• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to install a 'proper' 17mm hex and nut on Savage Flux.

DreXeL

I am trying to fit a hex conversion on my Flux and considered the Baja 24mm conversion but after hearing the extra weight puts strain on the system I've reverted back to the 17mm setup. The original part number mentioned by Drexel HPI 101045 is discontinued and replaced by 101785 which to my luck is out of stock everywhere I've looked. Is there an alternative, preferably from somewhere with stock need it by weekend.

To make even stronger I would use bearing retainer on all the parts so its all locked together. Can be 'unlocked' with heat when required

I had about 10 of these:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=400386733037&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=96837399248

Come as spares with Hong nor x1crt I bought, fitted them along with some off set wheel hexes, also from the spares. I'm yet to run the car as I still need a few more pats but don't think there's going to be a problem.

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Bigjimknickers said:

I'm going to try this method on my XL, I've already bought the Hyper 7 parts & I don't bash "the snot" out of my cars so maybe I'll be ok.

first time I snap an axle I'll buy the hot racing hexs.

I don't rate the HR hexes, hard to explain, but just no. 

• 2 years later...

The Savage hexes fit over a pin that goes throught the axle. The problem is, they use a silly small nut with a large flange. Not good.

The idea with fitting this type of hex is simple. Remove Savage hub abd pin. Place the nex hex over the axle and slot the pin through. Tightening up the grub screw that goes into the end of the axle would normally lock the pin...but you can't do that here. Instead, if I remember right...they are bolting a nyloc nut onto the axle to hold the hex on. With the wheel in place, the pin can't come out anyway.

Personally..I run 23mm hexes on both my Savages. Wheel choice is not so good...but Innovative RC do a complete set for £24