• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project Nitro Rally is go.....

Nitroholic

thats gonna look stunning when painted fella :yes: just looking at the exhaust though,, whats the plan of action with it?? are you gonna fit a stinger poking out the bottom of the shell at the side or reroute it so it comes out the rear of the shell???

Got a couple of ideas on the exhaust depending on the effect it has on the engine.

plan a: Simple right angle rubber hose job to come out underneath the shell. Minimal effect on the car, no shell cutting....

plan b: Cut a hole in teh side and run it out there. Don;t like that as it spoils the look and messes up the side of the car

plan c: duct the exhaust to teh rear. I have som silicon pipe that would work fine...but I am concerned it would stifle the engine

plan d: Get creative! I reckon with a spare manifold I have lying around I could cut and join it to re-site the exhaust across the back of the car behind the rear shock tower. I can then run a short stinger down to the 'real' exhaust position with a short rubber pipe. Got some fiddling to do...but that might be possible

well fella obviously with the skills you seem to have id say plan d maybe with a nice rally style exhaust can poking out under the rear bumper although i doubt it would last long with going off road lol so maybe plan c will be the better option as all the gunk is directed away from the shell and you get the smoke coming from the back for the realistic look

Jon that shell is an uncanny fit. Good measuring skills or luck? :tease:

He had a whole thread devoted to buggy wheelbase measurements - he did his research!!!!

I was in me garage about 11pm measuring up my hyper to double check for him. :yes:

That is looking really sweet with the shell. People are going to drool once it's painted up and ready to go. :thumbsup:

As for exhaust, will you be able to do much without affecting the engine tune? Some pipes come with multiple manifolds to modify the power curve, if you're making your own manifold, won't it throw the tune out totally or at least enough to pee you off? For ease of fitting and reducing the affect on the engine, the downpipe inside the shell would be the best option I reckon but am sure you have a way to solve any problem!

Jimmy...shame on you !!! If I was that lucky I'd be buying lottery tickets :)

Exhaust wise, I was thinking of cutting a manifold halfway along and rotating it 180' .... would have to keep the manifold length exactly as stock though. Then sleeve teh join with a silicon exhaust coupler. I was looking at doing something like the setup on a Revo..only with a full size pipe as I do have the room! Will tinker and see. Worst case, I have a simple rubber joint to put the exhasut mess outside under the shell.

the one thing I do NOT want to do is cut holes in the shell unless I really have to. Once you do that, you have to stick with whatever you have.

That's true...but I would have to listen to that awful whining noise instead of a real engine :) Besides...brushless is tantamount to witchcraft, which as we all know, is the work of Satan and all his little demons. I know a Demon lives inside the little prison you call an ESC...I saw one escape from barnetbasher's MMM in a cloud of smoke and flames :)

This is all very true. I pretend to "waterproof" my demon prisons when really I am trying to contain the satanic powers within. It does not like it though, it tries to burn me often. The flames of hell must be trying to release the evil!

Edited by who

Pouring Holy Water on an ESC kills it .... point proven :)

Lazkopat...the shell is designed specifically for 'Rally Game' cars. These are 1/8 buggies with lowered suspension and on-road tyres. As a result the shells are designed to fit the wheelbase and width of the average buggy. I did a bit of homework to find a buggy that was a good match too.

When they design the shells, they slightly stretch the car shape to make it fit. Some shells look better than others. The Lancia one I got has slightly wider wheel-arches and is a little fatter in the middle than a perfect scale shell would be .... but it still looks 'right' if a little more chunky.

Jimmy...shame on you !!! If I was that lucky I'd be buying lottery tickets :)

Exhaust wise, I was thinking of cutting a manifold halfway along and rotating it 180' .... would have to keep the manifold length exactly as stock though. Then sleeve teh join with a silicon exhaust coupler. I was looking at doing something like the setup on a Revo..only with a full size pipe as I do have the room! Will tinker and see. Worst case, I have a simple rubber joint to put the exhasut mess outside under the shell.

the one thing I do NOT want to do is cut holes in the shell unless I really have to. Once you do that, you have to stick with whatever you have.

I thought it was the shape of the manifold as well but hey, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Agree with cutting the shell - more for the look though, don't spoil that gorgeous shell with a cut out for an exhaust!! :protest:

Pouring Holy Water on an ESC kills it .... point proven :)

Lazkopat...the shell is designed specifically for 'Rally Game' cars. These are 1/8 buggies with lowered suspension and on-road tyres. As a result the shells are designed to fit the wheelbase and width of the average buggy. I did a bit of homework to find a buggy that was a good match too.

When they design the shells, they slightly stretch the car shape to make it fit. Some shells look better than others. The Lancia one I got has slightly wider wheel-arches and is a little fatter in the middle than a perfect scale shell would be .... but it still looks 'right' if a little more chunky.

Ah I see, I'll keep that in mind mate for my future projects :xd::yes:

Edited by lazkopat

There are some models that use a rear facing exhaust manifold - i think the rascal was one of them?

Have a look, but it might be easier to get a welder ""mate"" to weld a custom manifold up once you've cut and trimmed it

Rembering - Longer = More low end grunt

Shorter - More top end rev's

Ziggy

awesome thread and love the shell if id have know id have gone in with you guys too!carnt wait to see it done! the savage exhaust you could always cut one pipe off and have it welded up thus creating more back pressure! i think any way