• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheaper bodyshells (anyone interested?

Oh How Original

PLEASE READ BEFORE READING THREAD: The shells I make will in no way be 100% copies of the originals, they will be fairly different, I am aware of copyright laws, and done plenty of reading up about it, this is in no way shape or form illegal, these shells will be custom to me, but merely based SIZE WISE on existing shells.

Just been toying with the idea of making a DIY Vacuum Forming machine, and making bodyshells for myself, my uncle and my cousins hypers, as they often get knackered fairly easily, then wondered if anyone on here would actually buy one?

They would be made from either 0.5mm-1mm thick clear sheets and formed to any bodyshell you want (if I can't get a copy you may have to send me one of your sheels to make a mould out of)

They would be cheaper than shops new, but this would be non profit and just to help people who can't always afford

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 1

You probably wont have much sucess forming straight over a current shell as you need a draft for the formed shell to come off (otherwise itll have to be cut off and you risk damaging the old and new shells), ideally you need to make a mould of it and go from there although this isn't terribly hard. Homemade vac formers arent hard to make so its certainloy worth a go! I am making one this summer :) what material are you thinking of using?

You would make an absolute MINT even if you only done Hyper 7 shells to be honest!!! Guaranteed you would get plenty of customers!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dec
  • Like 2

Yeah I know I would need to make moulds, but I have a few shells here, and I can use my uncles brand new hyper shell to make hyper ones.

I have seen they aren't actually too difficult to make in terms of making the vacuum former, but it looks pretty daunting to most I would imagine.

And to be honest, it's really not for profit, I'd probably make about 50p per shell I sold if that, I just like a challenge, and I'm bored lol!

Chances are they wouldn't come painted though as it then leaves it up to the new owner if they want to paint one, plus my uncle just pointed out he'd like to have one clear so he can see the servos and stuff working inside which is a neat idea.

+1 for the hyper 7 shell's. would be even better if you could make them without the cut out ( engine and fuel tank) for brushless users, as finding shells without cut outs for the hyper is really rare :thumbsup: i think you would get alot of customers this way :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Any model of buggy that shells aren't made for anymore, especially ones that were originally nitro converted to brushless is where the money is mate and Hyper 7's there is a huge demand, you only need to check this forum alone to find the amount of people that have Hyper 7's that they have converted to brushless and that are screaming out for uncut shells! Was thinking of doing it myself as I already have the JConcepts Illuzions Hyper 7 shell so could get a decent mould off of that but I just dont have the time really

What sort of shells would you make though? Just hyper or....

There are a lot of 8ight-T owners

+1 for the hyper 7 shell's. would be even better if you could make them without the cut out ( engine and fuel tank) for brushless users, as finding shells without cut outs for the hyper is really rare :thumbsup: i think you would get alot of customers this way :thumbsup:

+ 1 for no cut outs

Yeah I know I would need to make moulds, but I have a few shells here, and I can use my uncles brand new hyper shell to make hyper ones.

I have seen they aren't actually too difficult to make in terms of making the vacuum former, but it looks pretty daunting to most I would imagine.

And to be honest, it's really not for profit, I'd probably make about 50p per shell I sold if that, I just like a challenge, and I'm bored lol!

Chances are they wouldn't come painted though as it then leaves it up to the new owner if they want to paint one, plus my uncle just pointed out he'd like to have one clear so he can see the servos and stuff working inside which is a neat idea.

thats not a bad idea of leaving the shell clear, you can see everything going on inside without taking the shell off, kudos to your uncle :thumbsup:

Sorry I should have added more information.

Okay they will be made from either 1.5mm or 2mm thick clear plastic (2.5mm for large scale stuff).

I'll be able to make pretty much ANY shell that was ever available... Although they won't come with accessories, like if I made a Land Rover one, it wouldn't come with fog lights and all that snazzy stuff.

Also yes I'll be doing Losi ones, anything for brushless (as I'll be running brushless myself) and Hypers... Anything people want really.

I think, given the costs of the sheets that I'm currently looking at, and things, they will be about

Sorry I should have added more information.

Okay they will be made from either 1.5mm or 2mm thick clear plastic (2.5mm for large scale stuff).

I'll be able to make pretty much ANY shell that was ever available... Although they won't come with accessories, like if I made a Land Rover one, it wouldn't come with fog lights and all that snazzy stuff.

Also yes I'll be doing Losi ones, anything for brushless (as I'll be running brushless myself) and Hypers... Anything people want really.

I think, given the costs of the sheets that I'm currently looking at, and things, they will be about

For 15 quid Ill have one... Defo

Then if you wish to have them painted you could go to Outlaw graphics

Yeah I'm pretty sure it'll be around that, won't be more anyway.

If I can get a regular "supplier" of sheet plastic I may actually be able to do them cheaper, I just can't afford to order anything in great bulk at the moment to cut costs down.

I'm going to go to B&Q tomorrow and price up all the wood I'd need to make the thing.

And yeah, people can buy sticker sets and things off eBay for a couple of quid, and a tiny can of black spray paint isn't much, but I think I'd keep mine clear to be honest, because at these kinds of prices, I'd be going through them like nobodies business bashing lol!

Yep I will be using leccy so none will have cut out, although for nitro users, I could give them guides to where the cut outs need to be, but will leave it up to them.

As the moulds will be made from plaster of paris, I'll easily be able to mould all sorts also, like if someone has wide wheels and wanted a slightly wider shell (provided it's not wider than my machine) then I'll be able to custom make them one (probably be a tiny bit more expensive)

When you say plastic, do you mean normal plastic sheet or Lexan? For 1/8th shells I think they are 500 micron Lexan (0.5mm), like this http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a136e4b8d, might be easier to vacuum form without any real loss in strength with Lexan, might be wrong on that though! :unsure:

Edited by Dec

i,d have a hyper 8 if you did one of them,

beware of copyright laws though mate, you might be wise making a very minor alteration to the shells to avoid any issues, maybe 1mm of the length or it would probably be easier to tame 1mm off the depth, 1mm wont make any difference to fit or appearance,

you could be set to make an fair few quid from this little venture mate if you manage it, also advertise on other rc forums, and you'd sell alot on ebay, the amount of times ive searched for shells to fit bl buggies is ridiculous, and i am sure im not the only one

Edited by dazj10