• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

Been reading this thread for ages as I get around to building a Savage XS. Just wanted to say thanks to all the inputs, hints & tips in one place...picked up so many pointers around weak points, recommendations and even a colour scheme :-)

The kit has been sat in my garage since Xmas while I got all the bits together (and got side tracked a few times) but finally finished the build and the body this week. It's my first 'modern' car after getting back into things in a fit of nostalgia last year and very impressed at how solid it feels. Only been out for a little while to test it but can't wait to get it out for a proper run. Not sure I'll bash it as hard as some of the videos & pictures I've seen but will definitely give it a go! 

savage_130526.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone running any different shells ? Apart from STD or the pick up/jeep ?

As the wheelbase is 225mm I was thinking of trying to fit the HPI Datsun or HPI BMW 2002 shells.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-datsun-510-body-wb225mm.f0-r3mm-/rc-car-products/32857

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-bmw-2002-turbo-body-wb225mm.f0-r0mm-/rc-car-products/38912

Its a punt with body posts but was wondering if anyones done it already or has any thoughts ?

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone on here still running the Savage XS SS?

I was looking on the new HPI site and spotted HPI are now selling HD diff/cup/gear shafts which was one of the main wear area's on these wee trucks.

Now HPI needs to make HD diff gears too which would sort the truck out a bit.

Is anyone on here still running the Savage XS SS?

I was looking on the new HPI site and spotted HPI are now selling HD diff/cup/gear shafts which was one of the main wear area's on these wee trucks.

Now HPI needs to make HD diff gears too which would sort the truck out a bit.

They should supply them out of the box imho and send a free set to all the owners who've spent a fair few quid on the original parts..
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy but I'm back  :xd:

I was a offered a brand new HPI Savage XS SS at a price I just couldn't refuse, I regret selling the one I had before, it was one of the most fun rc's I've owned once I had sorted a few reliability issues with it. I'll be going a slightly different direction with this one  :thumbsup:

1070098_10151717395500210_583922899_n.jp

Call me crazy but I'm back  :xd:

I was a offered a brand new HPI Savage XS SS at a price I just couldn't refuse, I regret selling the one I had before, it was one of the most fun rc's I've owned once I had sorted a few reliability issues with it. I'll be going a slightly different direction with this one  :thumbsup:

1070098_10151717395500210_583922899_n.jp

Sweet less chat more building  :thumbsup: , that reminds me i need to get a new chassis for mine as i snapped it doing insane jumps  :whistling: , welcome back to a small work space  :yes:

Sweet less chat more building  :thumbsup: , that reminds me i need to get a new chassis for mine as i snapped it doing insane jumps  :whistling: , welcome back to a small work space  :yes:

I've already built most of it already, just waiting on some more parts to complete the build  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

TDK, your old one is a cracking little machine, just about to be treated to the hardened center diff cups, a set of the updated rpm cvd`s and a rear upright set.

I do jump sessions with it most weeks, hitting distances of 6-9m and 2.5 high, but landing on a nice layer of woodchip. 3s gives a nice bit of rotational control in the air.

• Like 1

TDK, your old one is a cracking little machine, just about to be treated to the hardened center diff cups, a set of the updated rpm cvd`s and a rear upright set.

I do jump sessions with it most weeks, hitting distances of 6-9m and 2.5 high, but landing on a nice layer of woodchip. 3s gives a nice bit of rotational control in the air.

It was a little beast, really regretted selling it which is why I have bought another  :thumbsup: Glad it is still going strong for you, I put alot of time into it getting it to stay as reliable as it could. I should hopefully have my new one running soon, just waiting on a soldering iron to arrive plus a fe other bits n bobs, can't wait  :xd:

any pics or vids mate ? , i need to pull mine out of retirement and repair it  :yes: , new chassis is defiantly in order along with a few other bits and bobs most probably 

take a look at this edit i made with my xs a few months back

any pics or vids mate ? , i need to pull mine out of retirement and repair it  :yes: , new chassis is defiantly in order along with a few other bits and bobs most probably 

take a look at this edit i made with my xs a few months back

This is the only photo  I still have of my old one:

563928_10151750012025210_1008710879_n.jp

My new one still isn't running, I'm still waiting on wheels/tyres, a wheelie bar and pins for the driveshafts. I also need to decide on a motor/esc combo, I was going to using a sensored combo out of my old buggy but I've bought another buggy so the combo has gone into that. Once it's running, I'll be making a video  :thumbsup:

I could do with new tyres on mine as they have unglued and are wearing really bad and yeah the pins in the hexes are a pain in the arse 

wp sc8 for the esc and a 4000kv motor is what most people run , luckily for me the stock motor is still going strong  :thumbsup:

i need to get mine running again but atm funds are putting a hold on that  :yucky:

where did you get them blue wheelnuts from and what size are they ?

I could do with new tyres on mine as they have unglued and are wearing really bad and yeah the pins in the hexes are a pain in the arse 

wp sc8 for the esc and a 4000kv motor is what most people run , luckily for me the stock motor is still going strong  :thumbsup:

i need to get mine running again but atm funds are putting a hold on that  :yucky:

where did you get them blue wheelnuts from and what size are they ?

That's HPI Ground Assault tyres I had, I'm going to try Hot Bodies power pins on my new one with Proline closed cell inserts.

I'll probably end up using my SC8-WP esc and get a 4000kv motor, it's all you really need in these.

What's up with your one just now?

I bought the blue wheel nuts from "The Toyz":

http://thetoyz.com/Traxxas/1-10-Rally-Car/Antenna-post-Misc/The-Toyz/17336/

how did you find the ground assaults's ? and yeah agreed you don't want anything more than a 4000kv 

mine only needs a new chassis but whilst its apart im thinking of treating it to some hd transmission cups as the stock ones are pretty worn and some new wheel nuts as the stock ones look plain.

also i was looking at the adjustable uppers arms as the toe in on the back is making the inside of my wheels wear down

cheers for the link i will have a look , will any 4mm nuts work then im guessing ?

The Ground Assaults where awesome, I had them in D compound.

I'll be replacing my centre drive cups too once I've worn out the stock ones.

As for the toe/steering links, these are awesome:

You want 3 of these http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=32003

You want 1 of these http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=16007

If you go on You Tube and search mydoddy, he has a good video on fitted the above :thumbsup:

Yeah any 4mm nut will work but ideally you want flanged ones.

I have been looking at them for a while and quite liked them , i think that's the next tyre upgrade 

mine are pretty worn atm so i think they need replacing when i take it apart 

cheers for the link i will save them to my favourites and order them when i have some spare funds  :thumbsup:

brill i will keep my eye out for some 4mm nuts 

the xs section is in action again  :hahadance:

• Like 1

Hiya ladies gents and those undecided :D

Im seriously considering the savage xs ss as a first time (in a long time anyway) rc basher - is this a bright idea?

Ive been reading through and seen a number of posts listing the weak points (namely pins) - so i was wondering, given this will be a kit, I may as well do what i can from the outset n make it more reliable so what im asking (when i get to the point)

What should i get to complete the kit - I only want to ever run 2S cells if that helps

Also, I hate the standard XS body shells, am I right in thinking I could in theory use almost any 1/10 scale body shell?

I also plan on getting the t-bone front n rear bumpers with wheely bar for it too ;)

Cheers folks :)

EDIT - forgot to say id rather get EVERYTHING for the initial build from one place ie wheelspin, modelspots et al - oh and soft screw heads, what should i get as a good alternative ?

Edited by tnuol

Hiya ladies gents and those undecided :D

Im seriously considering the savage xs ss as a first time (in a long time anyway) rc basher - is this a bright idea?

Ive been reading through and seen a number of posts listing the weak points (namely pins) - so i was wondering, given this will be a kit, I may as well do what i can from the outset n make it more reliable so what im asking (when i get to the point)

What should i get to complete the kit - I only want to ever run 2S cells if that helps

Also, I hate the standard XS body shells, am I right in thinking I could in theory use almost any 1/10 scale body shell?

I also plan on getting the t-bone front n rear bumpers with wheely bar for it too ;)

Cheers folks :)

EDIT - forgot to say id rather get EVERYTHING for the initial build from one place ie wheelspin, modelspots et al - oh and soft screw heads, what should i get as a good alternative ?

My first advice would be to read through all of this thread, there is alot of good information in it. The XS isn't for everyone, but there are a few like myself who love the XS. It is a fun truck when it's going  :xd:

If you are going for one, I'd definitely go for the XS SS version as it has a few nice hop-ups out of the box, cvd's and suspension. The only other essential items I'd get is the HPI wheelie bar and t-bones front and rear.

To make the kit more reliable, I'd get these HPI pins for the driveshafts, I've found them to last much longer than stock but do still occasionally break them:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=370614

It may also be worth considering getting the new HD centre drive cups as these are prone to wearing quite fast, I haven't tried these yet, I'll be wearing out the stock ones first them upgrading to the HD ones.

If you want the kit to last, only running on 2S is the way to go, something like the Hobbywing SC8-WP 120a esc and 4000kv combo would be ideal. I'm going for this set-up in my latest build:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOBBYWING-EZRUN-3656-4000KV-RC-Brushless-Motor-WP-SC8-120A-ESC-Combo-ME178-/261242556163?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3cd3450f03

You can't run any 1/10 body shells, the XS is 1/14th scale, I personally love the stock shell but each your own  :thumbsup:

Edited by The Dark Knight

Anyh recommendations for Servo; Radio Gear (Tx & Rx); Batteries (2s Lipos); and tyres (I want a set for tarmac and another for off road) -

also, are the stock wheel hubs ok or should i be aiming to upgrade them from the outset?

any other upgrades suggestions welcome (already know about the turnbucks)

Beside the wp-sc8 combo, what other esc motor combos are good in this kit?  Im not too happy ordering from Hing kong for something costing near

Edited by tnuol

It all depends on your budget really.

I'd go for this servo:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-high-performance-race-servo-high-torque-/rc-car-products/359784

For batteries, get yourself onto Hobbyking and get some 2S Nanotech's, if you read through this thread you'll see what people are/where running.

For tyres, a good all round tyre is the HPI Ground Assault in D compound.

For radio gear, depends if you are a stick guy or a wheel guy, I'm personally a stick guy so went for this radio: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-code-2.4ghz-3-channel-fhss-lcd-stick-combo/rc-car-products/38217 It has a load of useful features and has a 15 model memory.

The stock hubs are ok but do have a bit of slop in them but are fine.

Nothing wrong with ordering from Hong Kong.

Well - looks like im in the club - as in ive just bought a preloved XS from Presto :D

I know its not a kit but im sure i'll get to grips with it fairly soon

Ive also ordered online from giant shark www.giantshark.co.uk (seem well priced) a lipo charger

http://www.giantshar...o-ni-mh-battery

2 lipos Gens 5300mAh 7.4v 2S1P 65C hardcase pack

http://www.giantshar...c-hardcase-pack

and a couple of lipo storage bags (33 each on same site :yes: )

Also ordered a set of F&R t-bone bumpers plus tgheir wheelie bar to match :)

Cheers folks - im still reading through the rest of this thread too :whistling:

Took mine out today after a few weeks on the shelf...it is fun, but wish I had more room at home to really let it fly

Also ordered a TBR front bumper. Most of my damage so far has been to the front suspension so hopefully it will help a little