• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Exactly that Pedro. Plus I think Dogbones are a bit meh lol. I've replaced them with CVDs on my Tamiyas too.

20 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

No need to explain, i just bought a £520 monster truck and wait for delivery - already have looked at £200 of "bling". At least. Meaning, that "getting giddy" is not about your first RC. It's every RC. :P

Stock isn't necessarily bad. If something breaks, look closely and see why it broke - if you go into a wall at 60mp/h and broke some A-Arms, that's not because they're weak. Not that there wouldn't be weakpoints on any vehicle which could use beefing up, but mostly, you're better off with plastic parts on these because alu parts might survive to the second hit - but cost four times as much to replace. And make no mistake, they'll break too eventually, or break the part they're attached to. ;)

Other things, like diffs for example, make more sense. 

Just are not as "bling", hehe.

Just a quick question for you.. what MT did you buy? I'll be keeping the carnage to mess about with my son but i'm looking at something a bit more special for myself- have my eye on the LST XXL2 E at the moment- seems to be a decent price for the power / size / durability.. plus i feel i have unfinished business with the LST platform- i had a LST2 nitro for a couple of years before selling up due the impending arrival of aforementioned son!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simmyoto said:

Just a quick question for you.. what MT did you buy? I'll be keeping the carnage to mess about with my son but i'm looking at something a bit more special for myself- have my eye on the LST XXL2 E at the moment- seems to be a decent price for the power / size / durability.. plus i feel i have unfinished business with the LST platform- i had a LST2 nitro for a couple of years before selling up due the impending arrival of aforementioned son!  

That's the one. ;)

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.. i have always loved the design- the sandwiched chassis with top mounted everything makes it beautiful to wrench on!  i had a new era tubular cage on my lst 2 but can;t see many cages available for the newer larger size LST's- i assume you'll be running on dual 3s?

No, for the first couple of months only 4s, to then go to 5s. 

6s, from what i've been told and can see from videos, seems to be just too much. For me personally anyway, it's uncontrollable. 5s on the other hand seems to be the sweet spot on the truck. Not to mention that like all RC, it'll start shredding itself on 6s. 

edit: there's another owner in this forum @supersavage - he has one too, and seems to be very happy with it, although he's running a Max8 combo now and no AVC, which seemed to increase heat for some reason.

Ah and the new era cages go for stinking money now, if you actually manage to find one. :D

Edited by m4inbrain

7 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

No, for the first couple of months only 4s, to then go to 5s. 

6s, from what i've been told and can see from videos, seems to be just too much. For me personally anyway, it's uncontrollable. 5s on the other hand seems to be the sweet spot on the truck. Not to mention that like all RC, it'll start shredding itself on 6s. 

edit: there's another owner in this forum @supersavage - he has one too, and seems to be very happy with it, although he's running a Max8 combo now and no AVC, which seemed to increase heat for some reason.

Ah and the new era cages go for stinking money now, if you actually manage to find one. :D

I'll PM you to avoid clogging this FTX thread ;)

• Like 1

Thought I would post a shot of mine. Doesn't move much anymore, but for a time I was replacing everything I broke with an upgrade.
Needless to say, the only original parts are now the battery cover plate, steering servo and front bumper.
Upgrades ain't necessarily an improvement, I have done more damage bending a metal wishbone than I have snapping a plastic one.
The motor and esc are now waterproof, the old one didn't like puddles. The original chassis snapped in half when I was doing something stupid, skate park I think.
The alloy spur is a bit of a pain, took me a while to get the right amount of tension to not kill pinion gears. The brass ones would always strip off and the steel ones would just snap off the odd tooth.

The motor and esc in it would do upto 4s which I would think in a car like this would be insane. Wouldn't thing it would last more than 5 minutes with the way I normally drive it.

58173403f6c7375b878b9a7ef178f23c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thought I would post a shot of mine. Doesn't move much anymore, but for a time I was replacing everything I broke with an upgrade.
Needless to say, the only original parts are now the battery cover plate, steering servo and front bumper.
Upgrades ain't necessarily an improvement, I have done more damage bending a metal wishbone than I have snapping a plastic one.
The motor and esc are now waterproof, the old one didn't like puddles. The original chassis snapped in half when I was doing something stupid, skate park I think.
The alloy spur is a bit of a pain, took me a while to get the right amount of tension to not kill pinion gears. The brass ones would always strip off and the steel ones would just snap off the odd tooth.

The motor and esc in it would do upto 4s which I would think in a car like this would be insane. Wouldn't thing it would last more than 5 minutes with the way I normally drive it.

What are those wheels/tyres mate?

21 hours ago, pedrolami said:

Are your battery posts aftermarket extended versions? can't say i have seen any Aluminium ones listed but they look taller than standard so would make life easier with thicker lipo Hard packs

On 3/7/2017 at 21:21, chewbacca said:

One mod I've done to my Carnage which I would recommend to anyone is swap the rear dogbones for CVDs. Unfortunately it can't be done on the Hooligan for some bizarre reason.

I saw this mod mentioned before (probably by you Chewy) and having lost a few dogbones i now understand why this is a great idea.

Did you just fit the front CVD's onto the rear?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-carnage-front-cvd-2-carnage/rc-car-products/365847

Thanks,

Ringo

3 minutes ago, RingoNotts said:

I saw this mod mentioned before (probably by you Chewy) and having lost a few dogbones i now understand why this is a great idea.

Did you just fit the front CVD's onto the rear?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-carnage-front-cvd-2-carnage/rc-car-products/365847

Thanks,

Ringo

Yeah, just the standard fronts. They're a straight swap.

• Like 1

Sorry Dave- ;) 

It seems Dave Shann has himself a youtube channel and a video of him getting out and having fun with his Carnage! Great stuff Dave!  noting better than seeing people have fun with their cars!   

• Like 2

Sorry Dave- [emoji6] 

It seems Dave Shann has himself a youtube channel and a video of him getting out and having fun with his Carnage! Great stuff Dave!  noting better than seeing people have fun with their cars!   

Haha cheers mate! Still learning the editing!!

Are your battery posts aftermarket extended versions? can't say i have seen any Aluminium ones listed but they look taller than standard so would make life easier with thicker lipo Hard packs

Came with the carbon chassis. Not seen these for a while now though.

Hey guys, just an idea for you... i have broken a few body posts over the time ive had the carnages, decided it was basically due to the body sitting too low on the post meaning too much post was showing making it catch on any rollover, i see a few guys use foam body washers... if you want a hillbilly fast and cheap alternative... use a nerf dart!  Just cut the dart to the height you want to use as a spacer and it slides snugly over the standard post. Yes it raises the body a little but since using this method i havent managed to break a standard body post yet! Of course the alternative is trimming the standard posts down but I've found the foam cushioning of the nerf spacers to help avoid damage to body mounting holes too.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, corpsstandard said:

Alright chaps.

Would the carnage shell fit on the vantage?

Yes and no- You would need to buy a set of the Carnage body posts to attach to the front body mounts You would need to make new mounting holes in the shell as well.-

the shell would sit high and long and the wheels would look strange as they are small compared to the carnage wheels.  The vantage is shorter than the carnage and the carnage wheel track is also wider- the carnage suspension arms are longer- There are members who have converted vantages to Carnages-  you'll have to read back through this thread.  What is it that you are trying to achieve? 

Edited by Simmyoto

Does anyone else find the Vantage's steering to be a little 'stiff'? Compared to my Carnage (I know I'm comparing 2 completely different things here) it seems to be really stiff and has a large turning circle.

Has anyone tweaked the steering slightly to be a little more responsive or is the only way to achieve this to look at a new servo?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Simmyoto said:

Yes and no- You would need to buy a set of the Carnage body posts to attach to the front body mounts You would need to make new mounting holes in the shell as well.-

the shell would sit high and long and the wheels would look strange as they are small compared to the carnage wheels.  The vantage is shorter than the carnage and the carnage wheel track is also wider- the carnage suspension arms are longer- There are members who have converted vantages to Carnages-  you'll have to read back through this thread.  What is it that you are trying to achieve? 

Thanks for the feedback Simmyoto 

just wanted to see if the shells were interchangeable, what you've mentioned makes sense but also seems like too much hassle!

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 11:44, Simmyoto said:

Hi Guys-  

I just noticed  FTX6332    FTX Sealed Rear Spur Gear Cover (EP) - Carnage  On the Modelsport site whilst ordering spares..

Finally a sealed spur cover in stock grab them whilst you can ;)

I'm wondering if this will fit on a Hooligan, and hopefully stop gravel etc getting to the spur gear.

Any chance of a picture with it fitted ?

Took both the Vantage and Carnage out for a good bashing today but the Carnage decided to break :-/

I think I know what the problem is and what part I need to fix but just wanted to check with you guys as you're the experts ;-)

a889789a93ec357b1397471ab356ec62.jpg

f8370b5f489dec17a44c8fec51a4dbb4.jpg

8c4fedbbbe168931b4217cf7ac7cb5fa.jpg

Can I just replace the Spur Gear (FTX6275) or do I need to replace the Slipper Complete (FTX6266)?

Thanks fellas :-)