• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On 15/03/2022 at 21:24, Vanden Plas said:

I did try that but they were slightly longer than the stock shock and putting them there made them super stiff and it was like a pogo stick bouncing around!

Shame. They look cool af.

Right…. Spent hours trawling eBay and found some shocks that were nearly exactly the same length (4mm shorter than stock) they were a slightly bigger bore but not as big as the last lot. Also came in the lovely dark blue. I am a bit of a tart for anodising!! They feel 100 times better than the stock ones so will see how they perform when I go bashing tomorrow.

Have ordered a hobbywing max10 esc and 4000kvh motor combo which is coming Tuesday, have probably gone a bit overboard with the motor and it will tear itself to pieces but what the hey!!

955F9A8B-3A5A-45C6-9EF6-0D6F41C1800F.jpeg

92CB8767-45A4-4735-9F4D-85C3EAF724F0.jpeg

6BF96D49-9C1E-4FCC-A1D5-B59CAC784AFB.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

Right…. Spent hours trawling eBay and found some shocks that were nearly exactly the same length (4mm shorter than stock) they were a slightly bigger bore but not as big as the last lot. Also came in the lovely dark blue. I am a bit of a tart for anodising!! They feel 100 times better than the stock ones so will see how they perform when I go bashing tomorrow.

Have ordered a hobbywing max10 esc and 4000kvh motor combo which is coming Tuesday, have probably gone a bit overboard with the motor and it will tear itself to pieces but what the hey!!

Looks good, might be time to move up to 1/8 buggies?

On 18/03/2022 at 22:40, Vanden Plas said:

I had a 4000kv in mine. Car coped fine with the extra go, (but I only used a 2S battery, 3S might be a different story). 

So took the vantage out with the new shocks, something very strange happened, very quickly the front ones got very stiff till they nearly refused to move and then the rears went the opposite, it seemed like they had no dampening at all! Very weird, so took the shocks apart and all the shock oil had separated, there was a water like substance then a thick rubber like gloopy stuff! This had stuffed up the fronts and just got pushed to the top of the rear shock so the oil was like water. Was using brand new team associated shock oil so the only thing I can think of is that it reacted to the oil that was in the shock from manufacture. has anyone else had this?

anyway have stripped them all and cleaned them and then put in some different shock oil and will see how they go as last run was not a very balanced affair!!

Very odd. Never had anything like that happen.

Wondering if there was any oily residue from manufacturing still in/on the shocks which might have reacted with the shock oil?

1 hour ago, Vanden Plas said:

So took the vantage out with the new shocks, something very strange happened, very quickly the front ones got very stiff till they nearly refused to move and then the rears went the opposite, it seemed like they had no dampening at all! Very weird, so took the shocks apart and all the shock oil had separated, there was a water like substance then a thick rubber like gloopy stuff! This had stuffed up the fronts and just got pushed to the top of the rear shock so the oil was like water. Was using brand new team associated shock oil so the only thing I can think of is that it reacted to the oil that was in the shock from manufacture. has anyone else had this?

anyway have stripped them all and cleaned them and then put in some different shock oil and will see how they go as last run was not a very balanced affair!!

Hi all, I have tried to search the forums for a answer but had no luck so thought i would ask it here,

I am going to my local hobby shop tomorrow to look at buying a carnage, question is do I go with the brushed version and get a 2s lipo at the same time for £177 or get the brushless version which comes with a 2s for £199

is it worth extra for brushless? What do you gain/loose.

any input is greatly appreciated,

thanks 

Adam

77157B88-02ED-4C55-8689-BFC85686C571.thumb.png.eeb8baad2f55880d41a0d6f677eddc69.png2A833EFA-FD68-4307-8983-4D86D7FEB024.thumb.png.008849ce6c46fc7de53c8159249fa06d.png

50 minutes ago, adamfshaw said:

Hi all, I have tried to search the forums for a answer but had no luck so thought i would ask it here,

I am going to my local hobby shop tomorrow to look at buying a carnage, question is do I go with the brushed version and get a 2s lipo at the same time for £177 or get the brushless version which comes with a 2s for £199

is it worth extra for brushless? What do you gain/loose.

any input is greatly appreciated,

thanks 

Adam

77157B88-02ED-4C55-8689-BFC85686C571.thumb.png.eeb8baad2f55880d41a0d6f677eddc69.png2A833EFA-FD68-4307-8983-4D86D7FEB024.thumb.png.008849ce6c46fc7de53c8159249fa06d.png

The electronics in FTX carnage’s aren’t great. You will likely find something stops working after a while on the brushed system.

The stock brushless isn’t much better, and the battery that comes with both options are literally just to get you going (for 10 minutes if you’re lucky). 

I went for the brushed version, and then upgraded to brushless with a decent Hobbywing combo at a later date. This way teaches you more about Rc mechanics and electronics.

other things you’ll want to consider:

hardened spur and pinion

decent charger (skyrc t200 or similar would future proof you)

upgraded servo 

upgraded servo saver

Front and rear aluminium suspension holders

replacement wheels (foam inserts on stock will turn to dust)

FTX Zorro front bumper as stronger than stock one.

not all at once, just as and when they break, which they will if you use it!

• Like 1

Well…. She is proper bad arse now! Crazy fast, struggled to have the room to get her up to full throttle over two football pitches. Was wheeling with any spurt on the throttle at any speed, dread to think how quick it was going over grass?? After proper punishment the motor was only warm so the fans doing a great job, wish I had a gps speed thingy to see how fast it goes. The new shocks performed really now the oil is sorted. 

got some road tyres to do some tarmac runs, tis going to be silly quick!

will try and get some video but am mostly out on my own so maybe ask a interested passer by to film a bit, there were quite a few people stood watching this crazy little thing shooting across the grass!

the whole thing held together really well till I took a jump at silly speed, got wonky on the landing and it did about 20 cartwheels, it smashed the two left wheels to bits but nothing else bent or damaged so think I have a good combination of stiff unbreakable bits and bendy plastic bits. Anyway I am chuffed with my little vantage rocket!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

The electronics in FTX carnage’s aren’t great. You will likely find something stops working after a while on the brushed system.

The stock brushless isn’t much better, and the battery that comes with both options are literally just to get you going (for 10 minutes if you’re lucky). 

I went for the brushed version, and then upgraded to brushless with a decent Hobbywing combo at a later date. This way teaches you more about Rc mechanics and electronics.

other things you’ll want to consider:

hardened spur and pinion

decent charger (skyrc t200 or similar would future proof you)

upgraded servo 

upgraded servo saver

Front and rear aluminium suspension holders

replacement wheels (foam inserts on stock will turn to dust)

FTX Zorro front bumper as stronger than stock one.

Very good advice, ant knows his stuff, get the brushed version then upgrade as you chose rather than forking out extra for very bog standard esc and brushless motor. I think half the fun is upgrading stuff!

I had the same sort issue when I 1st started I bought a brushed  but after a bit (short bit ) you want to go faster . 

So I went brushless . 

As said above   it's fun changing all the bits over it helps you understand the workings . 

If you want a fast carnage   brushless  an hobbywing bits   

But make sure you buy plenty of spares till you handle the speed.  

Ps   I still buy spares  lol 

Thanks for the replies lads, I'm trying not to be a proper a newbie but I have been put of the hobby for a few years now and want a cheap truck to have some fun with.

Is it worth getting the 2s lipo addition or just stick with the NiMH battery until I need to upgrade? The single battery included isn't going to last nearly long enough so I want a spare battery aanyway.

Is the lipo and charger combo worth it Or  am I better getting a lipo and charger seperately from the car?

When I last had a rc lipos had only just come out and nitro was ruling so I'm abit out of my depth at the minute to be honest, i have  ideal £200 budget as I don't want to get overly invested incase it's just a fad at minute and the carnage seems to be the best for the buck from what I can see

Screenshot_2022-03-25-05-20-01-12_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.thumb.jpg.63c71182b18e4d3c9fd4513876d99bcf.jpg

EDIT: I have a strange logic sometimes and what my thinking is, for the brushed car with lipo and charger it's £177 for the brushless which includes lipo it's £200 so for the brushless system it's an extra £23? Almost seems worth it unless there's something obvious I can see , thanks again for any input 👍

Edited by adamfshaw

53 minutes ago, adamfshaw said:

Thanks for the replies lads, I'm trying not to be a proper a newbie but I have been put of the hobby for a few years now and want a cheap truck to have some fun with.

Is it worth getting the 2s lipo addition or just stick with the NiMH battery until I need to upgrade? The single battery included isn't going to last nearly long enough so I want a spare battery aanyway.

Is the lipo and charger combo worth it Or  am I better getting a lipo and charger seperately from the car?

When I last had a rc lipos had only just come out and nitro was ruling so I'm abit out of my depth at the minute to be honest, i have  ideal £200 budget as I don't want to get overly invested incase it's just a fad at minute and the carnage seems to be the best for the buck from what I can see

Screenshot_2022-03-25-05-20-01-12_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.thumb.jpg.63c71182b18e4d3c9fd4513876d99bcf.jpg

EDIT: I have a strange logic sometimes and what my thinking is, for the brushed car with lipo and charger it's £177 for the brushless which includes lipo it's £200 so for the brushless system it's an extra £23? Almost seems worth it unless there's something obvious I can see , thanks again for any input 👍

If that is the only difference, I would go for the brushless. There are always better stuff out there if you choose to upgrade... But the brushed gets pretty boring once you use it a few times in my opinion. For kids is great, but yourself, go brushless.

• Like 1

It's a hard one, I think the brushed one is boring. However, of you want to do in stages...

Brushed carnage 120

Lipo battery 20

Decent. Lipo battery charger 50

Then upgrade when ready to

Hobby wing Max 10 combo brushless 100

It adds up to more... But the stock battery and chargers in both kids are crap... So you will need to upgrade.

Also, you will learn about the car on the way.

But keep in mind these are budget cars.... You can spend a fortune on them making them tough... Just gotta work out when to jump ship and invest in a better RC car if you get hooked.

What lipo battery charger do you get in the package? Everyone really rates the skyrc t100 and t200 for the price. Battery of Amazon will be sub20.

Link below is for two batteries.

Zeee 2S Lipo Battery 5200mAh 7.4V 80C RC Battery Hard Case with Upgraded Deans T Plug for 1/8 1/10 RC Vehicles Car Slash RC Buggy Truggy RC Airplane UAV Drone FPV(2 Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08YN85JWD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_VSZW3N71E8CBCA20XCGZ

Edited by vimto2000

10 hours ago, adamfshaw said:

not sure how much you know about lipo storage and handling, but they can cause fires if mishandled. Storing them at the correct voltage  (around 3.8v per cell) doesn’t only reduce the risk of fire, but also prolongs battery life.

The charger that comes with the brushless doesn’t have a storage voltage function. You could charge the battery to storage voltage by disconnecting the battery every now and then and check with a voltage meter, but add this to the already tedious 4-6 hours charge time and you’ll be sick of it in no time. 

regardless of which model you choose, you’re gonna need to factor in a half decent balance charger.

they have actually increased the capacity of the lipo in the brushless since I last looked. You would still need another though. Would be surprised if you got 15 mins runtime out of it.

if you went for the brushed, you would probably want to go lipo, and sell the nimh. You need to adjust the esc to accept lipo and wouldn’t want to be doing this every time you changed the battery. 

may also be worth brushing up on your soldering skills, as adapters aren’t the best option. They tend to create resistance, which results in heat buildup.