• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Yes but how does this relate to the motor?

I am not asking what the numbers on the battery mean.  I am asking how to dimension your power supply based on your consumption. ( IE how to work out what battery to buy)

At choosing the battery you must look for those parameters:

-number of cells (depends on your ESC and motor, what is maximum for it)

-capacity (it will affect your runtime)

-discharge rate (as mentioned in previous post, for example if you have a 60A ESC and let's say a 5000mAh battery, this means that you need a battery with at least 12C discharge rate. 30C battery would be OK for this.)

-physical size to fit in your battery compartment

Having a 60A ESC does not mean  that the motor will draw 60A. It is maximum current that ESC can handle without risk of damage.

• Thanks 1

Would anyone be so kind as to measure the ftx carnage and please the Vantage front driveshafts? Would like to see if they can fit into my brushless upgraded BSD racing desert assault. Thank you.

Edited by Alexander Town

On 16/01/2021 at 17:19, zlab said:

At choosing the battery you must look for those parameters:

-number of cells (depends on your ESC and motor, what is maximum for it)

-capacity (it will affect your runtime)

-discharge rate (as mentioned in previous post, for example if you have a 60A ESC and let's say a 5000mAh battery, this means that you need a battery with at least 12C discharge rate. 30C battery would be OK for this.)

-physical size to fit in your battery compartment

Having a 60A ESC does not mean  that the motor will draw 60A. It is maximum current that ESC can handle without risk of damage.

zlab, thanks for attempting to answer my question

The Carnage 2.0 now has an 60A ESC, but (still the same) 540/550 motor.  It is the brushed version.  The battery I am using, is a 4000mAh, 29-30C.  It doesn't get hot etc.  Which tells me I am well within the power delivery scope.

Still, I am trying to understand how to calculate my power source, BASED on my POWER NEEDS.  In this case, you seem to make a calculation that: 60A ESC= 5000mAh*12C. 

But what about the relationship between motor and ESC.  How much does the motor draw?

And in general, it doesn't look like neither the ESC, nor the battery is being stressed, so perhaps the motor is too small?

Hi

Hopefully you can help me - all fairly new to this

I invested in a 'proper' charger so I could set the voltage etc for storage, as Ive read that the LiPO batteries are sensitive to how they've been treated/stored.

Ive just come back from a run, where I let the battery run out (i.e. until the power dropped off the motor). Ive just plugged the battery into the charger and the charger states 'Low Voltage' and wont charge. It's a fairly new LiPO 2s 4000ml that's only been used a couple of times. I checked the voltage across the battery using my voltmeter and its saying 3.88. I've just been reading that LiPO cells should not be taken down below 3.0/3.1/3.2 (depends where you read) - so it would seem the battery is way below that given it's a 2S.

I'm a bit flumxed. The car was running well, until the battery went. I thought the ESC (is that right?) has a battery cutoff. 

Could I have run the battery done that much? Given it's 3.88, it may be that one of the cells has gone or could I really have run them down to 1.9 each?  Do cells just go like that or do they normally deteriorate  slowly? Is there anyway to check the status of each cell?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Went out with my carnage to day and had a massive blast  we found this way out of the way carpark  which is about a mile away from my house on top of a mountain   so been up there for over 2 hrs with my carnage and outlaw .  It got dark so just put the lights on  lol  full moon too so it was bright enough to see until  you looked at the lights the cars aaaggghhh cant see bang both crashed  lol me and my 2 kids had a fantastic time  the carpark is on the staff trail so there a mountain bike track along side so it's all chewed up so the case was ripping thro it all  we found this jump that the carnage would go over the  highest   till hit a tree stump in the dead leaves   so my front bumper it ripped from the chassis  both wee screws are gone ( just bought some this weeks so ok ) 

So looks like I'll need to do a front chassis /bumper repair   .. I'll have to look back on this thread to find out what part I need to buy and cut to make it fit .   

Well worth it tho .. 

And the cars are in a mess tried to clean them just made it worse so.let it dry and it off then . 

On 10/01/2021 at 16:02, zlab said:

About that front bumper riping out the screws from the main plate...

I did this modification quite some time ago and it is still doing its job after MANY bumps and crashes...

You can see on the picture from today how beat up is this alu plate today... i am sure that i would break about a dozen bumpers and few chassis plates without this modification.

All you need is a piece of aluminium sheet metal (1mm) and some basic metal working skills. I recommend longer screws for the diff housing.

You cut it to desired shape and bend it on the front to match the counture of the bumber. Then some additional screws into the bumber and it is done, half an hour of work...

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is what I got to do .  .  I was going.to ask how thick is the alloy  but I can see by looking at the bit by the furthest two screws   .. i have some this thickness .  Ok   that tomorrow sorted   lol . 

1 hour ago, Steve_01 said:

Hi

I didn't change anything. I bought the car at Christmas, and it came with LiPo.

Steve

I weould check the lipo low volt cutoff is enabled on the esc it should say in manual how to 🍻

Pretty much just different arms, shocks, towers and bumper. Its compatible with carnage and vantage parts.

Got a bunch of upgrades to go in along with a brushless setup. Looking forward to experimenting with the carnage/vantage chassis.
So far its gone from a drift car to a rally car. Maybe throw on some small crawler wheels and see how that runs haha :)

Plan is to basically hoon it out for some mad speed.

IMG_20210124_000735.thumb.jpg.5200a30b7358bd572103615b8ff60f00.jpg

Hi guys,

Needing a bit of help on behalf of you 9 year old son. We bought him a carnage 2 brushed for his birthday last year. He crashed it a few weeks ago and the front chassis and bumper snapped. I have managed to glue all this together for ever! but think I should maybe replace the chassis for an aluminium one. Is this what you would recommend

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=373622

or 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aluminum-chassis-plate-1-10-quanum-vandal-4wd-racing-buggy.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_gb_shopping&countrycode=GB&gclid=CjwKCAiA9bmABhBbEiwASb35V_SZj2grAeHBQVRNmD4zrfYvBnoQrxus3PLCCB2eoVylA2Xodl8hOhoCps8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

or even this

https://uk.banggood.com/HSP-04001-03601-Aluminum-Alloy-Metal-Chassis-Upgrade-Parts-For-Buggy-1-or-10-94107-94170-94118-94111-RC-Car-p-1376192.html?akmClientCountry=GB&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=GB&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-gbg-en-pc&currency=GBP&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&ID=229&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=sxxx&utm_campaign=ssc-gbg-toys-rcdro-ve-newcustom-80-1118&gclid=CjwKCAiA9bmABhBbEiwASb35V5UknAZAFHT92-NcuucyPCuW5KD1hq1D2N1x4RTffmGgkIorV0JPxxoCTKAQAvD_BwE

Also today the motor has packed in, I think a stone in the school playground went into it. I have stripped the drive train all off and the motor will still not spin, also smells a bit. Was thinking of maybe moving up to a brushless and sealed unit. Again need a bit of help would something off this page work https://hobbyking.com/en_us/cars/cars/motors.html#q=&idx=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_1_group_0_asc&dFR[esc_compatibility_type][0]=Car&dFR[motor_features][0]=Motor with ESC&dFR[motor_features][1]=Brushless - Sensorless&dFR[warehouses][0]=UK&dFR[warehouses][1]=Global&dFR[warehouses][2]=EU&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][0]=UK|1&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][1]=UK|2&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][2]=UK|3&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][3]=Global|1&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][4]=Global|2&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][5]=Global|3&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][6]=EU|1&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][7]=EU|2&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][8]=EU|3&hFR[categories.level0][0]=Vehicles %2F%2F%2F Cars %2F%2F%2F Motors&nR[max_voltage][<%3D][0]=14&is_v=1

or saw this mentioned on a youtube video 

https://www.banggood.com/Surpass-Hobby-Waterproof-3650-4300KV-Brushless-RC-Car-Motor-With-60A-ESC-Set-For-1-or-10-RC-Car-p-1298142.html?akmClientCountry=GB&utm_campaign=21213455_1286514&utm_content=10534&p=83081145795892016056&cur_warehouse=CN

Will he see much of a speed increase just using the standard NiMh 7.4V batteries? Dont want to move over to Lipo just yet as I have spent a lot of money already on keeping this car going. Where is the best place to buy all these sort of parts?

Thanks in advance for any help

David

41 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

Hi guys,

Needing a bit of help on behalf of you 9 year old son. We bought him a carnage 2 brushed for his birthday last year. He crashed it a few weeks ago and the front chassis and bumper snapped. I have managed to glue all this together for ever! but think I should maybe replace the chassis for an aluminium one. Is this what you would recommend

or 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aluminum-chassis-plate-1-10-quanum-vandal-4wd-racing-buggy.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_gb_shopping&countrycode=GB&gclid=CjwKCAiA9bmABhBbEiwASb35V_SZj2grAeHBQVRNmD4zrfYvBnoQrxus3PLCCB2eoVylA2Xodl8hOhoCps8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

or even this

https://uk.banggood.com/HSP-04001-03601-Aluminum-Alloy-Metal-Chassis-Upgrade-Parts-For-Buggy-1-or-10-94107-94170-94118-94111-RC-Car-p-1376192.html?akmClientCountry=GB&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=GB&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-gbg-en-pc&currency=GBP&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&ID=229&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=sxxx&utm_campaign=ssc-gbg-toys-rcdro-ve-newcustom-80-1118&gclid=CjwKCAiA9bmABhBbEiwASb35V5UknAZAFHT92-NcuucyPCuW5KD1hq1D2N1x4RTffmGgkIorV0JPxxoCTKAQAvD_BwE

Also today the motor has packed in, I think a stone in the school playground went into it. I have stripped the drive train all off and the motor will still not spin, also smells a bit. Was thinking of maybe moving up to a brushless and sealed unit. Again need a bit of help would something off this page work https://hobbyking.com/en_us/cars/cars/motors.html#q=&idx=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_1_group_0_asc&dFR[esc_compatibility_type][0]=Car&dFR[motor_features][0]=Motor with ESC&dFR[motor_features][1]=Brushless - Sensorless&dFR[warehouses][0]=UK&dFR[warehouses][1]=Global&dFR[warehouses][2]=EU&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][0]=UK|1&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][1]=UK|2&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][2]=UK|3&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][3]=Global|1&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][4]=Global|2&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][5]=Global|3&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][6]=EU|1&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][7]=EU|2&dFR[warehouses_stock_data][8]=EU|3&hFR[categories.level0][0]=Vehicles %2F%2F%2F Cars %2F%2F%2F Motors&nR[max_voltage][<%3D][0]=14&is_v=1

https://www.banggood.com/Surpass-Hobby-Waterproof-3650-4300KV-Brushless-RC-Car-Motor-With-60A-ESC-Set-For-1-or-10-RC-Car-p-1298142.html?akmClientCountry=GB&utm_campaign=21213455_1286514&utm_content=10534&p=83081145795892016056&cur_warehouse=CN

Will he see much of a speed increase just using the standard NiMh 7.4V batteries? Dont want to move over to Lipo just yet as I have spent a lot of money already on keeping this car going. Where is the best place to buy all these sort of parts?

David

I believe, an aluminium chassis plate is a worthy investment.

Thinking of getting one myself.

Don't forget to think about getting a stronger upper plate as well.

It reduces the flexing of the whole chassis. It also avoids slight movements between the pinion and spur.

What puzzles me about your links, is that the HSP 94111 seems to be the same as a Carnage.

Do you have any link about that they are compatible?

If so, I would get the chassis with the closed hole below the motor. No more water or dirt coming in.

I know the Carnages are made by VRX Racing in China.

And there is also a similar model sold in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

really not sure, I found the banggood site with the HSP mentioned by googling carnage 2 aluminium chassis. It looks very close and also like the idea of no hole below the motor as that is how the stone went into the present fried one.

The more I read the more I am getting confused especially about the motors! Are you brushed or brushless, have you done any upgrading? Will have to have a think about the upper part thought maybe with the lower part being in metal that it would be completely solid but possibly not as the chassis will be quite thin I suppose. 

41 minutes ago, Jens said:

I believe, an aluminium chassis plate is a worthy investment.

Thinking of getting one myself.

Don't forget to think about getting a stronger upper plate as well.

It reduces the flexing of the whole chassis. It also avoids slight movements between the pinion and spur.

What puzzles me about your links, is that the HSP 94111 seems to be the same as a Carnage.

Do you have any link about that they are compatible?

If so, I would get the chassis with the closed hole below the motor. No more water or dirt coming in.

I know the Carnages are made by VRX Racing in China.

And there is also a similar model sold in the US.

Hi iv just looked at this and mine and its looks pretty dam closing not the right one . So  I'm very tempted to buy one . 

But the big prob with bangood is it takes like a month half to arrive  but prices like that who's complaining.. 

Can you run a brusless set up on NiMH batterys   or donut need to be lipo  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidBH said:

Hi guys,

or 

or even this

David

Hi David

In all honesty, if your boy has managed to break the chassis/bumper, then I think more speed will only make matters worse.  You mentioned money at the end of your post so I think you will see increased running costs if you put more power/punch behind the trigger.

But having said that, I think that Surpass BG combo rocks, I have bought the same from a UK ebay seller and paid twice that price.  Bear in mind that the combo has a Deans connector so your batteries will need a Deans connector too  (think adapters)

Good luck

• Like 1

@Redback  and community,  could you possible shed some pearls of wisdom.

Got the Carnage 2.0 brushed with 60A ESC for my boy.  He has now managed that power and seems to be able to control the whole thing so I think it is time to upgrade

Got him a 3650 -3100kV with 60A ESC combo.  We plan to strip the whole thing apart to give it a good clean.

1) When you plumb in the motor, how does the ESC know the position of the motor?  Is there a procedure for first run/setup?

2)  Is there anything else I should keep in mind when moving from a brushed to a brushless setup?

1 hour ago, Redback said:

Good work! looks like it can take a hit, please show crash testing footage :D

Well I said tomorrow I'd take my youngest daughter (one who crashed the most )  lol out to show her the mountain car park we found last Saturday   so    I might just have some crash test footage   lol .  

Can I ask can you run brushless set up on NiMH batterys . 

As I want to waterproof the carnage  but the esc is not waterproof so thinking about changing it .  But indont want lipo batterys just yet .  So asking if I could you use NiMH battreys on brushless set up . Cheers 

• Like 1