• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheaper bodyshells (anyone interested?

Oh How Original

....I've just had a quick browse through your thread with interest as I have made shells using a vacuum former I have access to at work.

It ain't as easy as it looks mate......and that is using an industrial vac former!! Points of warning/problems are:

1, Not all shells are formed over a one piece mould, some are 2 or even three piece, that is why shells are the price they are....its not just profit and the price of a bit of lexan.......its all about the machining/production of the master mould.

2, Plaster of paris moulds may be good for one or two shells but it is not strong enough and will chip etc with repetitive use.

3, The thickness of the lexan (polycarb) is vital....depending on the depth, length, size of shell.....the plastic obviously stretches during the forming process so your shell thickness will vary throughout the form...thats why all rc car shells have vulnerable areas that split.

4, Heating plastic=fumes.............be carefull!!

I could go on......I realise I am being a tad negative but I have made shells for 3 different models and it is VERY time consuming and takes quite a lot of experimentation with all parts of the process.......so I just wanted to advice you to not start taking orders just yet.

good luck

also...just watched the linked video with the home made vac former and I assure you that there is no way using a set up like that you will have enough suction/ air seal to form a deep RC car shell......the sample "spider"is very thin, a car form is so much deeper.....that set up would not touch the sides.

I'm not even going to go near the issue of heating polycarb in an oven.....!!

Oh no I'm under no illusions that it's a guaranteed thing and one day will be am multi million pound business lol.

This thread is merely to guage interest, because if their was absolutely nobody interested what so ever, then I know of a different way to do shells for myself which is a lot easier, but wouldn't want to try doing more than a couple.

And no, mine won't be going anywhere near my oven.

I also realise some moulds are from several pieces, if you read one of my other posts it explains my solution, although I do have at least two tricks up my sleeve for every bridge I come to.

So hopefully it will work, although I know it's going to be time consuming, but hopefully well worth it in the end.

And don't worry about being negative, I want all opinions and stuff, this is by no means some kind of thread for taking peoples orders... Just to guage if theirs any interest for it.

If your jobless why not add a couple of quid to the price so you have some income? I'm sure no one would begrudge you money for your time!

I could do, I mean the price isn't 100% fixed at the moment as I'm still talking with people about getting plastic as cheaply as possible, but I know what it's like to be skint, so don't want to overcharge people, but if I set a price, and they send me more, then that's up to them :) I'm quite happy to just make

Was going to try with something smaller, but their isn't really much point, as I'll still have to order a full sheet of plastic, so instead of using it just to "test" on little parts, I may as well just go full scale with it (well full RC body scale) and if it works it works, if not, it was worth a shot, at least then I have a chance of making something I can use properly, rather than just a new spoiler.

I need a few new 1/10th spoilers ;)

I need a few new 1/10th spoilers ;)

In order to do something like that, you'd have to send me the spoiler you have, and I'd somehow make a mould from it, then send you back your original with the ones I'd made.

I'd never thought of making spoilers and things, but I guess I could... I was actually going to do a series of wide body kits and things for on-road stuff, but that's way in the future lol, I have a hell of a lot of ideas going round at the moment! :lol:

As long as you aren't selling these on eBay, I'd imagine you being able to avoid licensing laws. However a company is bound to have a representative on the forum who sees this and phones the rozzers!

Just to be safe, why not add a little air scoop or other distinguishing feature to your shells?

Well they are going to be 1-2mm shorter than normal, because the moulds will be from the insides... So they aren't exactly the same, but also, the idea I had was to put things on them, like for mine I'm going to make some letters out of cardboard, and sit them on the bonnet of the mould, so the letters are actually "etched" (if thats the right word for it) into the plastic... Which will certainly be different... And I don't know of anyone else ever having done this either.

They also won't be sold as "Traxxas Slash shells" it will be "clear home made shell, to suit Traxxas Slash" etc... I don't think their is anything anyone could do then....