• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to install a 'proper' 17mm hex and nut on Savage Flux.

DreXeL

That's what makes all the difference, the 17mm hex and nut have a much higher clamping force than the stock flange nut, and thus help to stop stripped wheel hexes.

It also helps to stop broken axles because the small and weak 5mm threaded parts of the axles aren't taking the full forces of heavy landings etc, like they do when using the stock flange nuts.

Edited by DreXeL

That's what makes all the difference, the 17mm hex and nut have a much higher clamping force than the stock flange nut, and thus help to stop stripped wheel hexes.

It also helps to stop broken axles because the small and weak 5mm threaded parts of the axles aren't taking the full forces of heavy landings etc, like they do when using the stock flange nuts.

hi buddy can i ask what drill bit you used i know its 3mm but as you said a normal drill bit just snaps what bit will i need?

cheers

Rob

You need a glass/tile cutter bit. This is the one I used:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/accessories/drill-bits/tile___glass_drill_bits/PTX-Glass-and-Tile-Drill-Bit-3mm-11407754

Just go through slowly and carefully and it should open the hole out nice and cleanly :)

Did this very thing recently!

Literally just tonight done a version using Associated RC8T hexes which give you the added bonus of widening the truck.

Heres a link Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Associated-89330-RC8T-Wheel-Hex-/320877812447

In theory, any buggy type wheel hex should work in the same way. They seem to have a fairly standard centre bore, and as long as you get the pins that match the hub and drill to suit, all will be well. The only potential problem is the hex may foul on the bearings if it's hole is offset wrongly, or you might get a large gap behind the hex. In the latter...you have a problem you can solve with shims.

With the HPI hexes, Drexel has done the testing, so those ones will definitely work.

Only thing I would do differently if it was me would be to get some ally rod, drill it through and make up a spacer to sit under the nut so the pressure from doing up the bolt was on the main part of hte hub rather than on the threaded and thinner outer.

I love things like this though....home-brewed mods using a bit of lateral thinking and readily available parts to make a truck better :)

which way do you think is better, the way drexel has posted( :thumbsup: ), or the way savagejunky has posted, he drills a hole through the standard hex's going into the wheel and then pushing a pin through to the wheel.

i've already tried the latter idea on one wheel and hex but had to stop. he says, and he's right, you need a 2/32 drill bit, which is 2.238mm. i can only find 2mm or 2.5mm.

if anyone knows of a drill bit, size 2/32 and can drill through metal............. gis a shout matey's :thumbsup:

I personally see that way as a fix for previously stripped hex, rather than actually preventing the problem in the first place. Don't get me wrong, it works and does prevent the problem and if the hex is already stripped then that's the only way to fix it, but for me putting proper buggy/truggy style hex/nuts on is a better way of preventing the problem in the first place :)

Edited by DreXeL

thanks Drexel :thumbsup: . would it be better if i found some buggy hex's that had a 2.5mm hole for the pin to go through? rather than drilling it to 3mm

Edited by forforksake

thanks Drexel :thumbsup: . would it be better if i found some buggy hex's that had a 2.5mm hole for the pin to go through? rather than drilling it to 3mm

It would save you drilling the hole out, but if I'm honest I've never even attempted to find any with a 2.5mm hole.

have done a search on ms and hpi europe and can't find the axle pins anywhere

where did you get them from??

andy

:thumbsup:

I got them from a seller on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Z272-HPI-PIN-3-0-X-17MM-8PCS-/170790353428

Edited by DreXeL

• 1 year later...

will the hyper 7 hexes work mate ?

I haven't personally used them, but yes Hyper 7 ones work, with the added bonus of not having to drill the holes on the axle out to 3mm. You do have to file the back of them to prevent binding though.

I haven't personally used them, but yes Hyper 7 ones work, with the added bonus of not having to drill the holes on the axle out to 3mm. You do have to file the back of them to prevent binding though.

great that may proof to be a quick mod, seen some hexes on ebay for

just put the ofna 1's on, they work. i have xl axles so i had to grind a couple of mm of the spacers and now they fit great. should of done this ages ago :yes: . i've been using a pin through the hex into the wheel method, but just got some new wheels and  couldn't bring myself to drilling through them....... although, if i see any kind of rounding the inside of the wheel i shall pin them like before, double the strengh :yes:

just put the ofna 1's on, they work. i have xl axles so i had to grind a couple of mm of the spacers and now they fit great. should of done this ages ago :yes: . i've been using a pin through the hex into the wheel method, but just got some new wheels and  couldn't bring myself to drilling through them....... although, if i see any kind of rounding the inside of the wheel i shall pin them like before, double the strengh :yes:

Got a link to the ofna ones mate

i certainly have matey, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYPER-7-HEX-HUBS-AND-WHEEL-NUTS-17MM-/251259370394?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 .  very fast delivery from this seller, Mike, also got a packet of sweeties put in the parcel too. very nice touch,lol :thumbsup: , they went down nice whilst fitting my new hexes :yes:

Excellent post drexel :) i got a new savage a few weeks ago and the standard flange nut arrangement is just garbage tbh! ive been having a nosey round how to put proper 17mm hubs on and this looks spot on

thanks bud :thumbsup:

I used drexels meathod to the exact way and mine have had a good bash and are perfect. They are strong and very reliable and you can tighten them up properly unlike stock. Those stock ones are like cheese and should no be allowed on this earth lol.