• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

7 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

A new message from the carnage man  lol   I have finally fitted the 2an motor and done the esc and it's all working 

Things left to finishe 

Wait for new upper plate to arrive bought today . 

Arrival of battery tray back order ..

Then  bash time and post the crazy vid as I had a drive forward last night and it seems fast . 

One thing 

Does anyone know the bounch strength of the carnage shocks and what shock are stronger   iv changed the oil but still bit soft  cheers 

hardness of the suspension depends mostly on the spring. With oil you set the damping.

I use the 400cst oil and it works ok with stock springs

did you completely dissasemble the shocks? I had a problem some time ago on the carnage that on one of the rear shocks e-clip felt of, resulting in absolutely no damping of the shock, as the piston was no more connected to the shaft...

Edited by zlab

Hi I'm not sure I'll have to check but off the top I think 500  .I have a look when iget home . 

I need more spring more push buck up .as iv added a bit more weight to the car   I need more lift 

Is there a guild to how much spring Bounce  resistance shocks/ springs  have . 

5 minutes ago, zlab said:

hardness of the suspension depends mostly on the spring. With oil you set the damping.

I use the 400cst oil and it works ok with stock springs

did you completely dissasemble the shocks? I had a problem some time ago on the carnage that on one of the rear shocks e-clip felt of, resulting in absolutely no damping of the shock, as the piston was no more connected to the shaft...

Hi . Yea if been messing with my shocks as I had problems with a brand new car i bought there was no oil in the shocks at all as it leaked out   so now I check them . 

As i said  due to the car being hevery than stock I need more lift and heavy lift than stock . 

But I dont want mega expensive ones  I guess hobbywing make type shocks  before anyone says   lol 

17 minutes ago, Redback said:

No hobbywing dont make shocks, you should just need some stronger rate spings, I use 1/8th scale hobao buggy springs, they fit on the shocks just fine.

Cheers . M8 . There is was about to buy a hobbywing too    lol 

I’ve just given my shock an overhaul. Completely stripped down and cleaned. 
min the process I discovered a slightly bent piston so straightened it again before reconstructing after watching countless videos on how best to do it.

I used original springs but 50wt oil. Haven’t had a chance to test it ‘on the road’ as waiting for other parts still, but I have noticed an improvement with the car just standing still. Much better rebound now and freed up all the joints that are meant to allow movement in the suspension arms at the same time. 
the car rests about 2/3 full height of dampers, which I’m pretty happy with, and there’s plenty of adjustment left to increase the ride height if needed.

4 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Yea its 500 oil I have . 

mine is 650cst, 50 wt. A little thicker than yours. I was hoping that this will help absorb some of the shock on impact, as before with the original 30wt the shocks were bottoming out with the springs wound right down. The car used to be bouncy but with little dampening - hope I haven't sent it the other way 🙏

Hi guys   I need some info on the 20A esc on the carnage    will 2 of these take a 3s lipo battery . 

Its for the !! mega carnage !! It's time to power it . So I need to know if any you guys uses a 3s lupo on the brushed carnage 20A esc   as it's now two 20A esc  so is it now a 40A  ???? Plz replies as soon as you can as I need to see about buying the battery off here .  Cheers 

@Iain .R I wouldn't recommend it mate. I don't think those will handle 3s at all. They might die instantly when you plug in the battery. Just run 2s for now and upgrade to at least a 60A ESC, preferably 80A, if you want to run 3S reliably.

• Thanks 1

indeed and to add afaik thats not how it works 2x 20amp escs connected to diffrent motors is still a 20a esc

dont connect your escs motor leads together to increase the power. But keep having fun tinkering and experimenting, looking forward to seeing the "mega carnage"

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, James.S said:

@Iain .R I wouldn't recommend it mate. I don't think those will handle 3s at all. They might die instantly when you plug in the battery. Just run 2s for now and upgrade to at least a 60A ESC, preferably 80A, if you want to run 3S reliably.

I'm still working on funds to get a single esc which will be more A I cant remember what one it is . But the 2 i have are just spears .

48 minutes ago, Redback said:

indeed and to add afaik thats not how it works 2x 20amp escs connected to diffrent motors is still a 20a esc

dont connect your escs motor leads together to increase the power. But keep having fun tinkering and experimenting, looking forward to seeing the "mega carnage"

Hi as for the 2 esc  just reading it now it was like   doh really ?????  As it's still one esc one motor   . 

Iv used a Y spliter to run both esc out of the reciver . I just taken out one red cable on one esc . The both wheels run and steers  

I just have to turn on two   on/off switches . I was going to join both on /off switch together   but I turned the back wheels off and just had front wheel drive and it was like drift car on the kitchen floor  lol      

Just taken 20mins to get the marks out the wood flooring.  But  almost all gone now . 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Hi as for the 2 esc  just reading it now it was like   doh really ?????  As it's still one esc one motor   . 

Iv used a Y spliter to run both esc out of the reciver . I just taken out one red cable on one esc . The both wheels run and steers  

I just have to turn on two   on/off switches . I was going to join both on /off switch together   but I turned the back wheels off and just had front wheel drive and it was like drift car on the kitchen floor  lol      

Just taken 20mins to get the marks out the wood flooring.  But  almost all gone now . 

I dont want to derail the thread so maybe you could make a thread about your mega carnage, but to say when you run two motors like this they need to run at the same speeds to ensure they dont cause issues.
Heres a complicated video explaining the above.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Redback said:

Heres a complicated video explaining the above.

🤯 ay caramba!

Have been away from rc for a while after having a son he is finally big enough to hold a controller and has enjoed a few runs of my scx10, but i want to get him something a bit quicker and think he will enjoy it more. After much searching and thinking what to get for him to try, I came across this thread. The brushed vantage looks a great choose. Thanks for all the info here

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Savagebrum said:

Have been away from rc for a while after having a son he is finally big enough to hold a controller and has enjoed a few runs of my scx10, but i want to get him something a bit quicker and think he will enjoy it more. After much searching and thinking what to get for him to try, I came across this thread. The brushed vantage looks a great choose. Thanks for all the info here

Hi and welcome back.

Yes, some of us have been very busy here writing a lot in the past few months. :rofl:

( Probably due to too much homeoffice )

And a good choice for your son.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Savagebrum said:

Thanks I'm sure I'll enjoy it too lol. just got to stop myself for going brushless before he can drive

We all know it’s for you really 🤫😆

• Haha 1

I use 30k cst rear and 70k in the front.

It works great. I added some shims on the output shaft, so the o-ring is tight in there (didn't even try without it, so i can't tell if it leaks without this). I am also using automotive gasket maker in between the housing and spur gear. Never had any leak problems...