• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

2 hours ago, bertberr said:

Out of interest how long is it from home? Just curious how far people would travel to use their rc's at a decent place? I drive about a half hour each way to get some decent terrain up on the moor, not sure I could be arrrsed to go much further, now I've got the little ones.

That particular place is about 25-30 minutes drive away from my house, so roughly an hour, give or take round trip.

We also use another place which is a 2 1/2 hour round trip though, but that is quite a bit biggerand we've often spent 3 or 4 hours in there without hitting the same bit twice.

On the flip side, we also have 3 or 4 locations within a 10 minute drive from the house :) my old house was better, I had a massive disused quarry, literally about a 3 or 4 minute walk from my doorstep lol, that was absolute RC heaven and I could go whenever the mood took me!

14 hours ago, froggy8 said:

i have always wondered which grease do you use for the bearings?

Typically, you shouldn't grease bearings, you should oil them.

Grease attracts dirt and grit like nobodies business.

Oil can too, but it's nowhere near as bad.

And always GT85 over WD40 :thumbsup: it's much much better stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

Typically, you shouldn't grease bearings, you should oil them.

Grease attracts dirt and grit like nobodies business.

Oil can too, but it's nowhere near as bad.

And always GT85 over WD40 :thumbsup: it's much much better stuff.

which oil would you use?

3 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

which oil would you use?

I just use a decent brand 3 in 1.

But I very rarely use oil to be honest, sometimes if a bearing is pretty fresh but a little bit griity, I'll soak it in some oil to see if I can get the grit out, simply as it saves buying a new bearing.

I never put grease/oil on exposed bearings though, because you'll wear them out very quickly.

Most of mine get a blast with some GT85, if they don't run smooth and firm, they get replaced, or if I know they are really old and I'm digging into that part of the RC anyway, I usually replace them.

43 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

which oil would you use?

I've used 3in1 before or sewing machine oil. There's also others like rem oil and bones speed cream. I've heard a lot of the rc bearing oils are just light machine oil but they just repackage it and add their silly markup.

44 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I just use a decent brand 3 in 1.

But I very rarely use oil to be honest, sometimes if a bearing is pretty fresh but a little bit griity, I'll soak it in some oil to see if I can get the grit out, simply as it saves buying a new bearing.

I never put grease/oil on exposed bearings though, because you'll wear them out very quickly.

Most of mine get a blast with some GT85, if they don't run smooth and firm, they get replaced, or if I know they are really old and I'm digging into that part of the RC anyway, I usually replace them.

3 minutes ago, stretch said:

I've used 3in1 before or sewing machine oil. There's also others like rem oil and bones speed cream. I've heard a lot of the rc bearing oils are just light machine oil but they just repackage it and add their silly markup.

cheers guys! have got a bottle of 3 in 1 so im sorted!

2 hours ago, bombercountynick said:

I Rolled mine 4/5 times last weekend and they were at full chat :lol:. I've been properly anal with mine not wanting to get it dirty, but once it rolled over that once I was like a man possessed, drove it like i'd stole it for the next hour and caused utter carnage :lol:

You're right though, they are fantastic bits of kit when you use them in the right environment, the way they slide around like a proper truck is uncanny!!!

Had to stitch mine back together... missed out on a shell that went for £26 on eBay yesterday, DOH :rolleyes: And apparently the KM shell doesn't fit to the losi cage!

stitched.jpg

The KM shell ain't got nothing on the 5ive ones anyway. I'm after a big flex body for when the stocker gets trashed lol

On 04/02/2017 at 22:16, cookie666uk said:

use vaseline while drilling. and resist the urge to use full speed. when drilling hard things slow and steady wins the race...

yes thats how i was doing it i was going thru the pinion but very slowly... thanks for the suggestion :)

• Like 1

replaced an exploded inner propshaft bearing on my losi baja rey. Turns out its the exact same bearing one of my helis uses so I have loads of them going spare! Also yesterday I race in 1/10th off road for the first time since 1995! It was fun, I sucked balls but it was mega fun and I can't wait to get there again!

I installed the new rear steel prop shaft to the Outlaw SCT conversion. Also fitted rear alloy hubs, and variable motor mount.  Need to finish off the body mounts and await the delivery of the new KillerBody SCT shell, due tomorrow :D

On 06/02/2017 at 13:06, ProBlitz said:

yes thats how i was doing it i was going thru the pinion but very slowly... thanks for the suggestion :)

I say vaseline as its most likely something you have around the house. Really you should use a proper cutting oil or paste but they're messy and expensive and probably overkill for the home user.

This isn't really a "what I did to my model today" sort of thing, more of a: "having wandered passed this spurious shop in Schiphol Airport while on my way to work I had a demo of one of these!" 

It's incredible, perhaps not to many of you experienced drone folk, I dunno, but to me it was impressive seen as I've not really had much to do with one costing more than £100.. This particular one is €1400 :blink:  gulp!! Gotta say though, the sound was quite suppressive on it considering there's 6 brushless motors zooming away, the camera is top notch and it just stays at a constant point if you want, clever stuff! None of this wandering lark.. Feels well made n all, weighty yet well balanced. And the remote - that really is the mutts nuts! Nice big screen to see what the drone sees, and a 4km range :huh: 

After all that, I'd be tempted if monies allowed (just a hopeful dream I suppose!)  but saying that - realistically how much use would I have out of it considering how busy I am..?! Anyone else ventured into this sort of expenditure? If so, how often do you use such an expensive piece of kit? 

IMG_1046.JPG

Spent the evening tinkering with the X2 - mainly moving all the shocks to the outer holes on the arms and add some preload to the springs to stiffen the truck up a bit and give a more progressive action.

de87d8e379911ccee8d8a7d3f8482d04.jpg

Also fitted the new pull start and thumbscrews, and checked the rest of it over.

Yesterday, stripped down the FB RX, in very good condition, gearbox innards perfect. Cleaned all the plastic parts, chucked the electrics and friction shocks in the bin and rebuilt the gearbox with bearings and grease.

Fitted chinese copy methods to the Yeti, accidentally ordered the narrow ones, which were a pain to fit. If I want to used the closed cell foams I have with other tyres I will need the wider ones.

IMG_20170211_144355_zpsysmprw0x.jpg

• Like 1

Today my nephew and I turned this:

DSC06684_zpsuijwio7d.jpg

into this:

DSC06688_zpsw60k8zrx.jpg

The TL-01B buggy had been given to my nephew several years ago by a friend of the family after he had put a fair bit of mileage on it. My nephew piled on even more miles, including several vigorous outings to the local skate park, with the inevitable broken parts which were repaired as best he could using whatever fell to hand.

The buggy's final outing was a couple of weeks ago, when he joined me at our local indoor flat track for a taste of proper racing in the "run what ya brung" beginners' class. A trip into the barriers during free practice severed a lower arm mount from the chassis, but he managed to complete the event with the arm held on with glass-reinforced tape(!), holding off his younger brother to finish a respectable 4th in his class.

Seeing proper indoor race cars in action on a high-grip carpet track impressed him to the point that he wanted a touring car of his own, so since the buggy was basically dead, we decided to turn it into a TL-01 touring car with a fresh set of chassis mouldings, shorter arms and dogbones, conventional body posts, some touring wheels and tyres from my stash and a budget "Niassn Skyllin" shell off fleabay.

We spent the afternoon transferring the drivetrain, radio gear and other salvageable parts into the new chassis, which went well, resulting in a thoroughly refreshed RC car that should last many more miles, and allow him to compete a bit more fairly with the other budget touring chassis raced at the club.

• Like 2

On 9 February 2017 at 10:18, t2boats said:

This isn't really a "what I did to my model today" sort of thing, more of a: "having wandered passed this spurious shop in Schiphol Airport while on my way to work I had a demo of one of these!" 

It's incredible, perhaps not to many of you experienced drone folk, I dunno, but to me it was impressive seen as I've not really had much to do with one costing more than £100.. This particular one is €1400 :blink:  gulp!! Gotta say though, the sound was quite suppressive on it considering there's 6 brushless motors zooming away, the camera is top notch and it just stays at a constant point if you want, clever stuff! None of this wandering lark.. Feels well made n all, weighty yet well balanced. And the remote - that really is the mutts nuts! Nice big screen to see what the drone sees, and a 4km range :huh: 

After all that, I'd be tempted if monies allowed (just a hopeful dream I suppose!)  but saying that - realistically how much use would I have out of it considering how busy I am..?! Anyone else ventured into this sort of expenditure? If so, how often do you use such an expensive piece of kit? 

IMG_1046.JPG

Myself and roverman have just acquired the very same this week, so far I'm very impressed, all I would say is if you can afford one go for it, I never have understood "what if I don't use it" who cares? It's your money it dosnt eat anything and it looks great on a shelf.

• Like 1