first mods i've done to it... snow chains:

TamiyaLB_zpsa9a7d25c.jpg

Since then this lil' truck has been used and abused, bashed around, experimented on, improved in some ways, but has always managed to put a smile on my face every time i used it.

Next... I put a light kit and radio controlled swithc for the lights, to operate them with my 3rd chanel on the remote, 5.8 amps lipo in it and i get more than 1 hour run-time with every charge.

TamiyaLB1_zps2dc88f9a.jpg

TamiyaLB2_zps65674032.jpg

I remember once i tried putting a brushless setup in it (3000+ kv, or so) it was craaazy fast, did standing backflips, but i realized it took out all the fun of it being a LunchBox, so i returned to the stock electronics.  The silver can is still going strong after all these years of abuse.

Upgrades and mods continued, it now has Gmade piggyback shocks (cause of the adjustable pressure setting option for when i use it onroad and offroad), 5th shock mod, Gmade rear axle brace, front chassis brace (which doubles as body mount), home made body mounts, aluminum rear hubs...

Here are the most recent pics:

DSC_0105_zpsa3214a7e.jpg

DSC_0106_zps8465984c.jpg

DSC_0107_zpsc32c124e.jpg

DSC_0108_zps38a5810f.jpg

As you may see, i need a new transmission housing, cause i landed some jumps on the wheelie bar and it snapped off. I also snapped one rear body mount, but that will be sorted out today.

The body is also beaten up very bad, and i've never came arround to paint it cause i knew this was gonna be a basher and i'd have been sorry for the paint job

One interesting mod, and i've not heard of many people doing it, i discovered by accident when i glued my tires on: on the front rims i put some glue in those holes on the inside of the rims, just let a couple of holes open and i noticed this helps with big jumps, i mean it acts a bit more like an air cushion, the air not being able to escape from the tires so fast.... helps with the wheels not cracking as well.

Now, i want to thank you for taking the time to read all this and also ask you a few questions:

i've noticed the motor starts to heat up quite a bit; ive cleaned it, gave it a good wash and lube, i put a heatsink on it but even so it still gets quite hot. Could this be a sign of the brushes wearing out, or... what ?

I'm looking at buying the BZ motor, i understand that's the best one for the Lunchy, out of the 3: BZ, TZ and RZ. Will that work with the TEU-105 esc that i have? Does anyone know the amp draw of that motor ?

And last, i'd like to go for the CRP FX-10 front conversion. Besides that kit that i can get off ebay, is there anything else in particular that i'll need to buy? Like other knuckles, anything like that ?

Thank in advance guys, cheers.

Discovered that LB wheels and acetone don't mix....well, after 36hours they mix into a yellow sludge, which is neither pleasant nor of any use. Been after some black rims, this is my excuse for buying some....now, to remove the last bit of rim from the tyre.....acetone anyone?? ;)

Mi LB, with brand spanking new rims  :thumbsup:  Runs an etronix probe 15t wp esc, firebolt 15t can, schumacher foams and has front leds fitted. Absima shocks serving me well thus far, gone 45wt in the fifth shock, feels a bit too firm, or have I missed the point??

LB1_zpsa5e0a3a5.jpg

LB2_zps44c8e43b.jpg

perhaps a wheelie bar should be re-instated... :whistling:

LB3_zps181c1fb9.jpg

• Like 1

Can't see your pics, because the proxy internet server on this ship blocks photobucket, or something.

But I assume you've done well! :tease:

5th shock feels firmer on mine too, but remember the weird-ass design means the rear shocks are working when they're extending on the LB/MP/Hornet/Grasshopper, more than when they're compressing... unlike on every other RC model ever made! You won't overwhelm the rear shocks with a stiffer 5th shock. If anything, you'll help prevent the rear shocks from locking open, allowing them to function.

Edited by Praet0r87

Reasonably well, shell was painted matt black when I purchased it, was going to touch it up, 'til i ran it and realised there was no point  :xd:

5th shock stays as it is then, need to see how much the foams improve bounce, if any....but the buggers are glued in now, so they're staying, regardless :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

little non update.

I have been collecting parts for the bits box pumpkin and found some nice bits that I forgot about that are no longer available, a new set of Tamiya 2.2 2wd rims to go with the flat irons I had on the shelf, I have yet to put the Orion 19t and the sidewinder 2 esc in the chassis the shell has been mod'ed and primed and guide coated

I also managed to locate a alternative wheelie bar and made a start on stripping my old LB shell for a repaint

yet to find a place to make up the axle brace plates that don't want silly money to do them

bout time i added mine to the thread,

had a few select mods, alloy front knuckles, frog rear hex adaptors, alloy heatsink, axial scx10 shocks, custom front shock brace and tamiya stadium blitzer wheels and tyres.

mytamiys3614012_zps9c11b143.jpg

mytamiys3614011_zpsc6f42168.jpg

mytamiys3614013_zps81bfde72.jpg

Yeah mate, front go straight on and rear need those frog hex adapters. Makes tyre choices a little easier being 2.2 size and now it steers and gets traction with those tyres.....

• Like 1