• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dez Chand

Garry

dez-chand2.jpg

It was with shock and great sadness that CML learned of the passing of Dez Chand this week in a tragic road accident.

For well over ten years CML worked with Dez, from his time as Radio Race Car Magazine Editor to more recent projects such as in-house brand product testing and evaluation, writing instructions, photography and video.

When he wasn't out riding his Honda motorcycle (he was class champion in his younger years) he was championing classes such as Formula One, Motorcycles and Brushless 1/8th to name but a few. A true r/c hobbyist he was just as enthusiastic now, as he was back in the late 1990's when we first met him. A popular face on the Midlands circuit, he was synonymous with his Coca-Cola styled red and white body colours (he was an avid fan of all things Coke), and was a larger than life character that was only too willing to help others trackside and pass on his extensive knowledge of the hobby.

Dez was someone who put a lot more into the hobby, than he probably ever got out and those that knew him will sorely miss him and his infectious enthusiasm. Our condolences and thoughts are with his family at this very difficult time.

Close friends have suggested running Coke logos/colours on their cars when racing this weekend. We to would like to further support that and any event that may be organised in the coming months in his memory.

Gone but not forgotten. Rest in peace Dez.

dez-chand.jpg

Source CML.

I'd like to echo the comments of CML and the whole UK RC scene, this news has hit a lot of people hard as Dez was one in a million. He never ignored anyone who needed a hand with advice or things trackside. He helped me personally with cameras and pointed me in the right direction with my photos on a regular basis. During his time in charge of Radio Race Car magazine, he championed the less-known classes of RC such as Micros, Rock Crawlers, and his real passion, RC bikes. He was a regular of those race series when time allowed, and without his input, RRCI wouldn't be in the position is it today. I'm really going to miss seeing him around.

RIP Dez.

I met Dez through the crawling scene, he supported us through the magazine and personally and took part this is his crawler from the 2009 crawler nationals.

img280_10072009084045_8.jpg

Dez, you will be missed by us all. My thoughts to your family and freinds, goodbye chap. :(

Edited by biggusditchus

Totally shocked :( I never met Dez personally but we have lost a great ambasador for the RC scene. It was his writings, in print and online, that his passion and enthusiasum shone through and gave me the insight and inspiration to try stuff away from the norm.

Gonna be sadly missed. Deepest sympathy to friends and family.

Nige.

• 2 weeks later...