• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project Sausage Drone

Oh lovely name there!

maybe we should do a deal with your dad's chippy to do deliveries for him. Sausages and saveloys delivered to your door- they'll hit the door hard and splat there, but at least they got there fast.

seriously though yeah delivery i envisage being a drop over the target with a little parachute on the sausage, so the guy receiving can chase the sausage down (ideally catch it of course but that's probably stretching possibility) and eat it there.

i would have thought most types of sausage would be suitable though I will probably start with your standard banger as a test payload, or possibly a chipolata as they're lighter.

looks like i've got to work this weekend so another lost opportunity for R&D. DAMMIT.

Just had a thought for a video, A guy sits down (in a park maybe) & is eating a portion of chips but discovers he has no sausage. He then dials 0800 Fast sausage & your drone with sausage delivers at 100mph & he catches it in his bag of chips, he takes a bite smiles at the camera & shouts "Justice at last" or just "Sausage drone".

or sausages

dont know if you guys will remember that 1 was a dog on tv that got famous for saying sausages it was the esther rantzen thats life show or something lol

• 1 month later...

Finally got the drone back in the air yesterday with its new power system. It flies! Wheee! It now sports a turnigy 3648 1450kv motor rated at 1600 watts with 2 turnigy nanotech 45-90c 5000 mah 3s lipos in series to give it 6 cells, spinning a 6x4 prop through a 100 amp ESC.

It's heavy but it got airborne with no problems. It is definitely much happier going fast than slow- it's precise at speed but sluggish at lower speeds, due to the weight.

Oh my GOSH this thing is fast! That motor on 6s is AWESOME! I have no idea how fast it goes, I didn't really give it a chance on its first outing. I'll give it a go and try and get a speed on it soon. It is seriously quick though. A bit scary too, frankly.

• 2 months later...

nah it's good as ever. i built it very strong, seems to be paying off. i've needed to put a couple of bits of CF strip in to fix cracks in the main CF spar, and poured some gorilla glue and thin CA in to gaps between the foam sheets where they have very slightly delaminated after the big crashes but that's it.

the foam sheets are laminated together with carpet tape, which adds strength. it's got balsa leading and trailing edges and a big CF square section tube spar across the wing. Strapping tape and then laminating film covering.

The thing is practically unbreakable!

So when will the orders for sausage commence?

I need to work out the autopilot next!

Which means I've got to get my UHF long range control system sorted first, as I don;t trust the cheapo orange rx at all any more - loose connections after the big crash caused subsequent crashes, plus if it flies off a bit under autopilot i want to make sure i'm still able to fly it back!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...